F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Made it through a flooded street, but won't start again.
ARMA SPEED

07-15-2019, 12:40 AM   #1
lexbimmer
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Wagon

Made it through a flooded street, but won't start again.

I have a 2014 BMW 328i X-drive wagon. We had massive, city-wide street flooding this past Wednesday like I’ve never seen. By the time I realized the street I was parked on was flooding, the water was already up to the bottom of my doors (not inside). I was able to start it up and drive off (without any issue) to find higher ground. However, I did drive through some deeper water trying to get safe. I was panicking, so I can't say for sure how deep it was, but I would guess it was somewhere just shy of reaching the front grill (just in this particularly spot, maybe half a block). The car didn’t shut off, but the iDrive screen started saying something to the affect of "full performance not available, drive moderately" and the car was driving a lot slower. I was able to drive a few more blocks until I found a safe spot to park. Once the flooding had subsided, I went back to check on my car. It would turn on and crank, but the engine shuts off immediately. No water got inside the car and all the electronics seem to be working normally. There aren't any warnings on the iDrive. I haven't had it towed to the dealership yet, but an insurance adjuster is coming Wednesday.

When I spoke to my insurance, they mentioned the car might be repairable. I don't know much about the mechanics of cars, but it seems like a total loss would be the best outcome for me, right? I know flood-repaired cars have a rep for being unpredictable and issues can arise years later, but a lot of what I’ve read seems to focus on the electrical components (and I don’t think mine were affected). Also, if they are able to repair everything, what are the chances I’d ever be able to sell the car without a significant discount? I feel like any reasonable person would run away after learning it had flood damage.

Anyone know what might be happening? Or have any advice for dealing with insurance?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 01:51 AM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbimmer View Post
I have a 2014 BMW 328i X-drive wagon. We had massive, city-wide street flooding this past Wednesday like I've never seen. By the time I realized the street I was parked on was flooding, the water was already up to the bottom of my doors (not inside). I was able to start it up and drive off (without any issue) to find higher ground. However, I did drive through some deeper water trying to get safe. I was panicking, so I can't say for sure how deep it was, but I would guess it was somewhere just shy of reaching the front grill (just in this particularly spot, maybe half a block). The car didn't shut off, but the iDrive screen started saying something to the affect of "full performance not available, drive moderately" and the car was driving a lot slower. I was able to drive a few more blocks until I found a safe spot to park. Once the flooding had subsided, I went back to check on my car. It would turn on and crank, but the engine shuts off immediately. No water got inside the car and all the electronics seem to be working normally. There aren't any warnings on the iDrive. I haven't had it towed to the dealership yet, but an insurance adjuster is coming Wednesday.

When I spoke to my insurance, they mentioned the car might be repairable. I don't know much about the mechanics of cars, but it seems like a total loss would be the best outcome for me, right? I know flood-repaired cars have a rep for being unpredictable and issues can arise years later, but a lot of what I've read seems to focus on the electrical components (and I don't think mine were affected). Also, if they are able to repair everything, what are the chances I'd ever be able to sell the car without a significant discount? I feel like any reasonable person would run away after learning it had flood damage.

Anyone know what might be happening? Or have any advice for dealing with insurance?

Thanks!
Any Insurance claim will show a flooded car on Carfax so best if it's totaled.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 02:24 AM   #3
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It sounds like it might be repairable. Don't try starting it again until a competent mechanic has taken a look at it. If the water didn't hit any vital components, you might just want to take it to a mechanic before you file a claim. There's always a chance the repair is too cheap to total the car and you'll be stuck with a car marked with flood damage with very minor damage if you go through insurance.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 06:12 AM   #4
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

Lexbimmer,

I'm the guy near you who had similar stuff happen the same day. Yet another way this ugly city, region, and state have sc***ed us.

I've driven many cars through water like this and never gotten the footwells flooded or had the engine die. You will have to see about your situation -- but if BMWs are that delicate, it might not be a good idea for me to get another one!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #5
Bimmer13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Very interesting. Good morning lexbimmer. Same exact thing happen to me. I immediately got the car home and connected my scan tool. My screen was saying the same thing..."full performance not available...". I had the "cylinder misfire" error on cylinder 3 and 4. After some going around my elbow to touch my arse research I found that this COULD be caused by spark plug and ignition coil needing replaced. However I thought it was ODD that I got this message only after driving through a huge puddle. Naturally I took the car to the dealership and they told me I needed to replace the spark plugs. BUT the kicker is that my car only has 28K miles. I let my car sit in the garage for a few days and been trying to replicate the error again and haven't been able to. So not really sure if its had a chance to dry up or what the deal is. I have not replaced the spark plugs yet but may go ahead and do that anyways to rule that out IN CASE it happens again.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
ndx6spd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfus Aurelius View Post
I'm the guy near you who had similar stuff happen the same day. Yet another way this ugly city, region, and state have sc***ed us.
Ok, I can't figure it out. What's the censored word?
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2019, 09:50 AM   #7
lexbimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer13 View Post
Very interesting. Good morning lexbimmer. Same exact thing happen to me. I immediately got the car home and connected my scan tool. My screen was saying the same thing..."full performance not available...". I had the "cylinder misfire" error on cylinder 3 and 4. After some going around my elbow to touch my arse research I found that this COULD be caused by spark plug and ignition coil needing replaced. However I thought it was ODD that I got this message only after driving through a huge puddle. Naturally I took the car to the dealership and they told me I needed to replace the spark plugs. BUT the kicker is that my car only has 28K miles. I let my car sit in the garage for a few days and been trying to replicate the error again and haven't been able to. So not really sure if its had a chance to dry up or what the deal is. I have not replaced the spark plugs yet but may go ahead and do that anyways to rule that out IN CASE it happens again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer13 View Post

Finally found someone who had the same problem! I was trying to go through all the flood posts, but couldn't find anyone who had the same issue as me. I got the message while I was driving through the water. I guess I'll just stand by until I speak with the adjuster.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndx6spd View Post
Quote:
Ok, I can't figure it out. What's the censored word?
Think of a different word for the staple of New Orleans, Jazz and an alternative meaning.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #9
ndx6spd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i x

he censored screwed?
lol
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      07-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #10
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

I think the issues with high water ultimately depend on where the water ended up. I had an old e46 that my wife drove through high water following a big pickup truck. The truck created a wake and when the water rushed back it flooded through the kidney grills and into the air intake. Then through the air filter and hydrolocked the engine. Everything else in the car was fine, but a dead engine got the car totaled.

Good luck with your car. Hope you weathered the rest of the storm ok in NO.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #11
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndx6spd View Post
he censored screwed?
lol
Hey, I wasn't sure what the protocol is around here! Another forum I'm on censored the word "Satan" when I tried to explain why I didn't give my black cat such a hackneyed name.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #12
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Lexbimmer,

I've driven many cars through water like this and never gotten the footwells flooded or had the engine die. You will have to see about your situation -- but if BMWs are that delicate, it might not be a good idea for me to get another one!
In all fairness, he's talking about water over the front bumper at grill level. You suck in water, you don't do the engine any love.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 01:23 AM   #13
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Lexbimmer,

If I lived in NOLA I’d be driving a lifted pickup with a snorkel, not a BMW sedan
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:04 AM   #14
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Finally found someone who had the same problem! I was trying to go through all the flood posts, but couldn't find anyone who had the same issue as me. I got the message while I was driving through the water. I guess I'll just stand by until I speak with the adjuster.
Lexbimmer,

I drove up along St. Charles yesterday afternoon and saw your F30 wagon. A nice dark metallic blue -- is that what BMW calls "dark sapphire"? Nice beast!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:52 AM   #15
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Quote:
Lexbimmer,

If I lived in NOLA I’d be driving a lifted pickup with a snorkel, not a BMW sedan
Certainly during hurricanes that would be very useful, but during other times a BMW works fine in NO. Outside of NO on the fast highways you can have fun too.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #16
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Also, if they are able to repair everything, what are the chances I’d ever be able to sell the car without a significant discount? I feel like any reasonable person would run away after learning it had flood damage.
Zero.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #17
lexbimmer
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Lexbimmer,

I drove up along St. Charles yesterday afternoon and saw your F30 wagon. A nice dark metallic blue -- is that what BMW calls "dark sapphire"? Nice beast!
Thanks! Yeah. That's the color.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #18
lexbimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectBoost View Post
Quote:
Also, if they are able to repair everything, what are the chances I’d ever be able to sell the car without a significant discount? I feel like any reasonable person would run away after learning it had flood damage.
Zero.
That's what I figured.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #19
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

The starter is susceptible to water, since it's at the lowest point of the transmission. Water will impact the starter solenoid and it will sometimes not start, even if there wasn't any actual water entry into vehicle.

BMW recommends changing the starter after deep water driving in their documentation.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #20
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Lexbimmer,

I've heard back from Progressive. They say the car isn't totaled, and that $5100 is the estimate. I'd pay my deductible, and the rest would be their responsibility. I asked for an itemized list of what they would do; see below. I asked, "What if something else clearly related to the flooding comes up later?" Her answer seemed to assume that if it came up during *this* repair process it would be added. However, I meant, "What if something related to this goes out in a month or two?" I need an answer to that.

They say the car should be ready early next week. If I'm going to, I need to call the service advisor soon to let him know to go ahead.

Here are the items they say are needed, with 11 hours' labor:

1 101786 BDY REMOVE/REPLACE Floor Carpet ORDER FROM DEALER 755.71 4.0*
Special/Manual Entry
2 900500 BDY REMOVE/REPLACE REAR CARPET * New 719.73 * 4.0*
3 900500 BDY * REMOVE/REPLACE FEM CONTROL UNIT 61358733499 764.92 * 2.0*
4 900500 BDY * REMOVE/REPLACE CENTRAL BASS LFT 65139210149 328.45 * 0.5*
5 900500 BDY * REMOVE/REPLACE CENTRAL BASS RT 651392101150 328.45 *

I am glad to see they are saying *replace* the carpet, rather than just *remove and clean*.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 12:13 PM   #21
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
I am glad to see they are saying *replace* the carpet, rather than just *remove and clean*.
Hopefully! Have them save the old carpet/other parts so you can see them to know they've been replaced.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #22
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Hopefully! Have them save the old carpet/other parts so you can see them to know they've been replaced.
I'm also calling my regular mechanic who works on these cars. Of course he can't say much without actually seeing the F30 in person. But if I go ahead with this, I would stop by his shop right afterward to let him look at it and see if he spots anything that should have been done -- and if it hasn't, I'll run right back to the dealer. My biggest concern would be the engine oil and transmission fluid, naturally, and the passenger seat electrics.

ETA: And my regular mechanic does not think the car should be totaled; I read him off the list and told him about how much water I had, and he seemed to think the seat and the bearings would be fine. If need be, he can change the transmission fluid, and I was going to have him do an an oil change next week anyway.

Progressive also says that I have 6 years to report newly discovered damage on this same claim.

Last edited by Wolfus Aurelius; 07-17-2019 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0