F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Thoughts about coilovers
proTUNING Freaks

04-16-2021, 11:59 PM   #1
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 428i Xdrive

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i xdrive  [0.00]
2013 128i  [0.00]
Thoughts about coilovers

Hey everybody,

I just watched engineeringexplain's video on why you shouldn't (necessarily) upgrade your suspension on road cars

While it didn't dissuade me from still wanting to swap to coilovers, I do wonder, does anyone else feel this way?

Obviously many of us want to retain O.E feel with a sportier aspect but for the money we spend on our cars, we want to get our money's worth for performance as well, right?

Idk maybe it's just cause cars are getting much better off the lot and we just need that extra push to break our backs over bumps but I'd like some feedback from people
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 08:30 AM   #2
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

If you don't know what you're doing and mismatch springs and shocks then your car may ride worse. Coilovers are usually safer as they supposed to be tested together. So do your research. Tho it's going to be a challenge researching here as most don't know what's a good ride and what's not (eg dropped car on H&R super sports with stock xDrive dampers or some alibaba special coilovers).

If you have xDrive or adaptive and want to keep it go bilstein otherwise go ohlins r&t
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 08:41 AM   #3
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 428i Xdrive

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i xdrive  [0.00]
2013 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
If you don't know what you're doing and mismatch springs and shocks then your car may ride worse. Coilovers are usually safer as they supposed to be tested together. So do your research. Tho it's going to be a challenge researching here as most don't know what's a good ride and what's not (eg dropped car on H&R super sports with stock xDrive dampers or some alibaba special coilovers).

If you have xDrive or adaptive and want to keep it go bilstein otherwise go ohlins r&t
I 100% agree, my plan was to go for b14's to get rid of some of my xdrive monster truck gap

Additionally, having read threads of people saying how much people hated lowering springs for always riding on bump stops, it definitely has its place just not for a strictly performance upgrade

Regardless, like I mentioned, the video didn't dissuade me from still wanting to do the upgrade, it'll definitely be an aesthetic thing for me with the less body roll being an additional factor, I just wanted some other members weigh in for how their setups have fared since swapping
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 08:51 AM   #4
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacinto View Post
I 100% agree, my plan was to go for b14's to get rid of some of my xdrive monster truck gap

Additionally, having read threads of people saying how much people hated lowering springs for always riding on bump stops, it definitely has its place just not for a strictly performance upgrade

Regardless, like I mentioned, the video didn't dissuade me from still wanting to do the upgrade, it'll definitely be an aesthetic thing for me with the less body roll being an additional factor, I just wanted some other members weigh in for how their setups have fared since swapping
B14 are a great option! A friend of mine got his installed a few weeks ago and loves the drop on the car and ride. He got them for the same reason you're going for.
Appreciate 1
djacinto355.00
      04-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #5
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

IMO most of the suspension modding is done for aesthetic purposes. I do think that the right setup can instill more confidence on the road but for again for a daily driver, it probably won't matter. That being said, I would still get either a good matched spring/shock combo or entry level coil over set up.

2019 440i xDrive | Muffler Delete |
Appreciate 1
djacinto355.00
      04-17-2021, 06:44 PM   #6
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

You know it's funny but I just watched that video the other day too and was thinking the same thing. Why do I bother with suspension upgrades anymore? And if I am honest with myself, it's just for looks and maybe some better "feel". But that's it. Back when I was doing track days with my old M3 there were things I did that for sure made it faster, but really killed the streetable use for the car. So I ended up with two cars. Which doesn't make much sense anymore given where I am in life.

The video brings up really good points and is based off this tire rack test with e92's. So while not completely relevant to our f30's it is still, in the family, so to speak.

https://m.tirerack.com/suspension/te...ch_rd_2010.jsp

Modern bmws are softer but also much more capable in that softer set up than cars of recent past that were much stiffer. I don't agree with Jason that this is better. I personally like a car that is a bit stiffer sprung and that feels like it's holding the road tightly even though it's pretty much the same speed and grip as the softer set up. Case in point my f30. It's a 340 m sport with track handling package. (Adaptive shocks). Out of the box I liked the ride for a daily when it was in sport but I wanted it to look better (sit lower) so I tried a few different things and finally settled on a set of coil overs. I like how it rides now and the way it feels in corners. Probably over kill on the street but it's the look and feel I wanted. Given what tire rack found in their testing I doubt it's much faster. Maybe a couple seconds at best on an average two min per lap road course. Which in the daily "race" to get groceries or take kids to sports, means nothing.

So in summary, I personally think most suspension changes need to classified as cosmetic mods and not performance mods. At least for street cars. And I am ok in that category. Leave the crazy set ups for the track guys and if you truly want to add performance on a street car buy the absolute best tires you can fit/afford. That's where you truly can feel a difference. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
djacinto355.00
      04-17-2021, 07:26 PM   #7
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

@therealm3 you haven't driven on the floaty boaty xDrive suspension. Then you'll know how truly bmw was off the mark
Appreciate 1
djacinto355.00
      04-17-2021, 07:34 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

KW Street Comfort coilovers transform the behavior of xDrive suspension. Of all coilovers which offer substantial performance improvement at a reasonable price, I would recommend these on any given day.
Appreciate 1
djacinto355.00
      04-17-2021, 07:40 PM   #9
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
KW Street Comfort coilovers transform the behavior of xDrive suspension. Of all coilovers which offer substantial performance improvement at a reasonable price, I would recommend these on any given day.
I wouldn't do kw if I plan to keep it for a while: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375462

Friends of mine had similar experiences
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 11:12 PM   #10
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
@therealm3 you haven't driven on the floaty boaty xDrive suspension. Then you'll know how truly bmw was off the mark
I actually had one as a loaner for a few weeks while our x5 was getting fixed so I can relate to the x drive pain folks have. Recently I had a g20 x drive m sport while they were doing the eccentric shaft on my 340 and it wasn't nearly way I remember the f30 drive. So maybe they learned from their mistakes. Who knows.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 09:19 AM   #11
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
I actually had one as a loaner for a few weeks while our x5 was getting fixed so I can relate to the x drive pain folks have. Recently I had a g20 x drive m sport while they were doing the eccentric shaft on my 340 and it wasn't nearly way I remember the f30 drive. So maybe they learned from their mistakes. Who knows.
Yes, bmw didn't jack up the height and soften for xDrive in the g20
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #12
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
You know it's funny but I just watched that video the other day too and was thinking the same thing. Why do I bother with suspension upgrades anymore? And if I am honest with myself, it's just for looks and maybe some better "feel". But that's it. Back when I was doing track days with my old M3 there were things I did that for sure made it faster, but really killed the streetable use for the car. So I ended up with two cars. Which doesn't make much sense anymore given where I am in life.

The video brings up really good points and is based off this tire rack test with e92's. So while not completely relevant to our f30's it is still, in the family, so to speak.

Modern bmws are softer but also much more capable in that softer set up than cars of recent past that were much stiffer. I don't agree with Jason that this is better. I personally like a car that is a bit stiffer sprung and that feels like it's holding the road tightly even though it's pretty much the same speed and grip as the softer set up. Case in point my f30. It's a 340 m sport with track handling package. (Adaptive shocks). Out of the box I liked the ride for a daily when it was in sport but I wanted it to look better (sit lower) so I tried a few different things and finally settled on a set of coil overs. I like how it rides now and the way it feels in corners. Probably over kill on the street but it's the look and feel I wanted. Given what tire rack found in their testing I doubt it's much faster. Maybe a couple seconds at best on an average two min per lap road course. Which in the daily "race" to get groceries or take kids to sports, means nothing.

So in summary, I personally think most suspension changes need to classified as cosmetic mods and not performance mods. At least for street cars. And I am ok in that category. Leave the crazy set ups for the track guys and if you truly want to add performance on a street car buy the absolute best tires you can fit/afford. That's where you truly can feel a difference. Just my 2 cents.
You can't say it's not a performance mod because your use case doesn't make use of said performance improvement a majority of thr time.

That would be equivalent to saying a knife isn't a deadly weapon because most of the time it's used to cut carrots.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 01:03 PM   #13
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
I wouldn't do kw if I plan to keep it for a while: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375462

Friends of mine had similar experiences
There isn't a mechanical component which lasts forever. Manufacturers do not want to support consistently failing products because in automotive aftermarket two things drive sales: community feedback (this and other forums) and general absence of negative feedback. The outcome is profitability. Warranty repairs directly impact profitability and sales based on recommendation.

KW Street Comfort coilovers served my prior 2013 BMW 335i xDrive sedan exceptionally well. My experience of course may not be identical to others.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 01:59 PM   #14
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
There isn't a mechanical component which lasts forever. Manufacturers do not want to support consistently failing products because in automotive aftermarket two things drive sales: community feedback (this and other forums) and general absence of negative feedback. The outcome is profitability. Warranty repairs directly impact profitability and sales based on recommendation.

KW Street Comfort coilovers served my prior 2013 BMW 335i xDrive sedan exceptionally well. My experience of course may not be identical to others.
I'd agree but price seems to be a big motivator as bmws depreciate hard. Otherwise why would anyone recommend BC racing coilovers? Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 11:53 PM   #15
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Quote:

You can't say it's not a performance mod because your use case doesn't make use of said performance improvement a majority of thr time.

That would be equivalent to saying a knife isn't a deadly weapon because most of the time it's used to cut carrots.
My point was that there really isn't an "improvement" to use. It just feels different and looks better. Therefore not really a "performance" upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 10:29 PM   #16
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
B14 are a great option! A friend of mine got his installed a few weeks ago and loves the drop on the car and ride. He got them for the same reason you're going for.
Question: On the b14, isn't the minimum drop 30mm? I guess it's 30mm from the 'standard' suspension, not sport, nor M performance suspension?
      04-29-2021, 10:59 PM   #17
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
Question: On the b14, isn't the minimum drop 30mm? I guess it's 30mm from the 'standard' suspension, not sport, nor M performance suspension?
correct and op is on xdrive so i think on F32 it also rides higher than standard

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 12:57 AM   #18
RbBugBitMe
PdV Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive sedan

Garage List
This testing reaffirmed my personal bias, after I saw EE presenting the data I knew what was going on and had to go to tire rack to look it up. Don't make judgments off of Eibach. Eibach is a spring manufacturer with a few MBAs that knew they needed to expand the business by selling the things their springs sit on. They're not a serious damper company.

I will say, I expected more when comparing stock to just stiffer shorter springs. It's possible in both scenarios the car was riding around on the jounce bumper which equalized the grip levels a bit but who knows how the modified cars were setup. Shit camber settings will equalize all as well.
Appreciate 0