F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2017 440i M-Sport without Blue Calipers?
ARMA SPEED

01-17-2020, 10:30 AM   #1
scoops
Rep
Drives: E60 525xi

2017 440i M-Sport without Blue Calipers?

Hey guys, I'm about to finalize a purchase on a 2017 BMW 440i Grand Coupe xDrive (Long time away from this forum glad to be back in a BMW )

The car is advertised as a 440i MSport but the brake calipers are just regular silver. Is it normal that a 4 series LCI doesn't come with the blue brakes if its msport?

A google search found me another thread talking about pre-LCI models not coming with those brakes by default. Is this the case for 2017?

Also the car has never had an accident however there is a rock chip on the front bumper which actually got under the paint... The car is white and you see some black under. How thin is the paint on the front bumper, is this normal?

Thanks guys, and looking forward to being active here in the coming months!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

M-Sport is the body style (front/rear bumpers, side skirts). M Brakes are separate option - alone or as part of Track Handling Pkg, along with Adaptive M Suspension...
Appreciate 2
F36GC_NYC159.50
eluded3039.50
      01-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoops View Post
Hey guys, I'm about to finalize a purchase on a 2017 BMW 440i Grand Coupe xDrive (Long time away from this forum glad to be back in a BMW )

The car is advertised as a 440i MSport but the brake calipers are just regular silver. Is it normal that a 4 series LCI doesn't come with the blue brakes if its msport?

A google search found me another thread talking about pre-LCI models not coming with those brakes by default. Is this the case for 2017?

Also the car has never had an accident however there is a rock chip on the front bumper which actually gut under the paint... The car is white and you see some black under. How thin is the paint on the front bumper, is this normal?

Thanks guys, and looking forward to being active here in the coming months!
BMW slaps the "M Sport" marketing term all over the place. The car probably has M Sport exterior panels, but not M Sport brakes.

It's important to look at the line items listed on the cars build sheet by plugging the VIN number into a website like mdecoder. Sometimes those codes and descriptions are self-explanatory and sometimes not so much.

ADDED:
For instance I've seen BMW describe both of these build codes as "M Sport". My speculation is that the origins of them having the same description may be the fact that they are coded with the same front/rear brake bias.

Despite sometimes having the same description, on an F30 335i the actual hardware parts and part numbers on the car are very different:

S2NHA: Front 370 mm/ Rear 345mm
P337A: Front 340mm/ Rear 330mm
Appreciate 1
F36GC_NYC159.50
      01-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
scoops
Rep

Ok amazing, thanks for the quick reply! I was worried they misadvertised the vehicle since I'll be finalizing the sales contract later today....

You guys know anything about the paint issue I have? I'm worried the front bumper was repainted. Why would a rock chip get under the paint? It's the only blemish on the whole car and the carfax shows 0 accidents, 1 owner, straight off of BMW lease so I should be in the clear right?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Yep. I have an M-Sport and only have the standard gray brakes. They work pretty well if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 10:51 AM   #6
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Ok amazing, thanks for the quick reply! I was worried they misadvertised the vehicle since I'll be finalizing the sales contract later today....

You guys know anything about the paint issue I have? I'm worried the front bumper was repainted. Why would a rock chip get under the paint? It's the only blemish on the whole car and the carfax shows 0 accidents, 1 owner, straight off of BMW lease so I should be in the clear right?
Dealers usually refresh the bumpers before putting a car up for sale. It most likely was repainted.
      01-17-2020, 11:04 AM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Cars often come back from lease and dealers do quick, cheap, poor re-sprays on both front and rear bumpers to sell them quick. They often play dumb about it. The proper way to repaint a bumper is to remove it from the car. Look carefully where the bumper meets other panels for signs that someone painted the bumper on the car. Look for overspray onto the other panels, poorly taped edges, materials like polishing compound in the crack between panels when it's not in other areas on the car.

If they've done a crappy job tell them that you want it redone properly. I've asked local high-end detailers to evaluate interior and exterior on a car that I wanted to buy. Either make an appointment and take the car for a test drive to the detail shop, or some detailers have run over to the dealership for me. Detailers are professionals so they spot stuff instantly and can help you make a dealer fix things before you buy. Even paintless dent repairs, etc. Later, I've had the detailer paint correct and ceramic coat, especially with a black car.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 11:34 AM   #8
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I'd love to see the stopping distances of 2 identical cars. One with the regular brakes & other with the upgraded blue brakes.

I have the blue brakes and they are very good but maybe the difference is marginal and thus not a must have option.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #9
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

isn't 2017 pre-LCI on 4 series?
      01-17-2020, 11:57 AM   #10
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
M-Sport is the body style (front/rear bumpers, side skirts). M Brakes are separate option - alone or as part of Track Handling Pkg, along with Adaptive M Suspension...
Different packages here north of the border. Track handling package isn’t available up here.

It would have been M Sport 1 and/or M Sport 2 packages.

M Sport 1 was essentially the “looks” package and 2 was the “performance” package.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #11
scoops
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Cars often come back from lease and dealers do quick, cheap, poor re-sprays on both front and rear bumpers to sell them quick.
Hmm very good to know thanks for this! I figured I was safe with the car having 0 accidents, one owner still under warranty and all. The thing is I'm in Montreal and the car is in Toronto so I'm buying it based off of dealer description, carfax, live video, and images. (No cars more local to me have the option set I'm looking for nor are any nearly as good a deal)

He has promised me the only blemish on this vehicle is that front bumper rock chip and our live video call seemed to confirm the car is pretty mint. I can't help but to believe that front bumper was resprayed though.

Quote:
Different packages here north of the border. Track handling package isn’t available up here.

Looks like M1 package.

I looked up the VIN on mdecoder as recommended by Johnung. It shows the following:

S715 M Aerodynamics Package
S337 M Sports Package
S710 M Leather Steering Wheel

So at least the car wasn't falsely advertised which was my worry.

Quote:
It has the 326HP engine, the new iDrive and the 440 badge instead of 435. I believe it's the LCI.

Last edited by scoops; 01-17-2020 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #12
scoops
Rep

Guys I got close up pictures of the rockchip, Does this look suspect to you guys?

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 12:52 PM   #13
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Quote:
Hmm very good to know thanks for this! I figured I was safe with the car having 0 accidents, one owner still under warranty and all. The thing is I'm in Montreal and the car is in Toronto so I'm buying it based off of dealer description, carfax, live video, and images. (No cars more local to me have the option set I'm looking for nor are any nearly as good a deal)

He has promised me the only blemish on this vehicle is that front bumper rock chip and our live video call seemed to confirm the car is pretty mint. I can't help but to believe that front bumper was resprayed though.

Looks like M1 package.

I looked up the VIN on mdecoder as recommended by Johnung. It shows the following:

S337 M Sports Package

It has the 326HP engine, the new iDrive and the 440 badge instead of 435. I believe it's the LCI.
LCI= new headlights/taillights, suspension changes

2017 4 series is an orphan with the b58 engine and new I drive but not LCI
      01-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #14
scoops
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
LCI= new headlights/taillights, suspension changes

2017 4 series is an orphan with the b58 engine and new I drive but not LCI
Oh, I learned something new, wasn't aware. Seems it gets the most important bits though.

Edit: Ya double checked on wikipedia. Looks like 2016 they started adding the new engine and iDrive (ID5), then LCI was unveiled in 2017 but started in the 2018 model year which added ID6, the new bumpers and lights as well as a stiffer suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #15
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
This exactly!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #16
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh, I learned something new, wasn't aware. Seems it gets the most important bits though.

Edit: Ya double checked on wikipedia. Looks like 2016 they started adding the new engine and iDrive (ID5), then LCI was unveiled in 2017 but started in the 2018 model year which added ID6, the new bumpers and lights as well as a stiffer suspension.
iDrive Lite can coded easily via BimmerCode! Super easy!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #17
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Guys I got close up pictures of the rockchip, Does this look suspect to you guys?

Ask them if the vehicle has the rockguard for the intercooler because realoem shows that as an item but I do not have it on my '17 440i.. maybe you can have it installed before buying the vehicle. It might take a long time because a lot of people were saying that the part has to be ordered..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 02:24 PM   #18
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
I'd love to see the stopping distances of 2 identical cars. One with the regular brakes & other with the upgraded blue brakes.

I have the blue brakes and they are very good but maybe the difference is marginal and thus not a must have option.
I've had both, assuming we are talking about the difference between the grey 340/330 brakes and the blue 370/345. There is a difference, mostly because of the more powerful two-piston rear calipers. It's not noticeable in normal daily driving. In emergency braking the 340/330 will tend to nose dive more while the 370/345 will squat more flat and controlled.

So someone who has the grey 340/330 brakes can upgrade just the rear brakes to 345's and it will be a performance upgrade. 18" wheels would be required.

Calipers can be painted to match each other right on the car using G2USA Caliper Paint. It brushes on and levels out to a sprayed on look as it dries. Two part epoxy like paint that is much tougher than any other caliper paint.

The most noticeable street brake upgrade by far is simply changing out the brake pads for higher quality such as Hawk 5.0 pads. Better than stock in every category.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #19
scoops
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelTiii View Post
iDrive Lite can coded easily via BimmerCode! Super easy!
Yes I totally plan to do this as soon as I get the car!!

Quote:
Ask them if the vehicle has the rockguard for the intercooler because realoem shows that as an item but I do not have it on my '17 440i
Thanks for the tip, I just looked it up and it appears there was a service bulletin where BMW dealerships will install it for free? The vehicle still has some warranty on it so maybe they'll do it.

The dealer I'm buying it from is not a BMW dealer so I doubt they'll be aware or know what to do. I'll take it to BMW after purchase and have them do it if this service bulletin is still around. I doubt this one has it since it appears it was added after 8/2017, this car was built before that.

Edit: NVM rock guard install is definitely not free.

Just called BMW, rock guard is $108 part, service dept was closed so they couldn't tell me how many hours of labor.

Edit 2: Upon further reading this is an insane issue... For the rockguard to fit some people are saying the whole radiator need to be changed?? What? Many saying BMW won't cover it? This seems like kind of a big deal....

Last edited by scoops; 01-17-2020 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #20
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Cars often come back from lease and dealers do quick, cheap, poor re-sprays on both front and rear bumpers to sell them quick.

Quote:
Different packages here north of the border. Track handling package isn't available up here.

Looks like M1 package.

S337 M Sports Package

Quote:
Given the distance, you might consider contacting a shop local to the dealer, and see if they'd be willing to send a mechanic/tech out to take a look at the car for a PPI for a nominal fee. Not to say the dealer isn't being 100% honest, but...:
      01-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #21
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Wow I haven’t ever seen OEM paint peeling before. I’d personally suspect a repaint job - you probably want to get it inspected by a paint pro before purchase. Might need to remove and repaint the whole bumper.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #22
JayFar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Convertible

Garage List
Is that wrapped? Does the Mdecoder page say it was White or Black?
Appreciate 0