F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > 2014 320d GT - Owner's review [WALL OF TEXT]
ARMA SPEED

03-31-2017, 05:17 PM   #1
Bavarianwagon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G31

2014 320d GT - Owner's review [WALL OF TEXT]

It’s interesting how fast time flies by. Two years and change has already flown by and here I am awaiting the arrival of my third Bavarian wonder wagon in only a matter of weeks.

In the beginning of 2015 I found myself handing over a sizable amount of my hard earned coins to a complete stranger in a fitted suit and tie.
In the exchange I lost two cylinders, gained forced induction and was told I had to start buying something called “Diesel”.

Equally as curious was the fact that I had opted to spend the aforementioned fortune on a bodystyle that most early 20-something year olds wouldn’t really want to be associated with.
Something the stranger in the neat suit was keen to point out. However, this was the beauty of it all to me. Something that, at the time, was different.
Not just another spartanly equipped anonymous company lease tractor adding yet another set of door dings to its neighbour at the local company parking lot. But I digress.

With a fresh set of key fobs resting in my palms, I headed towards the lovable hunchback of a Bavarian I now owned. To be even more specific.
It was a sportline equipped 3 GT in the #fashion correct monochromatic color scheme of white. Not just any white. But Mineral White.

A very rich white that shifts into a faint gold/blue flakey type of cocktail when the sun blesses it with its warming glow.
With the sportline package comes blacked out trim pieces which in this case contrasts well with the Mineral White paint. Something my artsy side appreciates.
Furthermore, a set of gloss black M performance kidney grilles were installed swiftly to complete the look.

Under the hood only a modest 4 cylinder can be found. A more “mature” choice if I may say so myself. Or well that’s what I’ve been telling myself these past two years to calm the hooligan inside of me.
That being said it’s certainly “hoonable”. The low end torque of the 20d engine is very useable. Need to overtake that snapchatting driver in front of you? No worries!
Slap the 8 speed ZF gearbox into sport and off you go! And 7.8 seconds later you’re doing 100km/h.

It may lack the refinement of past straight-sixes that partially built BMW’s fame.
However, the eagerness and power delivery of these 4-bangers are nothing to scoff at so it more than makes up for the lack of smoothness.

While the choice of powerplant might have been “mature”.
My approach to examine the limits of the elongated and slightly heightened chassi has been far from that.
And 95% of the time, on the local Scandinavian backroads, it’s just as sharp as any regular F30/F31’s that normally occupies them. During the last 5% you do feel some body roll.
Although, subjectively the F34 feels more stable on the highway than a F30/F31. It’s less nervous and more predictable. Much like an old E39 5 series.

The insignificant percentage of cornering ability you might lose, your passengers will benefit massively from. If the 3 GT was offered with an abundance of peeled cows and the finest
woodwork in all of Bavaria you’d be able to make a 7 series feel insecure about its executive title. So if you have to ferry a lot of children, drunks or childish drunks around. This is the taxi of choice for you!
Why not bring along your favorite dresser and kitchen appliance?

Because interior accommodations are plenty generous in the GT.
If you are a tall man such as myself there is no need to struggle in the F34. You will be comfortable no matter where you sit or who you sit behind.

However, don’t get too cocky. Beware of the sloping hatchback trunk lid.
It has proven to be an annoyance when this design choice has been neglected. A particular example would be not being able to place four summer tyres abreast.

While we’re on the subject of annoyances the F34 GT does have it’s share of things to be aware of. For example the rear visibility isn’t the best.
It doesn’t help that the c pillars are quite massive and eat into your field of view. Luckily my car came with both front and rear parking sensors.
Which makes life alot easier while performing elaborate parking lot acrobatics.

Furthermore, as with its smaller 3 series siblings, there is a fair amount of tyre roar and wind noise making its way into the interior.
However, I should probably point out we have fairly coarse roads in the cold north. Which adds to this unwanted aural annoyance.

However, the biggest annoyance, which to most of you will seem petty, has been the fact that this car is too “mature” for me.
I’m reaching my mid-20’s and I feel like I’m driving something more suitable to a family man. A family man with good taste and the right priorities.
But a family man nonetheless. I lust for something sportier.
For a lack of a better word, something more “youthful”. Therefore, in a couple of weeks I will no longer be apart of the F34 GT family.
But instead I will be joining forces with the 4 series crowd

That being said though, I enjoyed my little over two years as a F34 owner.
And I’d wholeheartedly recommend the 3 GT to the family looking for an alternative to the traditional wagon formula,
the automotive hipster looking for a quirky machine that’s far from the mainstream or just a person who needs a lot of space but isn’t about the van lifestyle.

TL;DR: Man buys 4 Series because 3 GT was too amazing for him.

2018 430i F36 GC LCI Alpine White
Appreciate 3
Skald55.00
Gorg8659.00
GTBrandon260.00
      03-31-2017, 06:54 PM   #2
pardus
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19' X3 M40i, '03 Z4

Good write up, thanks for sharing.

I was not expecting to by an F34, was actually going in for an X3 as I wanted the space and more of an SUV. After test driving various X3 configs, wasn't really sold and a GT in the showroom caught my attention. Fully loaded 335xi and out of my price range. They did have some 328 versions that were more in my price range and took a couple of those out for a test drive and really didn't like them, the salesperson then recommended I try the fully loaded 335 and it was a completely different car, it roared to life and handled fantastic. I was sold and no regrets. I think I would of been left wanting a lot more and unsatisfied with the 4 cylinder but the N55 engine along with some upgrades leaves me with no buyers regrets. The amount of times i have needed the extra room makes me wonder if I could ever go back to a smaller sedan. I can even fit my surfboards inside, no roof rack!

Did you ever go out and test drive the 335 with m performance package including suspension? If so, what did you think of that?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-01-2017, 02:21 AM   #3
Bavarianwagon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus View Post
Did you ever go out and test drive the 335 with m performance package including suspension? If so, what did you think of that?
I have had the pleasure of driving the diesel equivalent, the 335d, and that
thing was beast like. In Sapphire Black with all the M-sport and M performance goodies. A total c**ktease that one hot damn. The torque is ridiculous.

The main reason for not getting one, believe me I was reaaaalllyy tempted,
was because my financial situation doesn't allow it. I blame our silly high
taxes here in Sweden.

For now I'm stuck window shopping when it comes to the big 6 cylinders.
2018 430i F36 GC LCI Alpine White
Appreciate 1
pardus95.50
      04-02-2017, 05:33 AM   #4
stevethegreatgolfer
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 M Sport 2.01 x drive

I also looked at an X3 first but after driving one I was a bit underwhelmed (not being a previous BMW owner I think I was expecting more). However the 3GT 330d x drive is just fantastic. Ride, handling, performance and economy. Difficult to know what to get after this one, other than another GT.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2017, 09:19 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If I didn't need a 'mature' car that could do it all I would have gone with the 428 coupe. I drove coupes when I had a second vehicle for carrying more than one passenger and/or a fair amount of cargo, and enjoyed them immensely. I seriously entertained the 428GC, but found the 328GT more comfortable, and that's a much higher priority to me now than when I was a twenty-something, or even a forty-something.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #6
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 Competition

Great write up!

I was in the same boat as many others. Was looking to get more room while having a fun ride, and had been test driving the X3's. While they were nice "little" cars, they left something to be desired for me. I then found out how much space the 3GT really has with the seats down and was sold before my first test drive. With the N55 motor inside, plus a few modifications, this car is an absolute beast. While I do miss a lower, and lighter car(sitting at over 4,000lbs with xDrive), this car handled great at an autocross and has not let me down yet.

Would recommend for anyone needing a spacious sport sedan!

Past: 13' Audi S6 | 13' E70 X5M | 13' E92 M3 Comp | 14' BMW 335xi GT | 95' E36 M3 | 84' BMW 733i | 06' Porsche Boxster S | 15' Jeep Grand Cherokee | 06' Acura TL |
85' Honda Shadow VT700 | 05’ Yamaha R6 | 12’ Triumph Tiger
Appreciate 2