F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
proTUNING Freaks

08-23-2020, 05:17 PM   #4357
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambo622 View Post
I have the stock 8.8". It's definitely close, but still seems wrong given the stretching, would love to compare it to the OEM implementation on the 2017+ cars. DPI seems fine, it's just the resolution/aspect ratio that seems a hair off.

I have a Pixel 4. That does seem to be the issue, so maybe it's on the phone side, I'm not aware of any settings to change that.
Funny thing...my phone started to not automatically connect to the mmi bt connection which is causing autolaunch to not to work. I should have knocked on wood.
I noticed these new settings in the Android Auto app. I had to pair the mmi using these settings for auto launch to work again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 05:28 PM   #4358
makowb
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2017

Is there a documented method to see which hardware I have? I got one from ebay here and would like to get the software ready before I install it into my car.

If I already have an existing USB for my NBT unit (F48 X1), is that how I do further updates later on or do I need to have the trim fully removed to update it? I'd like to just do it once if possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 06:57 PM   #4359
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Has anyone seen this: https://www.android-car-dvd.com/prod...33378247508104

I'm mad I bought the MMI box instead of this. Looks like an easy upgrade though if you already have an MMI box installed. Plug CAN power into new touchscreen from existing MMI. LVDS goes back into the headunit and goes to the new screen.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 07:34 PM   #4360
cinergi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xDrive Modern Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduwinner View Post
I don't know if steering wheel buttons should work with Carlinkit SW, but you can install the custom firmware v2 with last bimmertech MCU and steering wheel buttons are working
Thanks. I found an option in the Settings menu (called "Wheel U/D control" or something like that) that was disabled. Enabling it caused the steering wheel dial to start working.

Now I've discovered another issue, however. Sometimes Carplay doesn't connect when starting the car, although the MMI lists my iPhone as "connected". The only way I've found to get it working again is via the WirelessDev > Reset menu item, which seems to reboot the entire MMI. After the reboot, Carplay connects fine. This is quite annoying, though. I'm hoping a different software will fix this...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 11:00 PM   #4361
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post

I'm mad I bought the MMI box instead of this. Looks like an easy upgrade though if you already have an MMI box installed. Plug CAN power into new touchscreen from existing MMI. LVDS goes back into the headunit and goes to the new screen.
The price is good if it works well. But I would wait for reviews from actual users. Also noticed that it provides wired only Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 02:37 AM   #4362
LJT
Rep
Drives: F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post

Yeah I shared the same feeling. But if you look closely, it says AA is only wired and has its own microphone. I don't know, how the quality is. I'd rather use the OEM mic. But for this price an upgrade to a bigger (touch)screen with almost the same functionality is tempting. But unfortunately I bought the box as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 04:19 AM   #4363
jrdnlc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Has anyone used a dvr system with the andream? What front/rear cameras do you guys recommend?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 06:20 AM   #4364
biomed27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenirox View Post
I have a poor display of the reverse camera with the Andream Unit.

I have installed an aftet market camera, and worked just fine until i swap it.

Also, the reverse lines are very slow, and dont catch up with the car changing directions.

Has anyone already seen this problems?
Having the same issue. Ended up disabling dynamic lines.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 06:44 AM   #4365
eduwinner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F30 M

Quote:

Also, the reverse lines are very slow, and dont catch up with the car changing directions.

My reverse lines are slow too, don't know if a new firmware could fix it as I guess it should use more RAM
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 11:04 AM   #4366
Besty78
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 330d

hey guys
I've flashed the v2 mod on my andream (A) unit and i flashed the latest bimmertec mcu afterwards , I'm now trying to flash the custom mcu for v2 mod and my unit looks like it's updating, i reboot to see the new version number and no change ? anyone else have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 01:36 PM   #4367
xenirox
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 32D Luxury 184HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomed27 View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

When you say same problem, which one? 😹😹
Is it the quality of the image or the slow lines?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #4368
xenirox
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 32D Luxury 184HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduwinner View Post
Quote:

My reverse lines are slow too, don't know if a new firmware could fix it as I guess it should use more RAM
Quote:
Quote:

I have the old reverse camera unit, i don't know if it will work if i pit it over the Andream unit, and tell the OS that i'm using a real OEM camera, that it dosen't catch the signal when i put the car in reverse.

Any toughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #4369
jaypayne05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe M Package

So this is what I notice for the Andream B unit after updating to the new firmware B.V 1.0.4 and using the new MMI car Bluetooth feature and connecting the phone to the idrive for calls only. So for incoming calls it works with the Idrive and you can also answer it with CarPlay or with the steering wheel. With out going calls you have to select the car Bluetooth on your phone if you are using CarPlay to make the call but if you use the car steering wheel to make a call from your call history it will just work with the idrive system with out switching over.

This is for cars that uses CarPlay I'm not sure about AA.
x-m4n148.00
      08-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #4370
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypayne05 View Post
So this is what I notice for the Andream B unit after updating to the new firmware B.V 1.0.4 and using the new MMI car Bluetooth feature and connecting the phone to the idrive for calls only. So for incoming calls it works with the Idrive and you can also answer it with CarPlay or with the steering wheel. With out going calls you have to select the car Bluetooth on your phone if you are using CarPlay to make the call but if you use the car steering wheel to make a call from your call history it will just work with the idrive system with out switching over.

This should be the same for v2.1.0.9.gpe.b

When I tested it, I didn't even think to try making a call using the steering wheel, I just tried via CarPlay which did not work (no sound), unless I disconnected the car from the BMW i-drive then it did work with sound.

Seems they are getting closer to fixing this issue.
Appreciate 2
      08-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #4371
cinergi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xDrive Modern Line

Quote:

Here's how my Carlinkit unit behaves using the latest OEM software v9.2.8.yl.b and MCU 20.06.02 (using Carplay). For outgoing calls, if I initiate the call from the steering wheel using the call history, it uses the stock BMW Bluetooth system; if I use the Carplay interface, it uses Carplay. Similarly, if I answer incoming calls using the steering wheel button it uses the BMW system, and if I answer from Carplay it uses Carplay. Once a call is in progress, it is possible to reroute it to either system using the iPhone's Audio button.

The above assumes that the steering wheel controls are disabled in the MMI configuration menu; there's a setting called "Wheel Control" or something similar - I don't recall exactly. If this setting is enabled, the wheel controls (call button and scroll wheel) are mapped to Carplay, in which case the calls are always handled by Carplay. For this reason, I keep the "Wheel Control" option off; the only functionality I lose is that I can't use the scroll wheel to navigate in Carplay, but I prefer using the iDrive knob anyway.

If I need to call a number that's not in my call history, I switch to iDrive to initiate the call to ensure that it goes via the BMW system. Once the call has been initiated, I can switch back to Carplay and the call stays on the BMW system.

Using Carplay for the calls results in no audio as others have reported. I always use the BMW system as described above, which seems to work well for me.

-cinergi
Appreciate 3
      08-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #4372
jaypayne05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Quote:

This should be the same for v2.1.0.9.gpe.b

When I tested it, I didn't even think to try making a call using the steering wheel, I just tried via CarPlay which did not work (no sound), unless I disconnected the car from the BMW i-drive then it did work with sound.

Seems they are getting closer to fixing this issue.
They are getting really close. They just need to fix the out going calls from CarPlay and it would be perfect
      08-24-2020, 04:17 PM   #4373
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They are getting really close. They just need to fix the out going calls from CarPlay and it would be perfect
I have been in contact with the developers directly (bypassing Andream, Carlinkit, Bimmertech, Roadtop etc).

However due to language barriers and timezones progress / replies are very slow.

But hopefully we will get somewhere soon.
Appreciate 12
      08-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #4374
jaypayne05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have been in contact with the developers directly (bypassing Andream, Carlinkit, Bimmertech, Roadtop etc).

However due to language barriers and timezones progress / replies are very slow.

So I just notice this also. If I disable the scroll wheel feature in the mmi unit. All the calls coming in and out goes through the Idrive now automatically.Even if you are using CarPlay. The only issue is you can't answer incoming calls with CarPlay you have to use the phone button on the steering wheel to do that. Which is no issue really. You can use CarPlay or the steering wheel to place out going calls through the bmw idrive automatically also.
      08-24-2020, 04:47 PM   #4375
jaypayne05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That is really great. I can't wait till they have it just like the Oem system.
      08-24-2020, 06:09 PM   #4376
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

I just had what I believe to be an andream box installed and currently have the following software:

SDK Version: 25.0.0.5.6.0.0.0
CUST Version: v2.0.2.6.gpe.b
MCU Version: 19.12.12.21
HW Version: BMW

I've put the custom firmware v.2.B0.mod and MCU 20.06.02 custom on a FAT32 formatted flash drive and when I go to the software update where it asks if I want to update via USB, I click the check to start it, but the MMI just restarts itself. What could I be doing wrong?

I'm sure this has likely been asked somewhere in this thread, but 200 pages is a lot to go through... any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
      08-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #4377
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiBruin View Post
I just had what I believe to be an andream box installed and currently have the following software:

I've put the custom firmware v.2.B0.mod and MCU 20.06.02 custom on a FAT32 formatted flash drive and when I go to the software update where it asks if I want to update via USB, I click the check to start it, but the MMI just restarts itself. What could I be doing wrong?

I'm sure this has likely been asked somewhere in this thread, but 200 pages is a lot to go through... any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Update the mcu first.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #4378
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiBruin View Post

Update the mcu first.
The instructions say to update the software first. That won't mess anything up?