F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY
ARMA SPEED

12-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #1211
zsupreme
Knowledge Reigns Supreme
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Do we need to download the carplay app + purchase the carplay adapter to make this work? Is carplay superior to airplay? If I didn't purchase directly through avin, where can I download the app?

My unit arrives today and im trying to figure out if carplay is necessary if the units can already mirror phones?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #1212
Chadmoe1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacsniper View Post
im getting fairly close to buying this unit, is it recommended for the uses I want? Im just trying to update my non navi 6.5 screen to the bigger one and use the OEM side of the system and Apple carplay
I upgraded from a 6.5 inch non-nav system. The screen is nicer, which is the only advantage for me. The sound quality from the AVIN side is garbage, despite many attempts to play with the equalizer and download additional music players. I spent a considerable amount of money and time upgrading the speakers and amp, so this is a pretty big deal for me. I only play my music through the OEM side, which is not what I had hoped for when I purchased the AVIN system. Some other notes:

--As others have noted, from the 6.5 inch OEM screen, the new bigger AVIN screen will leave you with half of a "functional" screen with the other half showing gas tank volume and speed. Not really useful for me. There may be a way to reprogram the car's computer to fix it, but I haven't tried it yet.

--Navigation doesn't work well for me. It's slow and takes a long time to connect to the satellites.

--The remapping of the steering wheel voice command button to navigation is a huge disadvantage to me. I have yet to find a workaround.

--I can't get the CarPlay system to work. Since the AVIN unit runs on an older version of Android, I don't think any of the newer CarPlay software can be used. There is some lesser known app that can be used, but I haven't configured it yet (nor am I ready to jump on an app that has minimal usage or details).

--It is minor, but the flash card location is pain to deal with -- I have to use tweezers to get it out of the slot.

--Support is hit or miss. Some folks rave about the great support they receive or how responsive Tommy has been; for me, it takes a while to get any email response, and usually it is telling me to install the newest software update. I've asked multiple times for a refund or opportunity to purchase the Gen 2 system without any direct response.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #1213
fssaez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdy View Post
What is the average temperature in your area at this time of the year? I am just worried that during summertime where I live can get up to 110°F.
I live in Puerto Rico. It is 'winter' in the caribbean but still hits high temps inside at noon.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #1214
Pacsniper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fssaez View Post
I have the Gen2 unit and it hasnt crashed ever. That means that the new installed heatsinks fixed that crashing problem that people reported at the beginning.

my PROS:
1. The screen is huge and it is beautiful.
2. Navigation/traffic (Waze)
3. Streaming music (Spotify/Pandora).
4. I had to remove a lot of stuff that came with the unit: dvd, easyconnection (for apple car), etc. It made the unit a lot faster and responsive. Also changed the launcher to automate.

My CONS:
1. My bluetooth connection doesn't work.
2. The GPS antenna is really slow. It takes about ~5min to lock position and maybe even more. I ordered a garmin gps antenna from amazon with the adapter cables and we will see. I need to know if this is a hardware or software related problem.
3. The unit can't handle 3-4 apps at the same time. Be prepared to deal with some lag.
4. As stated yesterday you loose voice command from the steering wheel. It is now mapped to navigation.
5. MY split screen does nothing when in iDrive. It only shows my fuel tank in liters and my speed in km/h. Useless but who cares... Im only in iDrive when changing the radio.
6. There's a radio app in the unit but it does nothing for me. No clue what to configure.

The CONS list may be longer, but Im ok with it. Pretty sure some software related stuff will get fixed eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacsniper View Post
im getting fairly close to buying this unit, is it recommended for the uses I want? Im just trying to update my non navi 6.5 screen to the bigger one and use the OEM side of the system and Apple carplay
I upgraded from a 6.5 inch non-nav system. The screen is nicer, which is the only advantage for me. The sound quality from the AVIN side is garbage, despite many attempts to play with the equalizer and download additional music players. I spent a considerable amount of money and time upgrading the speakers and amp, so this is a pretty big deal for me. I only play my music through the OEM side, which is not what I had hoped for when I purchased the AVIN system. Some other notes:

--As others have noted, from the 6.5 inch OEM screen, the new bigger AVIN screen will leave you with half of a "functional" screen with the other half showing gas tank volume and speed. Not really useful for me. There may be a way to reprogram the car's computer to fix it, but I haven't tried it yet.

--Navigation doesn't work well for me. It's slow and takes a long time to connect to the satellites.

--The remapping of the steering wheel voice command button to navigation is a huge disadvantage to me. I have yet to find a workaround.

--I can't get the CarPlay system to work. Since the AVIN unit runs on an older version of Android, I don't think any of the newer CarPlay software can be used. There is some lesser known app that can be used, but I haven't configured it yet (nor am I ready to jump on an app that has minimal usage or details).

--It is minor, but the flash card location is pain to deal with -- I have to use tweezers to get it out of the slot.

--Support is hit or miss. Some folks rave about the great support they receive or how responsive Tommy has been; for me, it takes a while to get any email response, and usually it is telling me to install the newest software update. I've asked multiple times for a refund or opportunity to purchase the Gen 2 system without any direct response.

Okay I'm starting to see the Pros and Cons of it, I'm more than likely now going to wait to see if they release a model with 2GB of RAM and a fix to the Android Side audio (I would like to use Apple carplay) and navigation would also be with Apple carplay, but the android part of the navigation would be nice to have it working.
still no way to change the km/h to mph? I read about that issue awhile back. I cant believe it's still not resolved. Thank for the responses guys
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 08:23 AM   #1215
fssaez
Enlisted Member
Rep

The android car works and theres no need to buy extra adapters. The problem is that is loads in a slower resolution and what the unit is capable of. It looks as if the screen is limited to the old 6.5"
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #1216
JaroX
Poland
Rep
Drives: e71 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fssaez View Post
The android car works and theres no need to buy extra adapters. The problem is that is loads in a slower resolution and what the unit is capable of. It looks as if the screen is limited to the old 6.5"
That's right. screen is limited to the old 6.5"
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #1217
JaroX
Poland
Rep
Drives: e71 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreding View Post
Avin won't pair with a Bluetooth obd at all. Must use a wifi obd.
It does not satisfy me
Works only with the original OBD Interface Bluetooth.
Temporarily, I send the image from my phone via the easy Connection app
https://youtu.be/S7XrQA9FoWA
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 12:42 AM   #1218
Cn_flame
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Seriously looking into buying one of these to upgrade my oem 6.5" screen. But so many cons posted by other users, especially bad audio quality I will not accept. Hope they will address this issue in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #1219
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cn_flame View Post
Seriously looking into buying one of these to upgrade my oem 6.5" screen. But so many cons posted by other users, especially bad audio quality I will not accept. Hope they will address this issue in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cn_flame View Post
I am sure they will.. the most recent build appears to be a small step back for audio, but I am sure it will be addressed.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #1220
BMWF302015
Rep
Drives: F30 2015

I noticed that when i put the microsd card in the unit i get the "no signal" error .. i tried 16 and 32 GB FAT32 cards ... the unit works again when i remove the card and reboot ..
If the unit already turned on .. it can reads it but after u turn off the car and restart u get the same no signal error ..
Anyone has an idea how to fix ?
I put media files on microsd mp3 and mp4
It reads the files perfectly via usb with no issues

On other issue for those who had working voice command ... can someone tells me if by long press the voice button on steeringwheel the voice command would work again?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #1221
notsec
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

I am using currently the October 22 software. Which software is more stable? ID6 or ID5?I want to install it if there is no problem with ID6. Does anyone have a complaint about ID6?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #1222
a803sgo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M-SPORT (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF302015 View Post
Anyone has an idea how to fix?
No fix as yet, I asked Avin today, only way to stop it is to revert to the October release, the November one breaks it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsec View Post
I am using currently the October 22 software. Which software is more stable? ID6 or ID5?I want to install it if there is no problem with ID6. Does anyone have a complaint about ID6?
Stick with the October release, more stable.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 03:57 PM   #1223
notsec
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by a803sgo View Post
No fix as yet, I asked Avin today, only way to stop it is to revert to the October release, the November one breaks it.

Stick with the October release, more stable.
Ok, thank you for your answer!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 05:13 PM   #1224
BMWF302015
Rep
Drives: F30 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by a803sgo View Post
but I'm already on October release .. Weird !!!!

Anyone has this issue of "No Signal" when u insert the microsd card before starting the car ... it works fine after you remove the sd card ... is it related to file format or something ?

and Merry Christmas everybody

thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 12:55 AM   #1225
Byhro.mu
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 LCI 135

Launcher Notification.

Did anyone experience random graphic glitch of the launcher notification bar?

Most of the time, the notification bar without the graphic home UI is displayed.Any clue how it might be fixed?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 04:55 AM   #1226
Adamantio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 420d G.C Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byhro.mu View Post
Did anyone experience random graphic glitch of the launcher notification bar?

Most of the time, the notification bar without the graphic home UI is displayed.Any clue how it might be fixed?
I've also tried that happens randomly, every time you start the engine
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 05:14 AM   #1227
Shouma
Enlisted Member
Egypt
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

I just received my unit and I will be installing it in the coming couple of days. However, I noticed that almost everyone here highlighted the GPS lag issue and mainly I got this unit for navigation as I didnt have the OEM one. So I need your recommendation where to install the gps antenna if by any chance its working OK with you. Also what if I mirrored my android to navigate on the screen? Any better?

Is there any better gps antennas out there that any of you have tried better than the one that comes with it?

Last question, is there any way to play my ipod on the original idrive and play the android music than using the aux splitter? The aux splitter produces mono sound and it really sucks. I believe I always have to switch manually between the two AUXs (Ipod and the android) but trying to know if anyone has a workaround for this issue.

Thanks guys for your advices.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 06:01 AM   #1228
Bozzern
Rep
Drives: BMW 316D F30 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouma View Post
I just received my unit and I will be installing it in the coming couple of days. However, I noticed that almost everyone here highlighted the GPS lag issue and mainly I got this unit for navigation as I didnt have the OEM one. So I need your recommendation where to install the gps antenna if by any chance its working OK with you. Also what if I mirrored my android to navigate on the screen? Any better?

Is there any better gps antennas out there that any of you have tried better than the one that comes with it?

Last question, is there any way to play my ipod on the original idrive and play the android music than using the aux splitter? The aux splitter produces mono sound and it really sucks. I believe I always have to switch manually between the two AUXs (Ipod and the android) but trying to know if anyone has a workaround for this issue.

Thanks guys for your advices.

There is no problem with the navigation system or the antenna that comes with the unit.

The problem is that people install the antenna under the dashboard.

Why do peope think the original gps antenna is installed on the roof of the car?

Just use addhesive and install the antenna on the top corner of the dash right under the windshield.
You will have no problem whatsoever with the signal then, and the navigation will work flawlessly
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 07:01 AM   #1229
fssaez
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzern View Post
There is no problem with the navigation system or the antenna that comes with the unit.

Why do peope think the original gps antenna is installed on the roof of the car?

Just use addhesive and install the antenna on the top corner of the dash right under the windshield.
You will have no problem whatsoever with the signal then, and the navigation will work flawlessly
I had it in my dashboard and it didnt work better than under. It actually took the same time (~3min).

i just rolledback to the oct-22 version and it only took about 60secs this time. I will be monitoring from now on and will eventually move it to dashboard once again if it improves a little bit more.

edit: The problem is only when starting the gps. Once it locks position it does work perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 07:05 AM   #1230
fssaez
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouma View Post
Also what if I mirrored my android to navigate on the screen? Any better?
Looks like s@%*. It will look like a 6" screen.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #1231
Bmwnisse
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F10 530d 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzern View Post

I took my antenna and put it on the roof but it did not work anyway when it did not work once. I have generation one of the screen.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #1232
raja83520
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i BMW

Hi I have installed this one. The Sound is very bad. The same audio/Video file if i copy the song to car memory and play it sounds excellent, but if i play the same with Avin, its very very bad. Is there any way i can get the similar sound.
Appreciate 0