F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Replacing the the MultiFunction control buttons
GetBMWParts

07-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
Tonyt915
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' 328D M-Sport

Replacing the the MultiFunction control buttons

The rubber on the cruise control toggle started breaking apart and the replacements that I could find were $300-$440 for the complete control. Found one on eBay that was for LIM cars but the rubber toggle was the same size. So thought I would share the process incase anyone else has damaged buttons.

Tools needed
No. 1 Phillips and 2 picks " one would work but easier with two"

Here's the damaged button and newer one

First remove the 3 Phillips head screws circled in red

Once you have the switch open, take the 3 white pieces out " circled in red" and set them aside so you don't loose them. These transmit the light from the LED. the 2 wide ones go in the middle and the one thinner longer one goes toward the end.

Next you will need the small picks. I found it works best if you remove the next piece in the numbered order as shown in the picture. Place the pick in-between the silver button and black frame and spread apart the latch. 1-2 are pretty easy but I found if you have an extra pick, you can do 3-4 at the same time it saves some trouble. If you do it one at a time the first one unclipped will pop back into place when you try to unclip the other side.

Next is time to remove the rubber toggle. Using the small pick you will need to separate the two clips on the ends of the toggle "circled in the picture". Once you get them undone the toggle will be able to be pushed out the front.

You will need to do these same steps to your donor switch as well. Once you have the toggles removed just swap them and reassemble in reverse order. Also these need to stay as an original set or else the controls will not work. I originally thought I could just change the entire cruise control module and the swap the outer buttons but then I lost all the functions on the cruise control side. Once I swapped the boards inside everything worked again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      07-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
chri5winston
Chris_winston_F30
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw F30 Msport

Hi, do you have any better pics of the button you took out and replaced?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 09:01 PM   #3
JBT2
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Great instructions! Just did this to fix my 2013 build F32 cruise toggle and it all works great again. Took me two hours from go to woah.

Some pics of the toggle I removed.

Name:  Cruise Toggle 2.png
Views: 743
Size:  250.7 KB

Name:  Cruise Toggle 1.png
Views: 740
Size:  236.5 KB

Last edited by JBT2; 03-30-2023 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
mrpingu180.50
      01-15-2024, 12:39 PM   #4
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Thanks! I just ordered a pair of toggles from AliExpress for 99 cents ($1.31 including tax and shipping). It seems that was a special and they are usually around three bucks. I'll post when they arrive in a couple of weeks.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMOOBwG
Appreciate 1
mrpingu180.50