F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > iPhone NBT/Spotify Question
proTUNING Freaks

09-22-2020, 02:46 PM   #23
newbos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320D

Thanks, I have a 2014 F31 with NBT (wide-screen and big button for control? How do I get Spotify art and play lists to appear on my car?

BMW E92 335D
Gone but not forgotten

BMW E92 335D
Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 02:48 PM   #24
mcscoobs
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbos View Post
Thanks, I have a 2014 F31 with NBT (wide-screen and big button for control? How do I get Spotify art and play lists to appear on my car?
Are you connecting via USB or Bluetooth? After I did the software update, it worked fine. Always connect via USB though to be honest
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 03:21 PM   #25
newbos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If I do a check online for bmw updates it says my car is up to date. I have tried USB from centre armrest and Spotify isn't appearing on my nbt. I can still use Spotify via Bluetooth but I get no playlists or art

BMW E92 335D
Gone but not forgotten

BMW E92 335D
Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 03:24 PM   #26
mcscoobs
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If I do a check online for bmw updates it says my car is up to date. I have tried USB from centre armrest and Spotify isn't appearing on my nbt. I can still use Spotify via Bluetooth but I get no playlists or art
When you connect via USB and press the Media button, does it display your phone as an external device?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 03:27 PM   #27
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
I think mine just gave the latest software to download, rather than saying it was up to date?

Mine still doesn't show Spotify in the list of connections on the display, but if you start it in the phone it will then allow you to move through the tracks etc as normal - it'll show artwork but not playlists. Maybe I'm more easily pleased as to what it does as it's definitely not as good as carplay but it's good enough for what I need. I found previously that if you connected the phone with the cable for music it then wouldn't allow the phone to work via bluetooth for calls, which was frustrating so this is at least better than that! Is there not some subscription you have to pay to get the full connected thing with Spotify?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 03:35 PM   #28
newbos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcscoobs View Post
Quote:
When you connect via USB and press the Media button, does it display your phone as an external device?
Yes it does and it will play music, but it doesn't show any info on the display. Do you have to use a genuine bmw USB cable or does anything work?

BMW E92 335D
Gone but not forgotten

BMW E92 335D
Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 03:36 PM   #29
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Are you guys Android or iPhone? The former was very poorly supported on 2014 age idrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #30
mcscoobs
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
Quote:
I think mine just gave the latest software to download, rather than saying it was up to date?

Mine still doesn't show Spotify in the list of connections on the display, but if you start it in the phone it will then allow you to move through the tracks etc as normal - it'll show artwork but not playlists. Maybe I'm more easily pleased as to what it does as it's definitely not as good as carplay but it's good enough for what I need. I found previously that if you connected the phone with the cable for music it then wouldn't allow the phone to work via bluetooth for calls, which was frustrating so this is at least better than that! Is there not some subscription you have to pay to get the full connected thing with Spotify?
So for me, pre-software update, I'd only get the first tune artwork but nothing else. Post update, I'd see all artwork for every tune that played. Other than my "liked" songs, I haven't looked for playlists.

I actually use Apple Music more... I can search through playlists easily and get artwork fine, but that's all music I've uploaded to my phone via iTunes, not the streaming service.

Newbos - Can you check what media firmware version you're running?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 05:08 PM   #31
newbos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcscoobs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
Quote:

So for me, pre-software update, I'd only get the first tune artwork but nothing else. Post update, I'd see all artwork for every tune that played. Other than my "liked" songs, I haven't looked for playlists.

I actually use Apple Music more... I can search through playlists easily and get artwork fine, but that's all music I've uploaded to my phone via iTunes, not the streaming service.

Newbos - Can you check what media firmware version you're running?
Is that in the settings on media? I am also using an android if that makes a difference.

BMW E92 335D
Gone but not forgotten

BMW E92 335D
Montego Blue
Appreciate 0