F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Another interior wrap (DINOC CA-421)
GetBMWParts

12-09-2015, 07:25 PM   #89
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Jae, you are not alone my friend, I tried it a few times and failed miserably. Only the center console piece is on and looks good. Everything else was scrapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae@Smgcars.com View Post
I tried this and failed miserably... lol
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #90
kangheemin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
I'd just tossed a DIY for removal of my wrapped trim to BigVegas17, if this is into public interest, I'll add some pics here and the step-by-step for ya folks. Wanna have it?
Dang3r, could you upload that information please? I would really like to have a step by step guide on how to remove and all that as I would like to do this mod as well. I have the wood trim and really needs for it to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #91
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Looking awesome BigVegas!
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #92
BigVegas17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangheemin
Quote:
I'd just tossed a DIY for removal of my wrapped trim to BigVegas17, if this is into public interest, I'll add some pics here and the step-by-step for ya folks. Wanna have it?
Dang3r, could you upload that information please? I would really like to have a step by step guide on how to remove and all that as I would like to do this mod as well. I have the wood trim and really needs for it to go.
The combination of Alistairk's YouTube search tips a few thread pages up and Dang3r's thoughts and specs on the trim around the shifter boot did the trick for me 100%

'25 X5 x40i /// Oxford Green on Extended Tartufo | M Sport Professional | Executive Package | Parking Assistance Package | Climate Comfort Package
BUILD STATUS 111
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #93
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangheemin View Post
Sure thing, here goes, more pictures are following if necessary:

Proceed as follows: Remove the big frame around the shifter, where the silver trim is attached. Its only snapped in and could be removed by pulling in a soft spatula and tilt it to move the frame up.

Lift it over the shift knob and turn around.

You'll see onto the other side a row of 8 metal shims around the silver trim. DO NOT TRY TO PULL JUST DOWN, because the trim studs are medsoft plastic, which torns at certain tension load! It longs to remove the shims on the longer side and on top on bottom. The 3 close setted ones could be easy turned outta the frame when the rest are removed. You should insert a small slot screwdriver into the shim and bend one of the four flaps aside, that you'll be able to lift the shim without harming the stud. After removal bend back for later reapplication.

When trim removed, bring on the wrap and ensure not to let too much material staying over, because the space is not too much under the trim, cut close to avoid any bubbles.

Reinstall trim vice versa and press tight so verify a flat passing. Reinstall the shims onto the studs and make your way around to set them tight back around the whole trim.

Move the frame back over the shift knob and 'click' it back, enjoy your work and post some pics, good luck.

Hope, that'll help, any more questions, let me know.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox

Last edited by Dang3r; 12-10-2015 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #94
kangheemin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Awesome. Thank you so much. I will definitely try this soon along with the other guides!

Will upload once I start and finish hopefully soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #95
BigVegas17
Private First Class
Rep

@Dang3r: your instructions for the trim surrounding the shifter boot worked great. Thanks again!
Attached Images

'25 X5 x40i /// Oxford Green on Extended Tartufo | M Sport Professional | Executive Package | Parking Assistance Package | Climate Comfort Package
BUILD STATUS 111
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2015, 04:15 AM   #96
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Everytime welcome
You did great, the waves of the CF wrap are flowing same way, nice detail.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 10:14 AM   #97
kangheemin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Wow, all the work you guys did looks awesome. Fingers crossed that my work would come out looking like that.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 02:50 PM   #98
hoilui
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 328XI

Is there a specific trim removal piece I should get to remove handles?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 02:53 PM   #99
BigVegas17
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoilui
Is there a specific trim removal piece I should get to remove handles?
I bought a trim removal kit and just used a flat/square edged wedge shaped tool to get the handles off. The YouTube videos referenced earlier in the thread were invaluable. You can see the tool that they used in action.

BUILD STATUS 111
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #100
kangheemin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey guys, I have a question that might be a bit silly.
my 3m Dinoc wrap is coming today and I'm going to try and do the wrap sometime this week.
But I was wondering if you guys disconnected the battery when taking the trims off the car. The lower center console trim comes out with the IDrive, and was just wondering if the battery should be disconnected before we take those off to wrap it.
Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #101
RarScaryFrosty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangheemin View Post
my 3m Dinoc wrap is coming today and I'm going to try and do the wrap sometime this week.
But I was wondering if you guys disconnected the battery when taking the trims off the car. The lower center console trim comes out with the IDrive, and was just wondering if the battery should be disconnected before we take those off to wrap it.
Thanks guys.
No need to disconnect the battery at all. Just remove the trim and disconnect any wires that have connectors on them. I was able to disconnect that specific piece easily with the help of a flat head to depress the connector's locking pin.

No errors or messages popped up when I reconnected and started up my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #102
BigVegas17
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangheemin
Thanks guys.
I did not disconnect the battery, and I had no issues

BUILD STATUS 111
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #103
kangheemin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Great!
Thank you guys for the clarification.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 07:22 PM   #104
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

If you need a special explanation to disconnect the two plugs onto the big trim panel with the two grilles and switches, jump back here for 2 pages, I explained that in detail but w/o pics.
For the iDrive switch on center trim you'll need a torx bit for removing the screws. Good luck out there and merry xmas everybody, in Germany its time now

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 03:39 PM   #105
kangheemin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
If you need a special explanation to disconnect the two plugs onto the big trim panel with the two grilles and switches, jump back here for 2 pages, I explained that in detail but w/o pics.
For the iDrive switch on center trim you'll need a torx bit for removing the screws. Good luck out there and merry xmas everybody, in Germany its time now
Thanks Dang3r! Hoping to have some time tomorrow to get these done!
Merry Christmas everyone! Happy Holidays!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 06:20 PM   #106
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Wanted to add a little bit of info.

I used this matte black dinoc vinyl.
And the 2x2 matte Cf pattern is almost a 100% match to the m performance 2x2 Matte Cf pattern as well!!

I installed the m performance shifter the other day and was stoked to see the two patterns matching so very very close. The only difference is that the Cf on the m performance shifter is ever so slightly smaller than the vinyl. Other than that, they are essentially a perfect match!

I would have been bummed if the difference in Cf pattern was significant as it may look funny.

*added a few pictures to compare. Tough lighting...will see if I can get some better comparison pics of the pattern
Attached Images

Last edited by E30toF30; 01-02-2016 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 02:14 PM   #107
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Not bad at all and I agree to your opinion...but the dirty wildleather bootsack and the flake crumbled switch panel are really ruining the appearance

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #108
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Looking to try this soon any recommendations on a good piece to start on to get a hang of it?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #109
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuber View Post
Looking to try this soon any recommendations on a good piece to start on to get a hang of it?
Practice with the rear door handle pulls first. That way if they are not perfect, you will never see them. You should have a pretty good hang of it after the first door handle.

Otherwise, the centre console was also a very easy piece to do. The hardest was the large centre vent piece.

Make sure to space out the pieces on the vinyl prior to cutting so you can make sure you have the pieces properly placed so the Cf pattern is consistent throughout.

GL and have fun! Be patient, don't rush, and you will do a great job. It really I not very hard. I'd say it's like a 3/10 on difficulty scale of DIY.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #110
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Thanks for the tips throughout the thread will post pics when I get a chance to give it a go!
Appreciate 0