F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > R1 Concepts Review
UroTuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #1
XxThe_RemedyXx
Lieutenant Colonel
Greece
571
Rep
1,707
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

R1 Concepts Review

Soooo back on 9/7/2018 I made the decision to purchase a new set of rotors, brake pads, sensors, and installation hardware because it was time to get this done.

After doing some research I settled on the R1 Concepts drilled rotors in black and their Optimum Oe pads. I read good reviews and gave them a call. Kevin helped me find the correct hardware and order was placed, easy peasey.

On 9/10/18 I shoot them an email, just wondering if the order was shipped because I didn't receive any tracking information. Just curious, not rushing since been only two days... They reply "Order is in final processing and will ship soon". Cool.

9/12/18 - No word, no tracking, no nothing. I email them again and ask for status. "Item is still in the quality process and tracking will be available when complete". Okey doke, quality process is good. No Problem.

9/14/18 - No word, no tracking, nada. I ask them for a status update and tell them I really need the hardware. It's been a full 7 days and nothing has shipped. I receive "I forwarded your concern to the appropriate department to better assist you. We will send you an update as soon as possible." Fine. This was in the AM. End of day no reply so I send another email "Any luck with information regarding this order?". I receive Thank you for your recent message. We apologize for the delay. "The order has been packed up and is ready for UPS to pick up. Expect a tracking number shortly." No tracking, no follow-up, nothing.

9/15/18 - I email them "Did not receive any shipping information. Can anyone help with this order please?"

9/16/18 - "Thank you for your purchase. Your order shows Ready for shipment. The tracking number will be emailed to you as soon as the item ships out." No tracking, no follow-up. Asked for faster shipping due to the delay and get this "For shipping arrangements, We ask that you call us directly and a live representative can assist you with the order and product availability. Our toll free number is **************. You can contact us Monday-Friday 8 a.m. 6:30 p.m PST" I call, they're closed. I send this "Just called, says you guys are closed. Not trying to be annoying, just
would really like to know when this will be shipped and would like tracking
info, not too much to ask for considering it's been a week with no updates." I receive "Your order is in the final processes of finishing up and passing through our quality inspection phase. We will send you an email with the tracking number as soon as item ships out.Please feel free to email us back if you require further assistance."

Today - No follow-up, no contact. I call and I'm placed on hold for 20 minutes, nobody picks up.

What the hell is going on with this place? Next step is to call AMEX and kill the order.
__________________
'14 335 xDrive EWG FBO - VRSF Chargepipe - VRSF Catless Downpipe - AA Intercooler - MPE - BM3 Custom Tune by Cary Jordan - R1 Concepts Front/Rear Geomet Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
r1concepts
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
r1concepts's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
1,601
Posts


Drives: 07' E90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cerritos, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
Soooo back on 9/7/2018 I made the decision to purchase a new set of rotors, brake pads, sensors, and installation hardware because it was time to get this done.

After doing some research I settled on the R1 Concepts drilled rotors in black and their Optimum Oe pads. I read good reviews and gave them a call. Kevin helped me find the correct hardware and order was placed, easy peasey.

On 9/10/18 I shoot them an email, just wondering if the order was shipped because I didn't receive any tracking information. Just curious, not rushing since been only two days... They reply "Order is in final processing and will ship soon". Cool.

9/12/18 - No word, no tracking, no nothing. I email them again and ask for status. "Item is still in the quality process and tracking will be available when complete". Okey doke, quality process is good. No Problem.

9/14/18 - No word, no tracking, nada. I ask them for a status update and tell them I really need the hardware. It's been a full 7 days and nothing has shipped. I receive "I forwarded your concern to the appropriate department to better assist you. We will send you an update as soon as possible." Fine. This was in the AM. End of day no reply so I send another email "Any luck with information regarding this order?". I receive Thank you for your recent message. We apologize for the delay. "The order has been packed up and is ready for UPS to pick up. Expect a tracking number shortly." No tracking, no follow-up, nothing.

9/15/18 - I email them "Did not receive any shipping information. Can anyone help with this order please?"

9/16/18 - "Thank you for your purchase. Your order shows Ready for shipment. The tracking number will be emailed to you as soon as the item ships out." No tracking, no follow-up. Asked for faster shipping due to the delay and get this "For shipping arrangements, We ask that you call us directly and a live representative can assist you with the order and product availability. Our toll free number is **************. You can contact us Monday-Friday 8 a.m. 6:30 p.m PST" I call, they're closed. I send this "Just called, says you guys are closed. Not trying to be annoying, just
would really like to know when this will be shipped and would like tracking
info, not too much to ask for considering it's been a week with no updates." I receive "Your order is in the final processes of finishing up and passing through our quality inspection phase. We will send you an email with the tracking number as soon as item ships out.Please feel free to email us back if you require further assistance."

Today - No follow-up, no contact. I call and I'm placed on hold for 20 minutes, nobody picks up.

What the hell is going on with this place? Next step is to call AMEX and kill the order.

XxThe_RemedyXx I apologize for the delay on your order. Let me get your information so I can see what's going on. PM sent!
Appreciate 1
obert1130.00

      09-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
XxThe_RemedyXx
Lieutenant Colonel
Greece
571
Rep
1,707
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Kevin has been really great getting this situation resolved for me. Customer service from him is top notch. Waiting on an order I placed today and will update once received. Thank you for being a gentleman Kevin.
__________________
'14 335 xDrive EWG FBO - VRSF Chargepipe - VRSF Catless Downpipe - AA Intercooler - MPE - BM3 Custom Tune by Cary Jordan - R1 Concepts Front/Rear Geomet Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
mlev
Lieutenant
mlev's Avatar
United_States
229
Rep
420
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
They have good intentions, just got a large operation going on. I was lucky enough to pick up locally, also helped out by Kevin. Post back when you have an actual review to share
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
XxThe_RemedyXx
Lieutenant Colonel
Greece
571
Rep
1,707
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
They have good intentions, just got a large operation going on. I was lucky enough to pick up locally, also helped out by Kevin. Post back when you have an actual review to share
Thanks, but your passive aggressive is showing
__________________
'14 335 xDrive EWG FBO - VRSF Chargepipe - VRSF Catless Downpipe - AA Intercooler - MPE - BM3 Custom Tune by Cary Jordan - R1 Concepts Front/Rear Geomet Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Appreciate 1
mlev229.00

      10-12-2018, 06:35 AM   #6
XxThe_RemedyXx
Lieutenant Colonel
Greece
571
Rep
1,707
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

UPDATE:

Just wanted to double-back on this. Kevin from R1 has been awesome at getting this resolved. Customer service has been top notch since I made this thread. He's resolved all of my concerns and made sure I was 100% satisfied. I'll be a returning customer for sure. Thank you Kevin!
__________________
'14 335 xDrive EWG FBO - VRSF Chargepipe - VRSF Catless Downpipe - AA Intercooler - MPE - BM3 Custom Tune by Cary Jordan - R1 Concepts Front/Rear Geomet Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
Orion4
Major
United_States
253
Rep
1,125
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL

iTrader: (0)

Any review/comments on the hardware received and any issues installing wrt the hardware? I'll be doing a complete brake job later this Fall/Winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #8
Phantom10R
Second Lieutenant
53
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i, 2015 X5 x35i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chelsea, MI

iTrader: (0)

Same, Any updates... actual reviews and impressions? Im about due as well and will be looking at my options
__________________
2015 335i xDrive
2015 X3 x35i

IG: @N55David
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #9
XxThe_RemedyXx
Lieutenant Colonel
Greece
571
Rep
1,707
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Review incoming. Very positive...
__________________
'14 335 xDrive EWG FBO - VRSF Chargepipe - VRSF Catless Downpipe - AA Intercooler - MPE - BM3 Custom Tune by Cary Jordan - R1 Concepts Front/Rear Geomet Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 09:57 PM   #10
XxThe_RemedyXx
Lieutenant Colonel
Greece
571
Rep
1,707
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

So here's a quick and dirty review on the R1 Concepts rotors and brake pads...

Rotors are great. Fitment was spot on. My mechanic had nothing but good things to say about them while he installed them. They were extremely well packaged. You can tell they took great care to make sure they were protected during transport. The front and rear sensors were replaced without issue as well and work fine, no errors or issues.

After install was done I followed the break in procedure to the letter. I let the brakes cool after the procedure for 20 minutes as specified. While they were cooling I hopped out of the car and looked at all four corners. The brakes look like they are squeezing the rotors nice and true, all four rotors have a nice even tone and look great. I bought the black ones and they look amazing.

The only issue I ran into is the front passenger side was exhibiting a slight squeal. I reached out to Kevin and he immediately placed an order for a replacement set of pads as he thinks it's the pad that's making the noise. I'm waiting on those now so we'll see how that goes.

All in all a very positive experience. Oh and they stop the car on a dime. Braking power is great and fade is drastically reduced from my OEM rotors and pads.
__________________
'14 335 xDrive EWG FBO - VRSF Chargepipe - VRSF Catless Downpipe - AA Intercooler - MPE - BM3 Custom Tune by Cary Jordan - R1 Concepts Front/Rear Geomet Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Appreciate 1
obert1130.00

      10-14-2018, 12:18 AM   #11
cesarortiz23
Captain
cesarortiz23's Avatar
United_States
150
Rep
949
Posts

Drives: f30 335i / e82 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: pasadena

iTrader: (0)

r1 concept sucks.!!!


I got my brakes from them for my f30 I have been having problems ever since

Pads suck
They are no good
Rotors are warped
Noise everywhere


Worse purchase ever


I had autozone brakes and rotors on my e90 before and did a way better job.!!



They 100% suck
__________________
2012 f30 335i lowered on h&r super sport springs on 437m replica wheels
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 05:33 AM   #12
XxThe_RemedyXx
Lieutenant Colonel
Greece
571
Rep
1,707
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarortiz23 View Post
r1 concept sucks.!!!


I got my brakes from them for my f30 I have been having problems ever since

Pads suck
They are no good
Rotors are warped
Noise everywhere


Worse purchase ever


I had autozone brakes and rotors on my e90 before and did a way better job.!!



They 100% suck
Sorry you had a bad experience. Did you try reaching out to them?
__________________
'14 335 xDrive EWG FBO - VRSF Chargepipe - VRSF Catless Downpipe - AA Intercooler - MPE - BM3 Custom Tune by Cary Jordan - R1 Concepts Front/Rear Geomet Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #13
yoon_209
Masterchief
yoon_209's Avatar
United_States
241
Rep
777
Posts

Drives: 13' BMW 335i
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (0)

how are you liking the rotors after a few months??
__________________
BMS Intake | ER CP | VRSF FMIC & DP | MPE | JB4 | APEX ARC-8 | H&R Sport | CF Everythang
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #14
XxThe_RemedyXx
Lieutenant Colonel
Greece
571
Rep
1,707
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoon_209 View Post
how are you liking the rotors after a few months??
They've been great so far. The only suggestion I would make is to go with the "Geomet" line of rotors instead of the "E-Line". I went with the black version of the E-Line rotors for my rears and the black portion of the rotor is now discolored and rust seems to be building up on them. The fronts look brand new still, like the day I put them on and seem to be wearing more evenly as well.

Maybe R1 can chime in? I can get some pics up if need be.

The pads have been great as well. Very low dust and make no noise, even in the NY cold weather.
__________________
'14 335 xDrive EWG FBO - VRSF Chargepipe - VRSF Catless Downpipe - AA Intercooler - MPE - BM3 Custom Tune by Cary Jordan - R1 Concepts Front/Rear Geomet Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Appreciate 1
yoon_209241.00

      01-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #15
XxThe_RemedyXx
Lieutenant Colonel
Greece
571
Rep
1,707
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Calling r1concepts
__________________
'14 335 xDrive EWG FBO - VRSF Chargepipe - VRSF Catless Downpipe - AA Intercooler - MPE - BM3 Custom Tune by Cary Jordan - R1 Concepts Front/Rear Geomet Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 01:17 PM   #16
r1concepts
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
r1concepts's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
1,601
Posts


Drives: 07' E90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cerritos, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
They've been great so far. The only suggestion I would make is to go with the "Geomet" line of rotors instead of the "E-Line". I went with the black version of the E-Line rotors for my rears and the black portion of the rotor is now discolored and rust seems to be building up on them. The fronts look brand new still, like the day I put them on and seem to be wearing more evenly as well.

Maybe R1 can chime in? I can get some pics up if need be.

The pads have been great as well. Very low dust and make no noise, even in the NY cold weather.
With the black zinc coating, it does tend to fade overtime but still protect the rotor from rust. If you're seeing signs of rust, the coating at the time may have not properly set onto the rotors during the zinc process.. What you can do to prevent the rust is spray black high temp caliper spray paint on that specific area which people have done in the past as an extra layer of coating.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #17
XxThe_RemedyXx
Lieutenant Colonel
Greece
571
Rep
1,707
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1concepts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
They've been great so far. The only suggestion I would make is to go with the "Geomet" line of rotors instead of the "E-Line". I went with the black version of the E-Line rotors for my rears and the black portion of the rotor is now discolored and rust seems to be building up on them. The fronts look brand new still, like the day I put them on and seem to be wearing more evenly as well.

Maybe R1 can chime in? I can get some pics up if need be.

The pads have been great as well. Very low dust and make no noise, even in the NY cold weather.
With the black zinc coating, it does tend to fade overtime but still protect the rotor from rust. If you're seeing signs of rust, the coating at the time may have not properly set onto the rotors during the zinc process.. What you can do to prevent the rust is spray black high temp caliper spray paint on that specific area which people have done in the past as an extra layer of coating.
Thanks for the info. I totally get that rust will develop no matter what over time, that's a given, but do these rear rotors look normal? The amount of rust buildup and the lip on the E Lines doesn't look right to me compared to the fronts...
Attached Images
         
__________________
'14 335 xDrive EWG FBO - VRSF Chargepipe - VRSF Catless Downpipe - AA Intercooler - MPE - BM3 Custom Tune by Cary Jordan - R1 Concepts Front/Rear Geomet Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #18
Orion4
Major
United_States
253
Rep
1,125
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL

iTrader: (0)

Those rears look lousy compared to the fronts. What is that gouged line or crack on the rotor in the 3rd and 5th photos running from the center to the outer edge. That should not be there.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #19
XxThe_RemedyXx
Lieutenant Colonel
Greece
571
Rep
1,707
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Those rears look lousy compared to the fronts. What is that gouged line or crack on the rotor in the 3rd and 5th photos running from the center to the outer edge. That should not be there.
Yeah I'm trying to figure out that gouge myself... The rears look terrible compared to the fronts. Their Geomet line seems great, E Lines not so much. Hopefully R1 Concepts can chime in? Maybe figure out some type of warranty return/exchange?
__________________
'14 335 xDrive EWG FBO - VRSF Chargepipe - VRSF Catless Downpipe - AA Intercooler - MPE - BM3 Custom Tune by Cary Jordan - R1 Concepts Front/Rear Geomet Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #20
XxThe_RemedyXx
Lieutenant Colonel
Greece
571
Rep
1,707
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

r1concepts
__________________
'14 335 xDrive EWG FBO - VRSF Chargepipe - VRSF Catless Downpipe - AA Intercooler - MPE - BM3 Custom Tune by Cary Jordan - R1 Concepts Front/Rear Geomet Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #21
aps
Lieutenant
aps's Avatar
120
Rep
578
Posts

Drives: '13 F30 335i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

yikes, they gotta fix those rears for you...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #22
XxThe_RemedyXx
Lieutenant Colonel
Greece
571
Rep
1,707
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aps View Post
yikes, they gotta fix those rears for you...
Pretty bad huh? Still waiting...
__________________
'14 335 xDrive EWG FBO - VRSF Chargepipe - VRSF Catless Downpipe - AA Intercooler - MPE - BM3 Custom Tune by Cary Jordan - R1 Concepts Front/Rear Geomet Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST