F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Looking to get my first BMW. A F34
proTUNING Freaks

06-01-2017, 03:23 PM   #1
Law321
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 Lexus IS 250AWD

Question Looking to get my first BMW. A F34

Hi all!

First, Thanks for all the great info everyone shares in the forum. It has been one of the deciding factors why I'm leaning towards a BMW.

Little history...
I currently drive a Lexus IS250 AWD. 2006 with 163k. Bought it used with 88k for a great deal. The car has been great, minus the regular issues the vehicle is known for. I used to be a mechanic years ago, so I can do most repairs that don't require a lift or major engine disassembly. I did my water pump in a random parking lot at night after it died on the highway 2 hours from home. Yay uber and autozone!
It's time for a new (used) vehicle though. I had a few requirements:
Luxury vehicle
AWD (I love winter sports)
Plenty of storage for weekend adventures.
Folding rear seats. (amazing that some manufacturers don't make this standard)
Panoramic Sunroof
Decent power (IS250 had 205hp. Snail off the line, but pretty good at highway speeds)
Ride comfort/Noise levels
Interior layout. (I hate cheap looking interiors)
Overall exterior look.

So, at first, I was looking at the crossover/small SUV market. LR Evoque (friend has one) Lexus NX, Porsche Maccan, X3, X4, Q5.
The Porsche Maccan covers all bases but is out of my price range, still.
Lexus NX is nice too but still out of range price wise when outfitted with what i want.
The Evoque hit most marks.
X3/X4 were looking good too.
But, when i was checking out the X3/X4 the salesperson showed me the GT. at first I dismissed the idea (I really wanted the Maccan), but once I went home and thought about it, the GT hit all my needs. I've been looking for the perfect GT since (only 5 weeks).

So, I'm looking for an off lease 2014 335 GT (more reliable N55 vs N20.) Preferably CPO. My question is figuring out what the residual values were when the car was initially leased. 65% seems to be the going rate for a 10k lease nowadays. Also what a good deal would be? obviously mileage plays a part, but looking at 22k to 37k miles.

Any feedback would be helpful... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
Deli
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

I'm actually in the exact same boat as you. Love outdoor/winter sports and wife is pregnant, so was looking for something that can be a fun family hauler. I didn't want an SUV due to my parking space in my condo being small, and ended up looking at the 335 GT which checked all the boxes.

Someone else will have to comment on the residuals since I haven't been able to find that info. I've been searching for about 2 months now and just using a combination of Nada, KBB, and Edmunds and just plugging in different combinations each night so I have an idea of what price range I should be looking. CPO seems to run about $2-3k more. I have until November to find the perfect deal, so I've been extremely patient. Since I'm taking my time, I've noticed that these cars sit on the lots. People don't seem to know what they are, think they are ugly, would rather lease, or just want a crossover like everyone else. For reference, I've been negotiating on a few CPO 335's with around 35k miles and the asking price was $38k. I've talked them down to well below $35k and think I can go even further (I think that range should be worth around $32-33k). Also, keep in mind that some of the 2015 models will be coming back off lease next month which might get you an even better deal on a 2014. Another note is if you are willing to give up on some power, the 328's you can get amazing deals just based on pure volume of them out there. It's a big jump in price, but for the the inline 6 is worth it, but it may not be as important for you. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #3
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

6 cylinder GTs are incredibly rare in the US. When I purchased mine, I was unable to find a test drive within 1500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
6 cylinder GTs are incredibly rare in the US. When I purchased mine, I was unable to find a test drive within 1500 miles.
I never considered anything but a four. I never found my 6 cyl Altima lacking, and knowing the BMW four beat it I decided to save on both the initial cost and the gas. IMO it's part of the GT mindset, practicality rules.
OP, when I was shopping for mine I found Truecar.com to be the best source. I just found a few 328iX for less than $30k with mileage around 35k. I found this, which is a great deal, so they do exist:
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...-gran-turismo/
It's not loaded by any means, but it's exactly what I have, even the color, and I don't find mine wanting in any way.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
Law321
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deli View Post
I'm actually in the exact same boat as you. Love outdoor/winter sports and wife is pregnant, so was looking for something that can be a fun family hauler. I didn't want an SUV due to my parking space in my condo being small, and ended up looking at the 335 GT which checked all the boxes.

Someone else will have to comment on the residuals since I haven't been able to find that info. I've been searching for about 2 months now and just using a combination of Nada, KBB, and Edmunds and just plugging in different combinations each night so I have an idea of what price range I should be looking. CPO seems to run about $2-3k more. I have until November to find the perfect deal, so I've been extremely patient. Since I'm taking my time, I've noticed that these cars sit on the lots. People don't seem to know what they are, think they are ugly, would rather lease, or just want a crossover like everyone else. For reference, I've been negotiating on a few CPO 335's with around 35k miles and the asking price was $38k. I've talked them down to well below $35k and think I can go even further (I think that range should be worth around $32-33k). Also, keep in mind that some of the 2015 models will be coming back off lease next month which might get you an even better deal on a 2014. Another note is if you are willing to give up on some power, the 328's you can get amazing deals just based on pure volume of them out there. It's a big jump in price, but for the the inline 6 is worth it, but it may not be as important for you. Good luck!
I agree with you on pricing for a 335 being in the low 30s. there is a Black 335 at my local dealer but they are stuck on 36K, but only 19k miles. You made a good point on the '15 models coming off lease soon. I didnt thin of that. perhaps I can negotiate abit more.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 06:43 PM   #6
Law321
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I never considered anything but a four. I never found my 6 cyl Altima lacking, and knowing the BMW four beat it I decided to save on both the initial cost and the gas. IMO it's part of the GT mindset, practicality rules.
OP, when I was shopping for mine I found Truecar.com to be the best source. I just found a few 328iX for less than $30k with mileage around 35k. I found this, which is a great deal, so they do exist:
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...-gran-turismo/
It's not loaded by any means, but it's exactly what I have, even the color, and I don't find mine wanting in any way.
I originally was looking to get a 328, but after a bit of reading and research, I noticed that the N55 is more reliable than the N20. I usually keep my vehicles until they are 10 years old and buy used again. Being said even if it were a CPO vehicle the warranty would expire in 2020 and I would keep the car through 2026ish. So long term reliability is important to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 12:57 AM   #7
Gran_Turismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law321 View Post
I originally was looking to get a 328, but after a bit of reading and research, I noticed that the N55 is more reliable than the N20. I usually keep my vehicles until they are 10 years old and buy used again. Being said even if it were a CPO vehicle the warranty would expire in 2020 and I would keep the car through 2026ish. So long term reliability is important to me.
Can you enlighten me on the reliability issues with the 328 vs 335? I've been searching for a cpo 328 gt for over a month now. I also intend on keeping the car long term.

I currently drive an 05 Acura TL that I've owned for 7+ years. It's been fairly reliable for the most part. But it's time for a bigger car. Most people are telling me not to buy a cpo BMW or German car in general if I plan on keeping long term bc of expensive maintenance and reliability issues. Most of my friends with BMWs lease and don't keep their cars longer than 3 years. Would also like some advice on this if anyone can offer! Thanks
Appreciate 0