F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What next...? F32 435i FBO
Studio RSR

01-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #1
435guy
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i

Question What next...? F32 435i FBO

With a little extra time waiting for some parts, I finally replaced the chargepipe, downpipe, and intercooler this past week. I'm someone with remedial experience working on cars (at best), but for anybody considering doing it themselves... It's doable if you have the time. I followed along with some tutorials, but some of it requires some finesse.

As far as the intercooler and chargepipe install, this was the easy part. It took me about 4-5 hours (could've been 2-3 if I had all the necessary tools/parts). The difference in power wasn't something I could notice all too much, but it was a good intro to learning some of the ins and outs of the n55.

NOTE: for the chargepipe, don't give up when the chargepipe seems to refuse to snuggly attach to the throttle body. I did and ended up cuting the perimeter of the o ring in hopes to shave down the clearance... Horrible idea... it made it fit, but gave me a couple CELs (which I posted in another post). I later ordered a new one from Amazon (seller - BoostMonkeys) for an absurd price but it arrived quickly and was just what I needed. From there, you'll have to muscle the chargepipe w/ the o ring in it onto the chargepipe.

ANOTHER NOTE: definitely wear some eye protection when working on the downpipe. I got absurd amounts of debris fall into my eyes before I broke down and bought some weird safety goggles. Also, go ahead and buy an OEM lower downpipe v clamp. I tried transferring that ribbed gasket from the downpipe into the clamp and messed up the tabs pretty horribly... Bought the new one and it fit perfectly.

By the way, the downpipe has an amazing, gurgly tone that isn't very noticeable from inside the car but sounds great on a cold starts and watching it go by. I haven't gotten the chance to go full throttle after the DP install because it started snowing just as I got done, but I'm looking forward to it

Anyways...

I now have:

- Injen Intake
- VRSF Downpipe
- VRSF FMIC
- VRSF Chargepipe
- Beyern Ritz 20" (ordered)

But the question is... what's next?

Not really too concerned about exterior mods except maybe a rear diffuser or front splitter, but I would rather spend that money on some performance upgrades like handling. As far as a new turbo, I don't think that's in my future.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

Get a Stage 2 flash tune to really take advantage of those mods. Bootmod3 and MHD are the most popular and run approximately $500.

You should be in the ~400whp range with those mods + a Stage 2 flash.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #3
435guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Get a Stage 2 flash tune to really take advantage of those mods. Bootmod3 and MHD are the most popular and run approximately $500.

You should be in the ~400whp range with those mods + a Stage 2 flash.
Forgot to mention.. I'm running a JB4 at the moment. Any pro/cons for or against?
      01-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #4
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Look’s like you got the engine mods pretty well covered, especially since you are not going to do a big turbo. You have not said what rubber you’re riding on so I’m thinking tires might be your next step. Suspension mods would also be on my wish list. This thread is not useless without some pics ... you should add a few anyway because .. well pics!
      01-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Awesome!!

Methanol injection / Upgraded turbo is next

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
IH8I405
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428i

Garage List
2015 BMW 428i  [0.00]
Sounds like a great setup. Can we get some pics of the car?
Appreciate 1
435guy22.00
      01-18-2019, 05:35 PM   #7
435guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8I405 View Post
Sounds like a great setup. Can we get some pics of the car?
Here's some photos. I love working on this car no matter how frustrating. Thinking a midpipe or should I go full blown cat back?

Currently I'm FBO (all VRSF). The sound from changing out the downpipe is unreal... not too loud but a more aggressive tone. It gives a different smell to it, but honestly, I'm a fan. Smells like a little like burnt gas, but if you've ever ridden dual sport or dirt bikes, it's pretty similar.

Picture of the headlights shows the autoteknic carbon fiber eye lids. Sorta fills up the empty space left by the stock headlights.

Also, is a CEL common w a downpipe upgrade?
Attached Images

Last edited by 435guy; 01-18-2019 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      01-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #8
435guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
Look's like you got the engine mods pretty well covered, especially since you are not going to do a big turbo. You have not said what rubber you're riding on so I'm thinking tires might be your next step. Suspension mods would also be on my wish list. This thread is not useless without some pics ... you should add a few anyway because .. well pics!
Just added some pics! And I ordered 20" Beyern Ritz put on some Pirelli P Zeros. Still waiting on those.. I'll put a build thread up when those complete my build.