F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Question of tire setup for the track
proTUNING Freaks

03-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #23
Nihilation
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, 328xi AT and 328i 6MT

FYI, you guys might look for take-off Dunlop Sport Maxx RT's from the Subaru STI. They're 245/40/18's and guys are selling complete sets with little miles for $300+. That's how I snagged two sets and they performed well at NJMP.

Don't get me wrong, they're no PSS but for that money they're incredible.

Edit: Actually, I have a set laying around collecting dust since they're too narrow for my M3.
      03-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #24
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 EBII F36 430d M Sport

Back to the earlier swaybars discussion, I am close to pull the trigger on them.
I already have coilovers installed (PSS10s on stiff setting) as well as the front F80 control arms. The car already handles a lot better than when it was stock (standard Sport suspension), but body roll is still excessive IMHO.

I am still on Michelin PSS and a set of different tires could already help with lateral grip, but I feel that a better weight distribution on all 4 wheels during cornering would be more beneficial. Maybe I am wrong...
      03-21-2016, 02:42 AM   #25
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Man i've spent the last couple months trying to find these Federal 595 RS-R tires but its been impossible to get them in a 235/40/18. Online tires doesn't seem to know when the next shipment might come. Could be end of April, May, or even June.

I can't really wait around not knowing when these Federal tires are coming in so I ended up grabbing a set of RE-71R's in 235/40/18 from Costco as they were having an instant $70 rebate on any set of Bridgestones (was hoping to get 245's but they were sold out completely in all of North America apparently)

Came out to $217CAD/tire plus $15/tire for mounting and balancing. I think thats about $160 USD per tire so I think that's pretty good! Installation, levy and tax all included worked out to $1063 CAD (Approx. $780 USD).

The tire rep at Costco did bring up a question which was whether I was sure I wanted to go with these tires because they have a W speed rating where my car's stock tires have a Y speed rating and he was rambling on about how my car came stock with Y rated tires so I really shouldn't be going down a speed rating. I went ahead and got the tires anyway because I couldn't' for the life of me see how it could have any material impact whatsoever. Am I right to assume so? Any thoughts from others?

On another note, something I learned that day was that Costco deals directly with Bridgestone (and the other three big 4 tire companies also I believe) and as such, don't go through distributors for their tires. He also said that they do not mark up their tires at all and only make profit on the installs. I'm not sure how much truth there is to this, but they did blow some other tire shops out of the water with their price. Even the regular price of the RE-71R's at Costco were close to 15% cheaper than the closest competitor. With the additional $70 off a set of 4, I can't really go wrong!

Looking forward to getting out on the track for the first track day...looks like it will be April sometime.
Appreciate 0