F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > AP intake hot as hell install help
proTUNING Freaks

09-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #23
Cubandy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedTo///M View Post
Has anyone else experienced problems with this intake?
BUMP
      09-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #24
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

I've had this intake on my car for 6k+ miles now. Absolutely no problems! No check engine light or anything... I did install the AFE intake scoop for more air (who knows how much it REALLY helps?) and am considering gold heat wrap just because....

The sound is intoxicating! Couldn't be happier!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #25
sNICKa
Rep
Drives: '18 340i

Question for the people who do have this installed.. Trying to do it right now but cant for the life of me loosen the clamp on the bottom portion.. any tips?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #26
grantheider
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i xDrive with MPPSK

Smile Air inlet scoop SOLUTION

I've been running the AP Intake on my '18 440i MPPSK with Dinan Stage 1 for about 10,000 miles in LA. I had the exact same concern so I looked all over the internet and found the solution.

THE PROBLEM:

The old air intake box, because of it's closed design could suck in air thru the air inlet channel which runs from the left of the front radiator inside the grill to the air intake itself.

Since this is gone now because the AP intake it open, there is no way for the "cold" air to be sucked/forced into the air intake. Most of the air that it's getting is sucked into the air intake is heat from the turbo and the cat which are right behind the AP heat shield.

THE SOLUTION:

aFe power sells their Magnum FORCE Intake System Dynamic Air Scoop for most F series models. This is a scoop that can be easily installed on the air inlet inside the grill (left of the radiator). This scoop allows air to be directed/forced into the intake. This will help the intake receive "cold" much easier and keep the hot air out!

All you need to do is remove the left grill and attach the scoop to the air inlet.

Click the link, it will show you everything!
https://afepower.com/media/catalog/p...0l_t_n20_5.pdf
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #27
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantheider View Post
I've been running the AP Intake on my '18 440i MPPSK with Dinan Stage 1 for about 10,000 miles in LA. I had the exact same concern so I looked all over the internet and found the solution.

THE PROBLEM:

The old air intake box, because of it's closed design could suck in air thru the air inlet channel which runs from the left of the front radiator inside the grill to the air intake itself.

Since this is gone now because the AP intake it open, there is no way for the "cold" air to be sucked/forced into the air intake. Most of the air that it's getting is sucked into the air intake is heat from the turbo and the cat which are right behind the AP heat shield.

THE SOLUTION:

aFe power sells their Magnum FORCE Intake System Dynamic Air Scoop for most F series models. This is a scoop that can be easily installed on the air inlet inside the grill (left of the radiator). This scoop allows air to be directed/forced into the intake. This will help the intake receive "cold" much easier and keep the hot air out!

All you need to do is remove the left grill and attach the scoop to the air inlet.

https://afepower.com/media/catalog/p...0l_t_n20_5.pdf
Interesting. This will probably help the oem system also.
      02-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #28
340i_f30
Rep
Drives: 340i

Well, I was just about to order my intake, but after reading this, I'm thinking a hard no...

OP, what ever came out of the check engine light, are you still running this intake or did you toss it?

I was really looking forward to the better turbo sound, but not at the cost of all of these issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:25 AM   #29
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
I have the AP intake and have not had any issues with it but I don't live in a particularly hot state and haven't done a lot of performance driving in the summer. Now that I'm making more power I wonder if this will become a bigger issue. I also have a track day scheduled for this July on larger road course instead of just parking lot autoX. I'd be interested in more information on this fix also.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 10:30 PM   #30
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantheider View Post

THE PROBLEM:

THE SOLUTION:

https://afepower.com/media/catalog/product/files/pdpfiles/0/6/06-80434_54-12218_bmw_328i_ix_f30_12-16_l4-2.0l_t_n20_5.pdf
Thanks - just fired on scoop!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #31
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sµpreme View Post
I have the AP intake and have not had any issues with it but I don't live in a particularly hot state and haven't done a lot of performance driving in the summer. Now that I'm making more power I wonder if this will become a bigger issue. I also have a track day scheduled for this July on larger road course instead of just parking lot autoX. I'd be interested in more information on this fix also.
you won't have any issues, all the dynos I have seen clearly show this intake making more power than stock.

the slightly higher temp is overshadowed but the increased airflow.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Supr3me551.00