F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Noise when turning and braking at low speed
ARMA SPEED

08-16-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
Horn High Aces
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440xi GC

Noise when turning and braking at low speed

Recently I've been hearing a pretty loud noise almost every time I turn and brake at low speeds. It happens when pulling into a parking spot (to the left or right) and I captured it on video while pulling through a drive thru. I thought it might be a brake dust issue, but it happens all the time, even after cleaning the wheels. I did recently change to 437M wheels and don't remember hearing this, at least not this loud, until after changing out the wheels. The car is a 2017 F36 with 32k miles. It has the M-perf "blue" brakes that come with the track handling package. Brake fluid was changed and the brake pads/rotors were inspected at 30k miles by BMW in January as part of their CPO conditioning. I do get the "normal" squeaky brakes when they are cold, but they function normally and quietly under all other conditions. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gt8hX4XxKBTv3ybe9
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 10:30 PM   #2
Horn High Aces
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Happened again a couple times today. Seems to be worse once the brakes are warmed up.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 04:26 PM   #3
isleepinadrawer
Registered
Rep
Drives: f30

hi there, did you ever solve this problem? I have the same issue right now...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

That sounds like a sympathetic vibration. I'd try re-lubing the pads, carriers and calipers, and checking the torques on all the brake components.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 08:44 AM   #5
Horn High Aces
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleepinadrawer View Post
hi there, did you ever solve this problem? I have the same issue right now...
Unfortunately no. When I took it in for service at my local dealer, I mentioned how noisy the brakes were. They took if for a test drive and said there are "hot spots" on the rotors. They quoted me $2600 for a front/rear brake job. F that, so I searched the forum and ordered new Hawk pads and StopTech rotors. I'll get them installed at a local independent shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I love these dealers who tell you that you need a $2600 brake job instead of $3 worth of brake grease. BTW, hot spots on rotors, aka heat warp, cause brakes to pulsate. They don't cause noise. His shop must be on a very long stretch of straight highway to see you coming from so far away.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 09:29 PM   #7
Horn High Aces
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I've had new pads and rotors on for a couple of weeks now and not heard the sound once. I'm so glad to be rid of it!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #8
arcademachin3
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn High Aces View Post
Recently I've been hearing a pretty loud noise almost every time I turn and brake at low speeds. It happens when pulling into a parking spot (to the left or right) and I captured it on video while pulling through a drive thru. I thought it might be a brake dust issue, but it happens all the time, even after cleaning the wheels. I did recently change to 437M wheels and don't remember hearing this, at least not this loud, until after changing out the wheels. The car is a 2017 F36 with 32k miles. It has the M-perf "blue" brakes that come with the track handling package. Brake fluid was changed and the brake pads/rotors were inspected at 30k miles by BMW in January as part of their CPO conditioning. I do get the "normal" squeaky brakes when they are cold, but they function normally and quietly under all other conditions. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gt8hX4XxKBTv3ybe9
Hi did you ever figure this out? I am having the same issue on my x3m40i. Turning and breaking, even in idle. It's a weird vibraiting woooOOOoow. Sound. So odd because nothing I can do force it to start or stop. Seems to have no rhyme or reason.
Appreciate 0