F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BimmerLink vs. Foxwell/Schwaben
Extreme Powerhouse

12-13-2018, 12:35 AM   #1
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

BimmerLink vs. Foxwell/Schwaben

Looking into getting a code reader that's more BMW-specific than the generic free apps available in the app store.

Wondering how BimmerLink compares to a full-function scantool like the Foxwell (or rebranded Schwaben). Any specific advantages to paying the $100 or so premium for the standalone unit as far as code reading is concerned?

I understand that both can register batteries, BimmerLink adds exhaust flap control which would be cool, (and ASD control, but that's moot for me as I have a CIC headunit). Speaking of the flap control, what happens when you disconnect BimmerLink from the car? Does the flap function return to normal or does it remember the last setting it was on until you reconnect? I'm not sure if that function is a selling point for me if you have to have the app running at all times, but possibly better than dropping $200 for something like the VSC-1 by CG Precision, imo.

Do either have logging capabilities? Any input appreciated. Thanks!
      12-13-2018, 06:18 AM   #2
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Looking into getting a code reader that's more BMW-specific than the generic free apps available in the app store.

Wondering how BimmerLink compares to a full-function scantool like the Foxwell (or rebranded Schwaben). Any specific advantages to paying the $100 or so premium for the standalone unit as far as code reading is concerned?

I understand that both can register batteries, BimmerLink adds exhaust flap control which would be cool, (and ASD control, but that's moot for me as I have a CIC headunit). Speaking of the flap control, what happens when you disconnect BimmerLink from the car? Does the flap function return to normal or does it remember the last setting it was on until you reconnect? I'm not sure if that function is a selling point for me if you have to have the app running at all times, but possibly better than dropping $200 for something like the VSC-1 by CG Precision, imo.

Do either have logging capabilities? Any input appreciated. Thanks!
ISTAD (software) and the BMW ICOM (hardware) system is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Good question... interested in hearing responses to this as well...

So far BimmerLink has served me well and not once have I wished I had or needed a more advanced scan tool, yet.

To answer your questions:

No data logging capability with BimmerLink. Although there is sensor values which can be quite helpful.

BimmerLink must be connected to vehicle in order for it to control exhaust valve. It wont stay open after app is disconnected.
Appreciate 2
jh_f301306.00
otay826.00
      12-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Sub'd. Interested to hear what people think.
      12-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #5
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Speaking of the flap control, what happens when you disconnect BimmerLink from the car? Does the flap function return to normal or does it remember the last setting it was on until you reconnect?

You have to keep the dongle plugged in for ASD and exhaust valve control to retain memory. The car 'forgets' the settings and goes back to default when unplugged and off.

If you want ASD to be permanently off, you need to change the parameters with Bimmercode. That's the only way it memorizes your settings.

You can't permanently change the exhaust valve behavior by coding. You need a flash tune for that..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Speaking of the flap control, what happens when you disconnect BimmerLink from the car? Does the flap function return to normal or does it remember the last setting it was on until you reconnect?

You have to keep the dongle plugged in for ASD and exhaust valve control to retain memory. The car 'forgets' the settings and goes back to default when unplugged and off.

If you want ASD to be permanently off, you need to change the parameters with Bimmercode. That's the only way it memorizes your settings.

You can't permanently change the exhaust valve behavior by coding. You need a flash tune for that..
I figured that was the case. I do have the flap programmed into my tune, always open in Sport/Sport+, oem functionality in Eco/Comfort, but it would still be nice to be able to control it on the fly. Just not important enough to spend that much on the VSC-1. Haha. But who knows, I may end up eating my words and wind up getting it, or something similar, anyways.
      12-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #7
DarkStarBimmer
Colonol Forbin
Rep
Drives: 17' BSM 330i xDrive

Garage List
2017 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post

So far BimmerLink has served me well and not once have I wished I had or needed a more advanced scan tool, yet.

No data logging capability with BimmerLink. Although there is sensor values which can be quite helpful.

BimmerLink must be connected to vehicle in order for it to control exhaust valve. It wont stay open after app is disconnected.
Quote:

I don't leave BimmerLink connected or the OBDII connector connected, but my flap stays open as well as ASD stays off. Just checked the flap to make sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #8
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStarBimmer View Post
Quote:

Quote:

I don't leave BimmerLink connected or the OBDII connector connected, but my flap stays open as well as ASD stays off. Just checked the flap to make sure.
Ive never personally check to be dead honest buy I did email developer and he said the app must be connected to keep it open all the time.

Id like to permanently open mine but not positive of the most straight forward, reversible solution?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #9
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
^
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Ive never personally check to be dead honest buy I did email developer and he said the app must be connected to keep it open all the time.

Id like to permanently open mine but not positive of the most straight forward, reversible solution?
Permanent open is pretty easy. Just wait til it's open, then either disconnect the actuator or pull the fuse(s).
      12-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #11
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Permanent open is pretty easy. Just wait til it's open, then either disconnect the actuator or pull the fuse(s).
Do we know exactly which fuse controls the flap actuator?

Is that fused relied on for anything else?

I think this would be the best way if we can answer those questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #12
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Do we know exactly which fuse controls the flap actuator?

Is that fused relied on for anything else?

I think this would be the best way if we can answer those questions.
I think they're on here somewhere in one of the threads, I don't know which ones exactly.
      12-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #13
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

bootmod3

Search golf tee mod and you'll see hundreds of threads about how to keep the flap open.
      12-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #14
supermarket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi, 1996 328iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
bootmod3

Search golf tee mod and you'll see hundreds of threads about how to keep the flap open.
...for an E90.
Appreciate 2
sspade2464.50
otay826.00
      12-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #15
DarkStarBimmer
Colonol Forbin
Rep
Drives: 17' BSM 330i xDrive

Garage List
2017 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
^
weird. My eyes and car says he is incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 07:01 PM   #16
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermarket View Post
...for an E90.
The term "gold tee mod" originated with the E90, but applies to almost any BMW with a valved exhaust for the most part, F30 included.
      12-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #17
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
The term "gold tee mod" originated with the E90, but applies to almost any BMW with a valved exhaust for the most part, F30 included.
Was done with the E46 prior to E90.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:33 PM   #18
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Was done with the E46 prior to E90.
Rephrase: popularized by the E90 crowd. Anyway, even better. Been around for decades apparently lol tons of info on how to keep the exhaust flap open.
      12-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #19
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Me and my brother bought Autel Maxicom, we got lots of different cars ranging from, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Subaru, BMW and Hyundai. My cousin just bought a 981 Cayman S used. Used it to check it out before buying. I was going for the foxwell but you need to buy each software for the other cars so it will end up expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 12:55 PM   #20
RichardSwe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435i

I purchased a Foxwell NT520 code reader in Dec 2018 from the Foxwell webiste and installed the latest BMW software per the Foxwell site.

However, it then could not read the BMW F30 codes. It could read the generic OMBD codes, but not the BMW codes (this is a menu choice). Foxwell support told me that the NT520 has a known hardware problem and cannot read the the F30 BMW codes. They are testing a new hardware version but it is not yet available.

I have asked to return the NT520 either for a refund or for an exchange with another model which does work on the BMW F30.

Waiting for their reply ---
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #21
Astone22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320 xdrive, f32 428

So in order for the valve to stay open all the time with bimmerlonk, I have to keep it plugged in and open the bimmer link app on my phone?? Right now I have the bm3 module to control it but was thinking of selling it and get the app instead
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #22
bk335ilci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Alpine White

I have a issue with the PDC system I purchased the Foxwell nt520. Prior to purchasing it I asked the eBay vendor if it supports pdc diagnosis he said yes. But unfortunately it does not. So stuck with it for now. I was wondering if any one can confirm if Bimmerlink will diagnose pdc related problems?
Appreciate 0