F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > I've ordered a Tesla - am I mad?
Extreme Powerhouse

08-27-2019, 08:40 AM   #155
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
26mpg on unleaded, so that makes £100 for fuel on the 450 mile trip I did this weekend versus £5 I spent on electricity, £95 extra to spend on other stuff is always handy.

I also remember having to budget for brakes on a regular basis for the the 335i, and obviously fluid changes etc. 27k in and I've spent £450 on x4 new tyres but that's it. The first 'service' wouldn't be till just before 50k when the battery coolant needs replacing. 95% of 'slowing down' is via the regenerative braking even at 70mph+ so I don't expect brake pad replacement for a while yet.

When you factor in the purchase price is similar to an equivalent performance SUV, so SQ7/X5 M50D etc the on going direct out of pocket maintenance costs are tiny compared to what am use to paying.
Dont forget the £700 for the running in service.... although as my son in law works for a chain I am hoping to get mates rates...

I filled up with £85 at the weekend and it reckons that will get me 435 miles on a full tank...

But I really dont care. The £100 for other stuff would be wasted and I love the theatre around the M5. It wont be around forever and no doubt I will have to have an EV in the next 5 to 8 years - but am hopeful that the M5 will be around for me even then to remind me that cars are a passion not just a means of getting from A to B at a low price...

Last edited by isleaiw1; 08-27-2019 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 01:26 PM   #156
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlees View Post
... and tesla's reliability from 3-8 years is really bad and not that great for new ones - repairs are also measured in days rather than hours.
HaHa, do you own a BMW?? My old 335i is still the only car I ever owned thats left me stranded at the side of the road.
overall bmw is 4 stars with some of the f30 models being 5 stars on reliability - older Exx models are not mentioned.

Tesla average repair time is 5.4 days

In the 1.5 million miles myself and the OH have driven so far, the germans and Japanese have never left us stranded ... on the other hand the French, Italians and Brits have kept the recovery companies very busy.

So far I've done around 200k miles in various bmws, which I've kept for a minimum of 5 years each. the two VWs in my life have done a similar mileage in total and not let me down.

Suzuki, Lexus, Toyota and to lesser extent Honda are the most reliable as expected
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 09:35 PM   #157
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
but am hopeful that the M5 will be around for me even then to remind me that cars are a passion not just a means of getting from A to B at a low price...
Why don't you think you can be passionate about EVs?

Isn't the noise in a modern M5 fake anyways?

A £25k MGZ EV is just about getting you from A to B cheaply, but comparing that to a Tesla like comparing a Dacia to a BMW.

I love driving our X more than any other car I have ever owned, every trip possible is done via the scenic route, and 37k in I still smile every time I get in it, its the only car I've ever owned so far in my life am happy to describe as a 'keeper'.

I use to dream of owning a M5, but times change and now wonder why a company as innovative as BMW are still bothering building antiques.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:15 AM   #158
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Why don't you think you can be passionate about EVs?

Isn't the noise in a modern M5 fake anyways?

A £25k MGZ EV is just about getting you from A to B cheaply, but comparing that to a Tesla like comparing a Dacia to a BMW.

I love driving our X more than any other car I have ever owned, every trip possible is done via the scenic route, and 37k in I still smile every time I get in it, its the only car I've ever owned so far in my life am happy to describe as a 'keeper'.

I use to dream of owning a M5, but times change and now wonder why a company as innovative as BMW are still bothering building antiques.
To me, a Tesla is not very good looking, has a poor inside, and doesn’t have the mechanical attention. My brother is a mechanic, my dad was an engineer. I have limited affiliation with computers or electrics - but I grew up messing under a bonnet. That may have something to do with it.

As for the antique comment, well antiques last whilst modern stuff gets binned and replaced...they build them for now because they can, because they are good at it. I am sure one day they will build a great EV as they already build great to drive hybrids. At that stage Tesla’s usp will be gone, although the supercharger network is probably the best reason to buy one right now...

It’s a good job they make different cars to suit all of us!
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2294.00
      08-28-2019, 03:43 PM   #159
bodtwo
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

From an engineering point of view I’m not sure I’d class any modern engine as an antique, certainly not that beast in an m5. Also if you want to be picky, electric cars were around at the same time or if not before Benz and his combustion engine.

As an everyday, ev’s make absolute sense and stunningly quick, but for drama, not even close for me.

18 year old daughter loved the inside of the x and the s but didn’t like the seats when we drove the model 3. Older son again liked the inside but then commented on the styling of the 3. Both of them would have an ev no problem, money allowing of course.

As isleaiw1 says, we’re lucky to have a choice and each to their own.
      08-29-2019, 07:03 AM   #160
ashenfie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Auto 320d

Actually I think the first electric & petrol cars appear around the same time. Just petrol cars moved technically forward much quicker.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 08:56 AM   #161
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
I'm now pretty convinced that an EV is the next car I'll get. As posted earlier in the thread, I've got a Model 3 on order but I am taking a quick look at the i3 as well (for the wife you understand!). Got a test drive weekend after next.

Drove the Tesla Model 3 again today, but the Performance version. Bloody hell, stunning acceleration. I also took time to better evaluate the overall experience taking into account interior comfort, quality, tech, and driving. Overall it's superb. I think my wobble on the Tesla is over. It's definitely the future and I think it'll be a year or two before the German brands catch up.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:13 PM   #162
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435D, Boxster 981S

The Model 3 is in a different league, can definitely see myself getting a Tesla next too whereas I haven't given the i3 a second thought since driving one.

How long have you had yours on order?

There is a bit of comedy value in getting a 69 plate but I'm waiting until next year.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 07:47 AM   #163
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLS7 View Post
The Model 3 is in a different league, can definitely see myself getting a Tesla next too whereas I haven't given the i3 a second thought since driving one.

How long have you had yours on order?

There is a bit of comedy value in getting a 69 plate but I'm waiting until next year.
I originally ordered in July but then cancelled! I ordered again mid Aug. But I've speced a tow bar and it seems they're like unicorns at the moment. I'm expecting Oct, maybe even Nov.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #164
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Well, it seems my delivery predictions were a bit out. Delivery next Mon. Wish me luck! I'll post a comparison at some point with my current 335i and also a G20 320d, since I got to drive one of them for a day recently (and was very impressed!).
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2019, 05:11 PM   #165
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Well, it seems my delivery predictions were a bit out. Delivery next Mon. Wish me luck! I'll post a comparison at some point with my current 335i and also a G20 320d, since I got to drive one of them for a day recently (and was very impressed!).
Great news! Very much looking forward to reading about the new wheels - fairly sure that you are going to love it, but warts and all reports please

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 02:42 AM   #166
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Quote:
Did you order direct though Tesla on a PCP?

I’ve got an order placed - back ordered until the new year!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 03:25 AM   #167
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
Did you order direct though Tesla on a PCP?

I’ve got an order placed - back ordered until the new year!
Direct from Tesla. Originally I applied for their PCP (which is actually Black Horse), but I decided to get a personal loan and finance it myself. Ordered mid Aug, delivery end Sept.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 07:27 AM   #168
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Direct from Tesla. Originally I applied for their PCP (which is actually Black Horse), but I decided to get a personal loan and finance it myself. Ordered mid Aug, delivery end Sept.
good luck with it. Colleague at work took delivery of one end of August, which hubby drives. Took it up to warwick and back at weekend (from Staines way) and no range anxiety issues. Hubby uses it daily for work and can charge there when needed. They are VERY happy with their choice, but I think for them it was chosen as the best electric car they could buy rather than the best car for £50k or whatever...

Look forward to reading about it, we will all be following you at some time I am sure
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #169
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

So the Model 3 Long Range AWD was added to our company car list today..............

Quite tempting, given I'd be better off having no car allowance, no car payment, insurance or maintenance costs and zero BIK come April

Can anyone shed any light on Supercharger costs for Model 3 owners?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:32 AM   #170
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Have you got it then?
      10-04-2019, 03:16 AM   #171
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
So the Model 3 Long Range AWD was added to our company car list today..............

Quite tempting, given I'd be better off having no car allowance, no car payment, insurance or maintenance costs and zero BIK come April

Can anyone shed any light on Supercharger costs for Model 3 owners?
It's 24p/kWh. That's about a tenner for 200 miles of range. Home charging can be as low as 5p/kWh though (Octopus) so closer to £2.50.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 03:17 AM   #172
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Have you got it then?
Yes! A not-so-short write up here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1657798
Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00
      10-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #173
RogHer
Banned
Rep
Drives: R 310.

Quote:
My 335i is up for renewal (5 years old and funded via company car allowance, rules of which are that car needs to be <5 years old). I've struggled to get enthused with current cars from the usual suspects (BMW, Audi etc) so went looking for something a bit different.

Had a drive of the Tesla Model 3 and was sufficiently impressed to put a deposit down. It's refundable so I've not 100% committed yet. Am I mad?

It drives nicely enough and is a beast for acceleration (0-60 in 4.3 secs for the dual motor long-range version). For only a little more you can get the Performance version which pushes that to 3.2s, but I need a tow-bar and the Performance doesn't include it.

Handling is not too bad - steering is very good as is grip (4-wheel drive) but it's a heavy car and it shows at times.

Interior is "different". Hardly any switchgear - just that big touchscreen. I reckon with 330ish miles range plus a growing network of superchargers I can live with it.

Thoughts?
Was talking to my neighbour last night on this very thing. He's hesitating on ordering one, although I understand there are some very attractive leases. I'd go for it. What could possibly go wrong?
Appreciate 0