F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > BMW 340i M Performance Brake Kit issues
ARMA SPEED

02-19-2020, 09:22 PM   #1
mholder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Black, mppsk

BMW 340i M Performance Brake Kit issues

I just took my 340i with the m performance brake kit into my BMW service center because the front brakes are starting to squeal a little bit after about 18,000 miles. The service center advised that the front pads are down to 3.5mm and BMW recommends replacement below 4mm. They further advise that my rotors show evidence of grooving and have a lip at the outer edge. BMW will not resurface the m performance rotors amd that they are a one time use item and they will not put new pads on without replacing the rotors. After vigorously questioning this they advised that if they could get the service manager to agree to changing out the pads only they would only do so If I agreed to release them from any liability and warranty provisions because they deem this course of action to be unsafe and against BMW policy for this brake system. So in essence they want me to replace the pads and the rotors for roughly $1500 per front axle. Does this sound right to those who own or are familiar with the m performance break kits.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 09:33 PM   #2
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

I would agree with what they are saying is best to do. Cutting brake rotors is bush league and only works for a couple months. The pads and rotors bed in together I always replace them together.

You can get an aftermarket set of pads and rotors for around $700. It's easy to do it yourself or pay the guy 800 to do it, and save yourself the time and hassle. I think that's fair.

I have a new set of OEM pads from that kit if you want, 75 shipped. Weird that you've worn them down that much, are you slamming on the brakes all over town / did you code the DSC .. it may be heavily front biased if you didn't code it, I don't know what the coding _actually does.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
mholder
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
I would agree with what they are saying is best to do. Cutting brake rotors is bush league and only works for a couple months. The pads and rotors bed in together I always replace them together.

You can get a set of pads for 250 ish and a set of rotors for 400. It's easy to do it yourself or pay the guy 800 to do it, and save yourself the time and hassle. I think that's fair.

I have a new set of OEM pads from that kit if you want, 75 shipped. Weird that you've worn them down that much, are you slamming on the brakes all over town / did you code the DSC .. it may be heavily front biased if you didn't code it, I don't know what the coding _actually does.
Thank you for your feedback. I am an extremely spirited driver being from NYC and having lived in LA, SF, Atlanta and now DFW. This is my second 3rd series after driving a 335i M sport for 10 years putting 198,000 miles on it with at least 90 thousand of the miles at well over 100 mph and 130 to 144 mph quite often. My current 340i Msport has the mppsk, mperformance brakes, mperformance suspension, Dinan Cold Air Intake and is being outfitted with the mperformance LSD as we speak. I don't quite drive as fast (top end) anymore but my driving style is even more aggressive these days so yes I use every once of the roughly 380 to 390hp I am now working with to the absolute max in heavy city traffic, highway and back country roads.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:18 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mholder View Post
they will not put new pads on without replacing the rotors. After vigorously questioning this they advised that if they could get the service manager to agree to changing out the pads only they would only do so If I agreed to release them from any liability and warranty provisions because they deem this course of action to be unsafe and against BMW policy for this brake system. So in essence they want me to replace the pads and the rotors for roughly $1500 per front axle. Does this sound right to those who own or are familiar with the m performance break kits.
This is garbage. There's no policy dictating pads AND rotors MUST be replaced at the same time. You can see the procedure yourself on newTIS.

Here's what BMW's procedure explicitly says:
Quote:
Attention!
New brake pads may only be installed if the brake disk thickness is greater than the minimum brake disc thickness.
So if they're telling you that you NEED new rotors, demand for the measurements that prove it (28.4mm front, and 20.4mm rear).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 07:43 PM   #5
mholder
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
This is garbage. There's no policy dictating pads AND rotors MUST be replaced at the same time. You can see the procedure yourself on newTIS.

Here's what BMW's procedure explicitly says:

So if they're telling you that you NEED new rotors, demand for the measurements that prove it (28.4mm front, and 20.4mm rear).
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:17 PM   #6
lonewolfB58
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive msport

There’s a difference between the M sport & M Performance brakes, If your car is equipped with Blue brake calipers then it has the M sport brakes... M performance brakes come with slightly larger rotors & only come in Red, Yellow, Orange calipers! Something to keep in mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 02:17 AM   #7
mholder
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfB58 View Post
There’s a difference between the M sport & M Performance brakes, If your car is equipped with Blue brake calipers then it has the M sport brakes... M performance brakes come with slightly larger rotors & only come in Red, Yellow, Orange calipers! Something to keep in mind.
I have the M Performance Brake Kit with the 4 piston front and 2 piston rear calipers with the M logo. The rotors are dimpled and slotted: fronts are 370 x 30mm and rears are 345 x 24 mm.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2020, 03:09 PM   #8
lonewolfB58
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive msport

Sucks man I’m honestly thinking of purchasing those, really don’t want to run into issues though!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #9
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfB58 View Post
Sucks man I’m honestly thinking of purchasing those, really don’t want to run into issues though!
There is no issue... it's just the dealer hustling the OP for maintenance that he does not need. They want more money.

There is nothing wrong with the m-sport or m-performance brakes. Performance option tend to make dealers think they can charge way too much $$$
Appreciate 1