F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
GetBMWParts

11-28-2020, 05:51 PM   #5435
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottydzntkno View Post
Are people still suggesting to stay away from Carlinkit? I'm tempted to buy theirs as it seems to be the cheapest and easiest to return should I run into any issues.

Any other suggestions would be very helpful!
Yeah I had a problem with a flash update gone bad. Otherwise it was fine and Amazon took it back. But only cost me $250 more for the Bimmertech

Which BTW don’t rely on any Bimmertech firmware on this thread it is several versions behind from what showed up on my unit.

Otherwise you are good with carlinkit and custom software.

You just need to be aware that you are going to be required to flash firmware and likely the custom versions to get it working the way it should have come.

Last edited by techlogik; 11-29-2020 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:51 PM   #5436
random_flasher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F56

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateapex'er View Post
understood, except my camera does not auto-trigger when put into reverse. I think I am missing something as the camera does indeed work. Looking into updating Carlinkit as I am on customer version 9.1.9.yl.b. thank you!
In module settings, did you choose Camera type : Aftermarket, and not OEM ?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:53 PM   #5437
lateapex'er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabzer View Post
In module settings, did you choose Camera type : Aftermarket, and not OEM ?
yes, I did that! I also turned off reverse display track and reverse display radar
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:56 PM   #5438
random_flasher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
yes, I did that! I also turned off reverse display track and reverse display radar
Really weird... check others option such as Line detection is set to off and if it's still not working plug it to the purple cable "BACK"
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 06:44 PM   #5439
lateapex'er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really weird... check others option such as Line detection is set to off and if it's still not working plug it to the purple cable "BACK"
Updated to the latest firmware and confirmed all options under reverse were set to off and still no luck! Connected wire to purple "back" cable like you suggested and that did not do anything either! Checked the current on the purple cable and was reading 0.03

The last thing I can think of is the ground wire is not connected on the camera end. Unsure if this will make a difference but will be giving it a shot.

I also noticed there is no option for "rear line detection" under reverse settings. There is an MCU upgrade so I will give that a shot in the morning.

Side note, I upgrade from v9.1.9.yl.b to v9.2.9.yl.b, and I was not asked for a PIN??

Last edited by lateapex'er; 11-28-2020 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 01:19 AM   #5440
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkwick View Post
Hi!

After following the discussions for quite a long time, today I pulled the trigger and bought the Carlinkit from aliexpress ($252 shipped with DHL).

I've watched the instruction video on the first page for BMW F10, but I'm still not sure where should I put the MMI Box.

Do you guys have any idea where can I put the box neatly for F10?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 03:00 AM   #5441
IvanK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48

Here's one (until now) positive story about Carlinkit.

I ordered the unit Monday evening (aliexpress, seller: Official Carlinkit Store), on Tuesday I was asked to send a photo of the main idrive menu and to confirm my address. They shipped it from China Wednesday morning with DHL Express and on Friday morning it was delivered without any import taxes or any other additional costs here in Germany.

This was really fast since I sometimes order stuff that's in Germany and it takes more than two days to be delivered.

Now I just have to find time to install it and confirm all works good. Just to be sure though, the custom firmware I would need for the Carlinkit is v2.0.B0.mod (for BMW) (no PIN) (Cross compatible) (based on: v2.0.2.7t0.mmi.b)?

The procedure is: download the file, copy ISPBOOOT.BIN to a usb stick (formatted FAT32) into root directory, navigate to software/system update and and run the update. That's all?

Doesn't matter with which software the unit came, I can update it with the custom firmware without having to first update it to the latest official one? I ask this because of Warning 3 from the first page:

Warning 3: Do not flash directly to the latest version in case you still run on a very old firmware!

This is I guess only if you want to update the unit with the official firmware and not the custom one.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 08:36 AM   #5442
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruez View Post
Hi all
Im looking for black friday or cybermonday deals.
Cant find any deals on amazon. All around 300?!

Cheapest on ali is 147€....

Anyone find any cheaper?

Some aditional questions. I wonder why id5/6 users install an mmi.? You have the carplay option already if im right?

I read here that you can have fullscreen carplay and split screen. Does that mean that left is carplay and right the oem bmw widgets for example?

If you enter the car with carplay autoconnect can it start the internetradio automaticly?

Thx in advance.
No that link earlier I bought my carlinkit from was around $320 or so on Amazon. But when the firmware bricked just had to ship it back at no cost via Amazon and was refunded the money entirely. Still better than dealing with anybody on Aliexpress and China directly.

Last edited by techlogik; 12-02-2020 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #5443
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hi!

After following the discussions for quite a long time, today I pulled the trigger and bought the Carlinkit from aliexpress ($252 shipped with DHL).

I've watched the instruction video on the first page for BMW F10, but I'm still not sure where should I put the MMI Box.

I dropped the glovebox and put it in the space in the right side of the console. This took the longest by far along with stuffing foam and getting wires prepped to secure it there. Also there is no flat part to double side tape it in there like some videos show. I have a 435i so not sure how they double side taped it unless the consoles are diff slightly on some models of cars. I used foam because it will just rattle and bounce around in that gap. Stuffed it around the unit and pushed the twisty tied wires behind the small gap that goes to the main stock unit where I ran cables across to main head unit.

The WiFi antenna though you can secure to the flat slight curved part of the right side cavity. When you remove the glovebox, and that cavity has a curve with a flat curve portion, Wifi antenna fit along that nicely, took the adhesive off and put it there. Wireless Carplay works great. My glovebox acts like a barrier against the foam and the hinge mech rubs slightly when opening but works fine and doesn’t rattle while driving.

Last edited by techlogik; 12-02-2020 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #5444
lateapex'er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all your help! I was able to get it to work after updating MCU & Cust Version to the latest available versions. My reverse settings on the carlinkit seem different from others. I've attached pics of my reverse settings in case other users have similar issues.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 01:41 PM   #5445
scottpaper
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Quote:
Hi!

In my 2015 M5 there is a plastic square in the roof of the glovebox that is held in place with a few screws. I set my mmi box in there and reinstalled the plastic square. Very easy and plenty of room!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 03:42 AM   #5446
random_flasher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all your help! I was able to get it to work after updating MCU & Cust Version to the latest available versions. My reverse settings on the carlinkit seem different from others. I've attached pics of my reverse settings in case other users have similar issues.
Good news Enjoy now !
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #5447
tikicaca
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320d, BMW 650i e63

Hello, colleagues I need your support. I’ve put Andream Carplay MMI together with NBT HU and Cargrade E-Series to NBT emulator to BMW e63. When car is stationary and key is on but without ignition and engine running, everything works fine. If I switch ign on or start engine carplay i switching to nbt and remains untill engine/ignition off. Menu switch is not able to switch it between nbt<>carplay. Carplay unit is still on only display is switched back to nbt, as music via aux is still playing. Do you know maybe which canbus message can permanently switch carplay display to nbt? It would be really great if it will work on old E-Series
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 07:18 PM   #5448
Masum2004
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 116i

First of all sorry for my long post.

Thanks everyone for your help and contributions. I was able to install a Road Top NBT unit successfully along with a Backup/Reverse camera.

All works okay except time to time the Bluetooth doesn't connect automatically and I have to connect from my phone. This is especially when I leave the car for long. The MMI is running on BR112 and 20.8.19.23 (MCU). Is there any software or hardware fix for this issue?

I don't have front PDC, I'm thinking to add the front camera. But the question is, how do you enable/access the front camera? BimmerTech video (
@ 17:58) mentions of 4 ways to access the camera - pressing 8 on radio, holding iDrive Menu for 3 sec, pressing selection button, pressing OK button on remote. As I don't have the remote, would I be able to configure a Favourite key (say 8) to switch the display to front camera OR add a selection button (can source one from eBay for cheap but not sure which wires to connect to).

Pressing the Menu button for 3 seconds takes me to iDrive! I don't want to use the Camera option from the MMI as it's long and not ideal.

Could anyone with the aftermarket front camera with MMI (except BimmerTech) please help. I have late 2013 F20 Manual without front PDC sensors.

Thank you.
Attached Images

12-01-2020, 12:03 AM   #5449
dws199
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masum2004 View Post

Thanks everyone for your help and contributions. I was able to install a Road Top NBT unit successfully along with a Backup/Reverse camera.

All works okay except time to time the Bluetooth doesn't connect automatically and I have to connect from my phone. This is especially when I leave the car for long. The MMI is running on BR112 and 20.8.19.23 (MCU). Is there any software or hardware fix for this issue?

I don't have front PDC, I'm thinking to add the front camera. But the question is, how do you enable/access the front camera? BimmerTech video (
@ 17:58) mentions of 4 ways to access the camera - pressing 8 on radio, holding iDrive Menu for 3 sec, pressing selection button, pressing OK button on remote. As I don't have the remote, would I be able to configure a Favourite key (say 8) to switch the display to front camera OR add a selection button (can source one from eBay for cheap but not sure which wires to connect to).

Pressing the Menu button for 3 seconds takes me to iDrive! I don't want to use the Camera option from the MMI as it's long and not ideal.

Could anyone with the aftermarket front camera with MMI (except BimmerTech) please help.

Thank you.
I've got mine setup so that it only comes on when I'm parking (PDC is on) and shift to 1st gear but I've had to wire in one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DLV3A...ing=UTF8&psc=1 , it works really well though.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 01:47 AM   #5450
Masum2004
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dws199 View Post
Quote:

Could anyone with the aftermarket front camera with MMI (except BimmerTech) please help.

Thank you.
I've got mine setup so that it only comes on when I'm parking (PDC is on) and shift to 1st gear but I've had to wire in one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DLV3A...UTF8&psc=1 , it works really well though.
Thanks for your response. Sounds great as you have the PDC. I don't have the front PDC means I will have to manually activate it. Hence looking for a one button / quick shortcut option.
      12-01-2020, 02:26 AM   #5451
dws199
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport 2014

Quote:
Thanks for your response. Sounds great as you have the PDC. I don't have the front PDC means I will have to manually activate it. Hence looking for a one button / quick shortcut option.
I don't think it matters that you don't have the front PDC. This cable is effectively a switch that takes two input video feeds and outputs one, it switches between them based on which feed is live. So in my setup the rear camera is only shown when the car is in reverse and then it switches to the front camera feed once the car is out of reverse, since the rear camera only has power when the car is in reverse. The MMI box will display the output of this switch (you plug the output of the switch into the rear input of the MMI and don't use the front input).

So if currently you are seeing the rear camera when parking and in first gear (or drive) then this should work.
Appreciate 1
parmap1.50
      12-01-2020, 04:15 AM   #5452
zeus_1903
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2014 3.20d f30

I use carlinkit v9.2.9 version in my vehicle, my phone is iphone 8 plus. I am encountering disconnection problems. Before my wifi channel was 36, I set it to 6 and then the disconnections decreased. Which one do you use? Which channel works best with iPhone?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 10:14 AM   #5453
tikicaca
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320d, BMW 650i e63

Source code of MCU

Hi, Does anybody have source code of MCU? I'm retrofitting Andream Carplay to E-Series with already retrofitted NBT. I have to do some changes related to CAN-BUS to make it running properly. Currently it switches video back to nbt when engine or ignition on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #5454
Masum2004
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dws199 View Post
Quote:
I don't think it matters that you don't have the front PDC. This cable is effectively a switch that takes two input video feeds and outputs one, it switches between them based on which feed is live. So in my setup the rear camera is only shown when the car is in reverse and then it switches to the front camera feed once the car is out of reverse, since the rear camera only has power when the car is in reverse. The MMI box will display the output of this switch (you plug the output of the switch into the rear input of the MMI and don't use the front input).

So if currently you are seeing the rear camera when parking and in first gear (or drive) then this should work.
Thanks again for responding. Just to clarify, when the car is not on reverse the front camera is always on? Or am I getting it wrong. If I'm using the MMI for navigation, phone call will they work and show on the screen.

I only need it when parking on tight space or parking against raised pavement in the front.

How do I activate the front camera, does your's activate with PDC?

Sorry if I sound a bit clueless/deaf here.

Appreciate your time and help.
      12-01-2020, 10:56 PM   #5455
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Thanks again for responding. Just to clarify, when the car is not on reverse the front camera is always on? Or am I getting it wrong. If I'm using the MMI for navigation, phone call will they work and show on the screen.

I only need it when parking on tight space or parking against raised pavement in the front.

How do I activate the front camera, does your's activate with PDC?

Sorry if I sound a bit clueless/deaf here.

Appreciate your time and help.
Are you using the Roadtop unit AND the Bimmertech MMI?
I have an aftermarket front camera and the Andream unit which is supposed to be like the Roadtop unit. No PDC front or rear.

When cycling in reverse the rear camera turns on along with the dynamic parking lines. When moving to D, the front camera cycles on for the amount of time you designate in the menu, and then goes back to the CarPlay screen.

At the moment there is no way to manually engage the front camera on its own like the Bimmertech MMI unit which is different than the Bimmertech CarPlay unit.

There’s some older posts several pages back where another user ran their module in series with what I’m guessing is a Bimmertech MMI unit, however I tried using their suggestion with my Bimmertech screen mirroring/backup camera module with no luck.

Bimmertech make a lot of products so will need to be careful on the naming or terminology used lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 11:42 PM   #5456
Radekxpl
The General
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35D & E46 M3

Looking to pull a trigger on one if these units, which one is the most bug free user friendly unit these days Andream, Carlink, or RoadTop ? Looking to put this in Nbt f15 X5 thanks for any feedback in advance 🙏
Appreciate 0