F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Cruise Control Malfunction, Loss of SW multifunction buttons after SZL upgrade
proTUNING Freaks

11-09-2018, 11:43 PM   #1
Sparty
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Cruise Control Malfunction, Loss of SW multifunction buttons after SZL upgrade

I recently upgraded to a heated steering wheel. So in order to do this, I had to get a new heated wheel, upgrade the SZL to support it, and then finally VO code the car adding in option 24, coding FEM_BODY, KOMBI, ICM, & HU_NBT.

Now when I start the car, I get the "cruise control malfunction" error. On top of that, none of the multifuction buttons, the horn, or the shift paddles work.

I've taken the SZL out a couple of times, but I can't find any noticeable damage to it, and the stalks still work. ISTA+ says its a faulty connection on the 6-pin connector inside the wheel, but for some reason, I feel like this a fault with programming.

Any thoughts on how to fix this??
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
Sparty
United_States
Rep

Bump. Anyone have any leads on this??
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:41 PM   #3
Sparty
United_States
Rep

So in case anyone else has this issue (I've seen some other posts on the board) I was able to solve the problem. Apparently when I installed my SZL, I assumed the steering wheel ring was centered...it was not. I think it was one turn away from centered. So when I would drive the car, any hard turns to the left pulled the wiring taught and shorted out a couple of the connections. 3 of the connections in one of the flat ribbons that controls the steering wheel buttons actually broke mid-ribbon. I was only able to find this testing continuities on the pins.

Long story short, I had to open up the SZL and re-solder a few connections. Works with no errors now.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 04:37 AM   #4
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Great that you’ve posted, hopefully it might help others 👍
Appreciate 0