F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Good interior vinyl wraps besides Carbon?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-27-2020, 12:53 PM   #1
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 320i xDrive

Good interior vinyl wraps besides Carbon?

I'm not entirely opposed to carbon, as there are some benefits to it. But I also feel like it's kinda played, out and is sort of the 'default' trim for BMW enthusiasts who upgrade from lolwoodgrain or the cheapo silver painted plastic trash I have.

Has anyone tried doing flat black or metallic flat black inside? Does it pick up tons of oil and fingerprints?

I don't like the gloss vinyls mostly due to the "orange peel" effect, where in the light it looks really lumpy. Seems like it would get fingernail ticks really easily.

I like the idea of a JET BLACK carbon, where it's not so grey looking. I really want to black-out my interior, but also don't want the trim to look any cheaper than it does right now.

Any experiences would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
FPJK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335 / E92 M3

Haven't wrapped my interior trim (I like my Ash Grain). However there are videos all over youtube that discuss the process and options. I personally think a forged carbon wrap would give you the look of a dark interior but not the typical carbon fiber or piano black look.

Here is a video I found of a guy with an e9X who does it. The thumbnail makes the wrap look more grey but the video shows it darker.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 08:54 AM   #3
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPJK View Post
Haven't wrapped my interior trim (I like my Ash Grain). However there are videos all over youtube that discuss the process and options. I personally think a forged carbon wrap would give you the look of a dark interior but not the typical carbon fiber or piano black look.

Here is a video I found of a guy with an e9X who does it. The thumbnail makes the wrap look more grey but the video shows it darker.

Best of luck!
I think the forged carbon is a little loud for my taste, but looks really cool.

I actually managed to find something that fit my criteria (not glossy, not easy to pick up prints, dark/black, preferably not just another carbon fiber weave...). Went with the 3M 2080 Matrix Black MX12. Seems like a nice understated design and something different than what you see every day. Slightly worried about stretching it too much, since that pattern will show it. Was pretty expensive compared to other finishes too. But I bought extra and hopefully it comes out nice enough I can share images here!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      11-08-2020, 11:13 PM   #4
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep

Update: It came out great! The material is hard to photograph, but the texture is really premium looking in direct outdoor sunlight. Almost feels like fabric, not vinyl. Looks like OEM! The black is a really great match with the interior black plastics.

The process was easy, and actually really fun. I took off all of the plastic pieces from the trim. Anything that was clipped on I removed, which made the finished product more factory looking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
FPJK27.50
rcaso26331.00
eleven11371.50
AG23253.00
      11-09-2020, 11:10 AM   #5
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGengarEX View Post
Update: It came out great! The material is hard to photograph, but the texture is really premium looking in direct outdoor sunlight. Almost feels like fabric, not vinyl. Looks like OEM! The black is a really great match with the interior black plastics.

The process was easy, and actually really fun. I took off all of the plastic pieces from the trim. Anything that was clipped on I removed, which made the finished product more factory looking.
That looks great. Is the texture in the vinyl or coming through the trim pieces?

Can you link to the exact product you used?
      11-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #6
blumagic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive , 2013 SHO

i did black suede vinyl

Appreciate 2
      11-11-2020, 12:36 AM   #7
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonM3 View Post
That looks great. Is the texture in the vinyl or coming through the trim pieces?

Can you link to the exact product you used?
The texture is on the vinyl. I had the basic silver painted plastic trim. The film I used was 3M 2080 Matrix Black. It's basically the same as the BMW M-sport hex pattern trim but jet black instead of silver. Definitely a little more expensive than other films, but it looks ultra premium and is perfect for this application.

I got it from RVinyl store on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2x5' is enough for the whole job only if you don't mess anything up or do test pieces. I ordered an extra 1x5' piece but didn't end up needing it.
Appreciate 2
TonM3249.00
dg0212.50
      11-11-2020, 12:38 AM   #8
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumagic View Post
i did black suede vinyl

That's actually really nice looking! Was that material difficult to work with?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 05:49 PM   #9
blumagic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive , 2013 SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGengarEX View Post
That's actually really nice looking! Was that material difficult to work with?
Easiest I’ve ever worked with, it’s pretty stiff so it doesn’t wrinkle and get air bubbles
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #10
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep

Quote:
Easiest I’ve ever worked with, it’s pretty stiff so it doesn’t wrinkle and get air bubbles
Really like the look of it! If I ever decide to change it up, might go that route.

The Hex vinyl is holding up really well though, I enjoy it every time I get into the car. Feels really nice to the touch, and cleans up super easily.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #11
Neverlast
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 LCI 320d

Hey MGengarEX, any chance you can let me know how the Matrix Black texture is holding up? Im interested in sourcing the same material but supplier advised against using it in the cabin as the holes in texture could pick up grit and grime? Is this valid or?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 10:02 AM   #12
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverlast View Post
Hey MGengarEX, any chance you can let me know how the Matrix Black texture is holding up? Im interested in sourcing the same material but supplier advised against using it in the cabin as the holes in texture could pick up grit and grime? Is this valid or?
This is not true at all.

Not only has it held up, it looks like new. Easy to clean using basic interior products. Hasn't scratched either. Not sure what they're referring to. The texture is slightly raised, but nowhere near enough to capture any particles whatsoever. Very durable, and I found it very easy to work with. Just be careful not to overheat, as it will "warp" the pattern.

I still absolutely adore it. Looks a million times better than the painted silver crap I had.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2021, 06:38 AM   #13
Neverlast
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 LCI 320d

Thanks for reporting back.

I disregarded their warnings as I found the pattern very nice looking
and got a piece of Matrix 2080 which I took to a workshop as
I have 0 experience and the material was not cheap so did not want to practice with it.

The result was more than I expected, actually looks more OEM than the silver plastic trim
and tones down the whole cabin while killing the reflection on the windshield which I dislike. So thanks for the revelation and nice pictures, highly recommended product and mod!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 07:17 AM   #14
masterzapper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i X Touring

Quote:
i did black suede vinyl

Do you have a link to the product you used?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 11:47 AM   #15
Blue90
Rep
Drives: Bmw f36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk_9000 View Post

Looks great. Are you still here?
Appreciate 0