F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Wheels, tires, and supsension set-up (Advice needed)
Studio RSR

09-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #1
tobefair-idontcare
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Wheels, tires, and supsension set-up (Advice needed)

Looking for feedback on the wheel/tire package I've narrowed down to and the springs I'd like to use. After a ton of research and trying to piece together various sources from cars similar to mine, plus using an offset calculator I've narrowed it to the following:

Car: 2017 340i Xdrive with Track Handling Package (EDC)

Goals: OEM+ appearance (slight drop, mainly up front), better handling, stock-ish supsension feel

Wheels: Front 19x8.5 et 35-38, Rear 19x9.5 et 38-42 (need help on offset too)

Tires: Front 245/40/19, Rear 265/35/19 (can I go 275s in the rear with the proper offset?)

Springs: F80 M3 ZCP Springs (possibly fronts only, however I'm looking for advice if this is a bad idea to do front springs only).

Any help is appreciated. Looking for feedback, but take it easy on me as I am not an expert and only have a basic grasp of suspension geometry, if that.
      09-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobefair-idontcare View Post
Goals: OEM+ appearance (slight drop, mainly up front), better handling, stock-ish supsension feel

Springs: F80 M3 ZCP Springs (possibly fronts only, however I'm looking for advice if this is a bad idea to do front springs only).
There's no problem with doing just front springs as long as you maintain front/rear ride frequency balance (need to stay around the same spring rate as your current front for that). With that limitation in mind handling won't improve much from just lowering a bit. If you changed both front and rear then you could go up in stiffness.

What are the two letters on the barcode stickers on your OE springs? You might be able to see them without having to jack the car up.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
tobefair-idontcare
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
There's no problem with doing just front springs as long as you maintain front/rear ride frequency balance (need to stay around the same spring rate as your current front for that). With that limitation in mind handling won't improve much from just lowering a bit. If you changed both front and rear then you could go up in stiffness.

What are the two letters on the barcode stickers on your OE springs? You might be able to see them without having to jack the car up.
How can I change just the front springs while keeping the same frequency balance? Could you elaborate, please?
      09-15-2019, 01:18 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobefair-idontcare View Post
How can I change just the front springs while keeping the same frequency balance? Could you elaborate, please?
You'd need to find a front spring that has the about the same spring rate as your OE spring, but has a shorter length.

I'm able to look in my database of springs, do ride height calculations, frequency calculations, and give the PNs needed but typically charge a small consulting fee. If you don't know what you really want with those, then I walk you through figuring that out too. If that's something you're interested in pursuing, shoot me a PM.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0