F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 LED turnsignals installed
Studio RSR

06-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #45
omarliendo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport Line - Red

Thanks for the rear pictures!
Ok, after reading this last post of yours i will install the front ones as soon as i get the car. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 01:34 AM   #46
BonanzaNLD
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: waiting for...328i (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
Yeah you can install them and see how they work with you. It's not like anything bad will happen

Thing is, they might flash (very weak) once in a while, like once every minute or so.. but tbh, after that one time I never seen it happen again. I was coding at that time so maybe that had something to do with it, I don't know.

The only thing I don't like about my current LED's is that they are a bit weak in the front.. I wish they would be brighter, which is why I have ordered new LED's with more lights. The current once are bright enough imo, I just think they could be brighter. The ones that I have in the rear are sufficient for sure, they are just as bright as the brake lights (but, to be sure, I ordered even brighter ones for the brakes lol)

So yeah, I think you should just install them and see if they work good for you.. it's like a 5 minute job, pretty easy to do
Thanks man. Leaves me with another question: where can I find the brighter ones? Also on ebay?
      06-22-2012, 02:47 AM   #47
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonanzaNLD View Post
Thanks man. Leaves me with another question: where can I find the brighter ones? Also on ebay?
Yeah I found some on ebay *i think*.. thing is, I haven't got them yet so I don't know if they are actually brighter but they should be since there's a lot more led's.. these are the one I ordered now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200779825033...ht_1096wt_1280 but, again, I have no idea if these work without errors or if they are any good. They are from Hong Kong and pretty cheap compared to the other ones. I guess it's worth trying.. could be lucky =)

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #48
BonanzaNLD
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I found some on ebay *i think*.. thing is, I haven't got them yet so I don't know if they are actually brighter but they should be since there's a lot more led's.. these are the one I ordered now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200779825033...ht_1096wt_1280 but, again, I have no idea if these work without errors or if they are any good. They are from Hong Kong and pretty cheap compared to the other ones. I guess it's worth trying.. could be lucky =)
I'll await your review

Installed the front turn signals Today and they seem to work fine. It is a major improvement over the amber bulbs.

svache: did you 'hear' the turn signals when they accidently blinked? I did not notice it yet, but how often am I standing in front of my car with the signals on?

Anyway, for those still doubting: it is a 5min job.
      06-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #49
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
svache: did you 'hear' the turn signals when they accidently blinked? I did not notice it yet, but how often am I standing in front of my car with the signals on?
Nah, I noticed the occasional blink because I was coding in total darkness (just my laptop screen was on) and the front of my car was very close to a wall (like 2-3 centimeters away from it). So I noticed that, occasionally, there was a very dim (heel erg zacht) blink from time to time. I doubt you would be able to see it during daytime and it's probably hardly noticeable at night, especially when your regular lights are on. I have been thinking, since I was actually coding at that time, it is possible that my coding was causing it.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #50
Balzz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
2021 X3M  [0.00]
svache, think these would work for the rears? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-Red-68-SMD-...item3f1294fc4f
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #51
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzz View Post
svache, think these would work for the rears? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-Red-68-SMD-...item3f1294fc4f
lol those are the ones I have on order for my brake lights. The ones I have for my tails have 42 LEDs and are bright enough but figured it wouldn't hurt to add some extra LED's for the brake lights

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #52
Balzz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
2021 X3M  [0.00]
Ordered! So how does one get to that bulb? The fronts were a breeze.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #53
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ordered! So how does one get to that bulb? The fronts were a breeze.
It's pretty simple. There's one plastic screw-like thing on some small piece of plastic cover on the side of the outer tail lights. Unscrew that and take the plastic piece off. Then there's two nuts attached to the tail light housing that needs to be removed. After these are removed you have to pull the light out of it's socket (it's attached with some kind of pin at one part so you need to use a little force). After you have done this, the housing is lose and you just need to press on four fasteners on the back of the housing so they click open and you can pull the back off.

It probably sounds more difficult than it really is. It's also written in the manual with some pictures, but really, it's darn simple to do

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #54
Balzz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
2021 X3M  [0.00]
Thx svache. Just got the ship notification!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #55
BTT 335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M Sport- F30 M Sport

Hello Svache,
question? I try to buy the rear leds but when I put my model car 335 whit all trims the system says,

error
This part is not compatible with 2012 BMW 335i .

Do you thing is not a good idea buy that leds?

thank you
      06-26-2012, 03:45 AM   #56
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The way I figured it, the F30 is so new, they don't know if it would fit or not. Sadly they don't update their data. As long as the fitting size is the same, you should be ok.

Word of caution to everyone about the occasional blinking: after we installed new fog lights (white xenon-like bulbs) tonight, we noticed that both the LED's on front and back were occasionally blinking. I also noticed while driving once now, so I'm guessing it's just a constant thing. I'm going to order some resistors and see if that fixes the problem

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #57
BonanzaNLD
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
The way I figured it, the F30 is so new, they don't know if it would fit or not. Sadly they don't update their data. As long as the fitting size is the same, you should be ok.

Word of caution to everyone about the occasional blinking: after we installed new fog lights (white xenon-like bulbs) tonight, we noticed that both the LED's on front and back were occasionally blinking. I also noticed while driving once now, so I'm guessing it's just a constant thing. I'm going to order some resistors and see if that fixes the problem
Any idea on the time interval (you mentioned 30sec in an earlier post)? I stared at the LED's for 5min (ignition on), but did not notice the blinking.

Btw, any reason you did not buy these for the front turn signals (30 LED's):http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-7507-PY21W-30-SMD-LED-Amber-Indicator-Bulbs-/ ?

Last edited by BonanzaNLD; 06-26-2012 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #58
Balzz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
2021 X3M  [0.00]
The 18 led lamp listing says (for what it's worth) it's error free with resistors built in.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #59
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Any idea on the time interval (you mentioned 30sec in an earlier post)? I stared at the LED's for 5min (ignition on), but did not notice the blinking.

Btw, any reason you did not buy these for the front turn signals (30 LED's):http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-7507-PY21W-30-SMD-LED-Amber-Indicator-Bulbs-/ ?
Well, funny enough, I actually received these in the mail today

I ordered these after the other ones because I think they might be more bright =) If you didn't see them blink after that long, then I doubt yours are actually blinking like mine do. I'll see if I have time to make a short clip later on so I can show how the blinking is

Quote:
The 18 led lamp listing says (for what it's worth) it's error free with resistors built in.
That's correct, that's the main reason I went with them in the first place. However, these are the ones that blink from time to time lol. I also noticed my new (red ones) did the same. I'm thinking about looking in the code to see what I can do about this (maybe lower the voltage that goes to the LED's, since resistors kind of do the same) and if that doesn't work I'll try to see if resistors will help to get rid of the occasional blinks

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #60
BonanzaNLD
Private
Netherlands
Rep

svache: how are the new front turn signals? Big improvement over the previous ones in terms of brightness?

Btw, you spoke some Dutch in a previous post. Google translate or do you perhaps visit the Netherlands once in a while (could use someone for coding my 328 )?
      06-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #61
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
svache: how are the new front turn signals? Big improvement over the previous ones in terms of brightness?

Btw, you spoke some Dutch in a previous post. Google translate or do you perhaps visit the Netherlands once in a while (could use someone for coding my 328 )?
I have no idea how they are yet, we haven't installed them yet. Maybe tonight we will, I'll let you know here when we did =)

lol.. nah, I don't need Google Translate, ik ben Nederlander haha.. Ik woon sinds 2008 in Hawaii omdat mijn vrouw hier vandaan komt. Zoals je weet is het in Nederland niet gemakkelijk qua immigratiebeleid dus besloten we hier te gaan wonen (plus 't was wat fijner ivm het mooie weer hier in Hawaii hehe).

And yeah, I still frequently visit the Netherlands but, unfortunately, due to circumstances the first planned trip is not until around Queensday 2013 (I'm still hoping for xmas/nye but I don't think my wife's boss will let her go around those days) .. if you're still in need of coding by then, just let me know and I'll bring my cable and everything so we can hook up =)

(btw, for the English speaking among us who really want to know what I said there in Dutch (since it's a forum in the English language): in short I told him I moved to HI since 2008 since my wife is from here )

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #62
Alvine90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: slow

are these visible in direct sunlight? If you don't mind modifying the bulbs, you could get 1156 bulbs and file one pin down like I did since 1156 bulbs have more variety.

I have these in white and they are brighter than the stock bulbs in direct sunlight. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-7-5W-LED-...s_Gear&vxp=mtr

You could check out the review I made on those bulbs.
      06-28-2012, 06:10 AM   #63
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvine90 View Post
are these visible in direct sunlight? If you don't mind modifying the bulbs, you could get 1156 bulbs and file one pin down like I did since 1156 bulbs have more variety.

I have these in white and they are brighter than the stock bulbs in direct sunlight. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-7-5W-LED-...s_Gear&vxp=mtr

You could check out the review I made on those bulbs.
They're visible but not as much as I would want them to be lol. I haven't had time to check out the new ones yet, maybe tomorrow or the day after

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #64
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
btw, in regards to the occasional blinking, I just went through the settings in the code and I noticed the voltage settings for the (standard) LED's are different from the (standard) bulbs... I haven't been able to test it yet but I have hope that this might solve the occasional blinking =)

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #65
Balzz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
2021 X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
They're visible but not as much as I would want them to be lol. I haven't had time to check out the new ones yet, maybe tomorrow or the day after
Waiting with baited breath.

It's almost a bad thing that they're so cheap...so easy to just trial and error but it adds up.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #66
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Waiting with baited breath.

It's almost a bad thing that they're so cheap...so easy to just trial and error but it adds up.
lol that's true, but if they do work, we did a cheap solution for many =)

Appreciate 0