F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > What primer to use for deep scratch?
ARMA SPEED

09-06-2020, 04:01 PM   #1
GrabEmByTheBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

I was watching a chemical guys car washing video where they suggested you lift the wiper blades during washing. The blades on their Mustang GT stayed up. On my F30 the blades also stayed up, but only bc they were pinned against the lip of the hood. When I moved them back down, I had two areas of missing paint.

I was extra dumb and didn't take pictures. I have a glacier silver f30, and the color in the scratch was a different shade of grey. I'm unsure if it was primer or metal I was seeing. There was also some black in certain areas.

I used touch up basecoat and clearcoat to cover it, but I think I want to remove it with paint thinner to add some touch up primer just in case metal was exposed. My questions:

Will basecoat and clearcoat alone protect against rust even if there is no primer underneath?

How best to remove my touch up paint and clearcoat without messing up the factory paint, and is it even worth it to try?

What color primer should I use for a glacier silver basecoat, and does anyone have recommendations for touch up primer, esp any available on amazon? I'm having trouble finding any.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 08:59 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Primer doesn't protect against rust. It's used to improve the bond of the paint. Leave well enough alone.
Appreciate 0