F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > More HP and NM, but No visuals
proTUNING Freaks

06-27-2019, 04:52 AM   #1
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D F34 Gran Turismo

More HP and NM, but No visuals

Hey guys..

So a couple of weeks ago I had my f31 316D optimised. Now instead of 116 hp and 270 nm it's producing 190 hp and 410 nm...

I have a original bmw head up screen (not head up display) retrofitted which shows both NM and Kw (can't change it to HP, unfortunately ) and I have the sports display on my NBT as well.. originally the sports display went up to 160 hp but after optimising it now goes up to 240... problem is however that it doesn't actually go that far ... it still stops consistently at 160 ..

So have any of you guys experienced this? It's sort of like the visuals on the sports display have changed but the car itself doesn't seem to be able to display it properly ? I hope I'm making sense ...

Does anyone know how to calibrate it to actually show the correct output ?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 06:30 AM   #2
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Several things to consider here :

"head up screen" : do you mean the iDrive screen mounted above the centre console ? You say it's been retro-fitted - did the car not have an iDrive screen previously ?

Did you have before and after dyno runs to validate the gains achieved as a result of the remap ? It's simply not possible to validate the power and torque claims for a remap using only the 'butt dyno'.

Most reputable remappers will recalibrate the iDrive Sports Dials to show appropriate ranges for power and torque, and the outputs actually being produced. A max range of 240hp for a 190hp potential output seems too high, but the fact that the display only ever reaches 160hp makes me wonder whether the car is actually producing what you've been sold/told (190).
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #3
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D F34 Gran Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Several things to consider here :

"head up screen" : do you mean the iDrive screen mounted above the centre console ? You say it's been retro-fitted - did the car not have an iDrive screen previously ?

Did you have before and after dyno runs to validate the gains achieved as a result of the remap ? It's simply not possible to validate the power and torque claims for a remap using only the 'butt dyno'.

Most reputable remappers will recalibrate the iDrive Sports Dials to show appropriate ranges for power and torque, and the outputs actually being produced. A max range of 240hp for a 190hp potential output seems too high, but the fact that the display only ever reaches 160hp makes me wonder whether the car is actually producing what you've been sold/told (190).

See below images..

No dyno as it was done at my house .. I was told there were two possible optimisations.

One with 150 hp and 380 nm(equivalent of 318D) and one with 190 hp and 410 nm (equivalent of 320D) ... I chose the latter..

It clearly goes beyond the 380 nm as the highest I've seen is 417 nm on the head up screen (not the I drive) but it seems like it's locked in at max 160 go, which coincidentally was the max on the sports display before optimising ... it originally had 116 hp and never reached even close to the max of the sports display .. it didn't reach beyond 120 before optimising ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #4
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Depending on how the tuner tunes, it won't show accurately on the display. Especially true if they decalibrated all the maps, which is very common of European tuners.
If they have proof that it's at 190hp, then be happy with it as is. The gauges will not be accurate anyways, they're more for show.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1