F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > TCB help?
GetBMWParts

11-26-2019, 05:36 AM   #1
Zeezu541
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i || M3 F80|| F90 M5

TCB help?

Hi guys I've just got a second hand tcb unit that sits in the trunk, I've plugged it in but it's still coming up as no connection on ista, does anyone know how to program it?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeezu541 View Post
Hi guys I've just got a second hand tcb unit that sits in the trunk, I've plugged it in but it's still coming up as no connection on ista, does anyone know how to program it?
Are you expecting to use it for Connected Drive, Real Time Traffic etc?

Did you original unit go bad?

EDIT: Apparently your original unit was stolen out of car based on previous post ?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
Zeezu541
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Wanted to get the sos call button to work at the very least
But I would like to use remote features, possibly by typing in the donor vin to connected drive when registering the system
But would like the car to more or less function like before
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But I would like to use remote features, possibly by typing in the donor vin to connected drive when registering the system
Was the used TCB purchased from a donor car in your Country?

Do you know the VIN?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
Zeezu541
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you know the VIN?
I brought the ecu of eBay so I'm guessing it was from the UK
Yes I know the last few digits of the vin that will be enough to identify the car
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you know the VIN?
Yes I know the last few digits of the vin that will be enough to identify the car
You should be able to put the vin in a vin decoder and determine what country the car was built for.

Likewise, you need the TCB part number to determine how old the TCB is as 3G is planned to Sunset in UK in 2020 which might make your unit a boat anchor after all this.

And how do you know that the TCB of the donor car isn't already registered to the previous owners with BMW?

These are things you MUST know before possibly wasting time installing something that otherwise will never work as you intend it to.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
Zeezu541
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you know the VIN?
You should be able to put the vin in a vin decoder and determine what country the car was built for.

Likewise, you need the TCB part number to determine how old the TCB is as 3G is planned to Sunset in UK in 2020 which might make your unit a boat anchor after all this.

And how do you know that the TCB of the donor car isn't already registered to the previous owners with BMW?

These are things you MUST know before possibly wasting time installing something that otherwise will never work as you intend it to.
I know the unit was made after 06/2016 and I believe the car was registered somewhere in Europe

Do you have a guide on how to do this
I just want to give it a try at least
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 02:13 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you know the VIN?

I know the unit was made after 06/2016 and I believe the car was registered somewhere in Europe

A guide? No. Similar steps to retrofitting an NBT EVO/ATM in NBT car which I have done.

As you cannot swap your eSIM from your current TCB as it was stolen, you would essentially swap (or actually install in your case) the TCB unit WITH A CAN filter and register it to car.

Do not attempt to change the TCB donor VIN.

You could then see if it works. Having never done a TCB retrofit, if it doesn't, you might need to also install a CAN filter on the HU and then code your HU VIN to match the donor TCB VIN. This would most likely require new FSC codes as well.

By putting CAN filters on the HU and TCB, You have isolated the donors VIN from yours.

At this point, your M140 should appear as the donor's X1 to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 02:18 PM   #9
Zeezu541
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you know the VIN?

A guide? No. Similar steps to retrofitting an NBT EVO/ATM in NBT car which I have done.

As you cannot swap your eSIM from your current TCB as it was stolen, you would essentially swap (or actually install in your case) the TCB unit WITH A CAN filter and register it to car.

You could then see if it works. Having never done a TCB retrofit, if it doesn't, you might need to also install a CAN filter on the HU and then change your HU VIN to match the donor TCB VIN.

By putting CAN filters on the HU and TCB, You have isolated the donors VIN from yours.
That seems like too much work just to enable remote features lol
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 02:23 PM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you know the VIN?

You could then see if it works. Having never done a TCB retrofit, if it doesn't, you might need to also install a CAN filter on the HU and then change your HU VIN to match the donor TCB VIN.

That seems like too much work just to enable remote features lol
It's not easy for a reason. It's not meant to be done.
Appreciate 0