F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Do I need to upgrade both charge pipes?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #1
powerdbygarrett
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 F83

Do I need to upgrade both charge pipes?

I am about to place an order for an ER Charge pipe along with the DP since it is so prone to breaking with the jb4.

What about the turbo to intercooler charge pipes? Should I get those out of the way as well or they are not that prone to breaking?

BMS intake is installed
jb4 sitting on my desk
Downpipe in cart
Charge pipe in cart
Turbo to intercooler charge pipe?

I want to do everything in one shot, close the hood, and forget about it for the next three years.

At the same time I still want to take advantage of the free maintenance and not loose my warranty?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdbygarrett View Post
I am about to place an order for an ER Charge pipe along with the DP since it is so prone to breaking with the jb4.

What about the turbo to intercooler charge pipes? Should I get those out of the way as well or they are not that prone to breaking?

BMS intake is installed
jb4 sitting on my desk
Downpipe in cart
Charge pipe in cart

I want to do everything in one shot, close the hood, and forget about it for the next three years.

At the same time I still want to take advantage of the free maintenance and not loose my warranty?

TIA
Wouldn't worry about TIC unless you're going to upgrade the Turbo and/or FMIC (Intercooler)

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 11:50 PM   #3
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz
Quote:

BMS intake is installed
jb4 sitting on my desk
Downpipe in cart
Charge pipe in cart

TIA
Wouldn't worry about TIC unless you're going to upgrade the Turbo and/or FMIC (Intercooler)

Agreed the TIC is the least important upgrade in your charge air system. The throttle body side pipe should be upgraded first because it uses a weak plastic flange. The intercooler should be next and finally TIC if you'd like to have a complete metal charge air system.

The TIC isn't very prone to breaking but it's a super flexible rubber hose. So the aluminum pipe will provide marginal throttle response gains but the intercooler upgrade can provide better protection from heatsoak and more performance gains than doing your TIC.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

BMS intake is installed
jb4 sitting on my desk
Downpipe in cart
Charge pipe in cart

TIA
Skip the TIC, use the money to get an intercooler

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:

BMS intake is installed
jb4 sitting on my desk
Downpipe in cart
Charge pipe in cart

TIA
Are you going to be able to leave all that stuff on there for your free scheduled maintenance and not get any push back? The JB4 and a d/p might raise some eyebrows depending on your relationship with your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 11:52 PM   #6
powerdbygarrett
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post

Ordered an intercooler as well along with the TIC.

As far as upgrading the turbo, I would, I have built turbo cars in the past. I just cant justify (yet) spending $2500 on a pure stage two, specially since I can not keep my oem turbo without being charged the $1000 core charge.

I have built entire turbo set ups for less than $2500 using quality parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
Agreed the TIC is the least important upgrade in your charge air system. The throttle body side pipe should be upgraded first because it uses a weak plastic flange. The intercooler should be next and finally TIC if you'd like to have a complete metal charge air system.

The TIC isn't very prone to breaking but it's a super flexible rubber hose. So the aluminum pipe will provide marginal throttle response gains but the intercooler upgrade can provide better protection from heatsoak and more performance gains than doing your TIC.
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Skip the TIC, use the money to get an intercooler
LOL! Should have told me that when I was placing the order with you today. Kidding. I am glad I got both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
Are you going to be able to leave all that stuff on there for your free scheduled maintenance and not get any push back? The JB4 and a d/p might raise some eyebrows depending on your relationship with your dealer.
ATM I am in the clear with that. Have a great relationship with a service manager at a semi-local dealer. He is a fellow BMW enthusiast. A good amount of my friends have used him several times for maintenance and warranty without removing anything. Hopefully that does not change.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 12:17 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

[QUOTE=powerdbygarrett;18955164]

LOL! Should have told me that when I was placing the order with you today. Kidding. I am glad I got both! /QUOTE]

LOL
Keep in mind my advice was based on the fact that you did not have an intercooler and were looking for your next mod. Since you are getting both, you are set

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

The Turbo to Intercooler Charge Pipe (TIC) is a great idea when changing the FMIC

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 01:31 AM   #9
sonicsonic
Private First Class
Russia
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive 6MT 370whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The Turbo to Intercooler Charge Pipe (TIC) is a great idea when changing the FMIC

Mike
+1

We made 435ix stage2 flash tune (~420bhp) with downpipe and ER fmic installed and during third launch control chargepipes were broken! )

We ordered ER chargepipes including turbo to intercooler (of course ordered from n54tuning.com)

After installation we'll test the car and then I'll post the results
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 05:13 AM   #10
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicsonic View Post
+1

We made 435ix stage2 flash tune (~420bhp) with downpipe and ER fmic installed and during third launch control chargepipes were broken! )

We ordered ER chargepipes including turbo to intercooler (of course ordered from n54tuning.com)

Looking forward to your results...

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 07:55 AM   #11
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicsonic View Post
+1

Can't wait to see the results!

Mike
Appreciate 0