F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 440xi software update
Studio RSR

03-30-2019, 05:32 PM   #45
P0NYB0Y
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' BSM 340xi MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Those of you who have MPPSK and got the update already:
Can you please confirm that nothing changed sound-wise in Sport and valve control is still as before (valves always open in Sport)?

There has been contradictory information in the air...
MPPSK owner here and can confirm that i noticed the flaps no longer opens up post start up. I use to wait for it to chime before i take off as a reminder the "cats have warmed up" now, it only opens when you blip the accelerator.

Further to all this, I've also noticed that my mppsk no longer pops as hard as it use to. I use to be able to do it on command around the 4-6k rpm range.

The kick down feature has also been suppressed and the valves close on me when i'm in higher rpms causing it to suppress any aggressive pops, burbles from the exhaust.

I'm pissed that they sold us on the MPPSK and nerf'd it with all these updates.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 07:58 PM   #46
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0NYB0Y View Post
Quote:
Those of you who have MPPSK and got the update already:
Can you please confirm that nothing changed sound-wise in Sport and valve control is still as before (valves always open in Sport)?

There has been contradictory information in the air...
MPPSK owner here and can confirm that i noticed the flaps no longer opens up post start up. I use to wait for it to chime before i take off as a reminder the "cats have warmed up" now, it only opens when you blip the accelerator.
That has always been like that on mine and I don't yet have the update.
I doubt your valves close at high rpms. Would make no sense, as even stock (no MPPSK) and in Comfort, the valve opens beyond 4000rpm to reduce backpressure.

For the rest - don't jump to conclusions before everything recalibrates.
      04-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #47
340iTCP94
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Track Handling Package

So I just got the recall / update done on my 2018 340i (M Sport / Track Handling/ No MPPSK). I have only driven about 12 miles since I received the car from the dealership, but I did notice a couple of things:

1. When switching drive modes via the toggle switch, the iDrive screen is no longer displaying the different drive modes (it only is displayed in the instrument cluster). However, I liked it when the iDrive screen itself would display the Drive Mode, letting me easily access "Sport Displays." I've tried messing around in settings and I can't get this to come back. Anyone else have this issue? Or does anyone know where I can find it in settings?

2. Shifts are smoother in comfort and the throttle response is different from before in all modes. I assume this is because the ECU was reset/flashed (forgive my incorrect terminology). And I assume that after a few hundred miles of driving the ECU will "relearn" my driving style.
Appreciate 2
Aberle74.00
      04-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #48
Ramrod215
Rep
Drives: BMW 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340iTCP94 View Post
So I just got the recall / update done on my 2018 340i (M Sport / Track Handling/ No MPPSK). I have only driven about 12 miles since I received the car from the dealership, but I did notice a couple of things:

1. When switching drive modes via the toggle switch, the iDrive screen is no longer displaying the different drive modes (it only is displayed in the instrument cluster). However, I liked it when the iDrive screen itself would display the Drive Mode, letting me easily access "Sport Displays." I've tried messing around in settings and I can't get this to come back. Anyone else have this issue? Or does anyone know where I can find it in settings?

2. Shifts are smoother in comfort and the throttle response is different from before in all modes. I assume this is because the ECU was reset/flashed (forgive my incorrect terminology). And I assume that after a few hundred miles of driving the ECU will "relearn" my driving style.
I have a 2018 340xi and got this service done also. When I switch modes it shows on the idrive. My car is also non-nav if that matters.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 08:52 PM   #49
340iTCP94
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Track Handling Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod215 View Post
I have a 2018 340xi and got this service done also. When I switch modes it shows on the idrive. My car is also non-nav if that matters.
So I resorted to calling the BMW "Genius" line. And those so-called "geniuses" recommended that I return to the dealership so that they can check it out. I'm utterly appalled at the lack of competence displayed by both the dealership and the "geniuses." Neither could explain to me what the recall / DME update was for. Neither could explain to me whether the update took away the feature I was asking about. All I got was a whole bunch of "maybes" and "huh, that's weird," and "i don't knows."

After playing around with iDrive settings for a few minutes I was finally able to figure it out under the "Pop Up Messages" menu of settings, in case anyone else runs into the same issue.
Appreciate 1
Aberle74.00
      04-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #50
P0NYB0Y
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' BSM 340xi MPPSK

Quote:
That has always been like that on mine and I don't yet have the update.
I doubt your valves close at high rpms. Would make no sense, as even stock (no MPPSK) and in Comfort, the valve opens beyond 4000rpm to reduce backpressure.

For the rest - don't jump to conclusions before everything recalibrates.
it may work differently for you but it's been discussed somewhere here that the valves have been confirmed to open/close on high rpm decel for the pops & burbles.

I'm saying that when i accelerator up to 6k rpm on sport/sport+ my exhaust cuts out as if i switched to comfort mode. this makes me think my valves closed and the exhaust sounds are completely muted for a couple of seconds.

I counter this by pressing the gas a little and it opens up the valves enough to let out the pressure/burbles
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #51
Aberle
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i Limited Edition MPPSK

Could this thread be related? https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1384135

It mentions that after software updates the car takes some miles to recalibrate before the exhaust notes come back to normal.-
Appreciate 0