F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Squeaky noise coming from dashboard..
Extreme Powerhouse

03-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #89
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
WTF?? After 20k it's STILL under warranty? My SA has been good to me, taking it back in...it's unacceptable for such an $$ car to have these minor issues/noises.
Well, maybe it's different in Canada, but basically you have 1 year /20k km for rattles. After that, the dealer has to get exceptions for BMW to cover it under warranty. Truth be told, if I push it, I'm sure they would cover. The problem is I'm tired... Tired of taking it in, waiting for a loaner slot, going for the test drives with the tech. it's been 4 times already.

I'm gonna see what I can do with some foam tape once it gets a bit warmer here.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #90
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
Well, maybe it's different in Canada, but basically you have 1 year /20k km for rattles. After that, the dealer has to get exceptions for BMW to cover it under warranty. Truth be told, if I push it, I'm sure they would cover. The problem is I'm tired... Tired of taking it in, waiting for a loaner slot, going for the test drives with the tech. it's been 4 times already.

I'm gonna see what I can do with some foam tape once it gets a bit warmer here.
Oh wow, I had no idea they limit rattles and squeaks.

Yeah I'm tired too. Poor tech is tired. I video taped again this morning, noise is def coming from where the windshield meets the speaker/vent area...might be the heater blower someone mentioned above.

I think the tech's also probably annoyed because they ordered me a new ($2500) Nav unit, but they've been patient and kind. I'm taking it in again tomorrow for that, hope that it'll be the last time...

I agree, foam tape all over the joints inside the dash will do it...hopefully. I also wonder if my M Perf Suspension is exacerbating everything???

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #91
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Oh wow, I had no idea they limit rattles and squeaks.

Yeah I'm tired too. Poor tech is tired. I video taped again this morning, noise is def coming from where the windshield meets the speaker/vent area...might be the heater blower someone mentioned above.

I think the tech's also probably annoyed because they ordered me a new ($2500) Nav unit, but they've been patient and kind. I'm taking it in again tomorrow for that, hope that it'll be the last time...

I agree, foam tape all over the joints inside the dash will do it...hopefully. I also wonder if my M Perf Suspension is exacerbating everything???

So, just an update: I left it with them for an entire week while I was on vacation. I told them to put as many clicks on the car as needed to find the issue. I told them that it seems to happen when the car/weather is warmer. I told them the general area.

A week later after my vacation: I see "could not recreate issues" on the order sheet.

I'm so seriously done right about now. The car makes more noises than my wife's Honda CR-V and it drives me nuts. I just can't keep spending my days at the dealer trying to convince them. They are a lot less willing to help now that it's over 20k km. They seem reluctant to go on *more* test drives.

I even called BMW Canada to complain, and they shrugged their shoulders.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #92
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, just an update: I left it with them for an entire week while I was on vacation. I told them to put as many clicks on the car as needed to find the issue. I told them that it seems to happen when the car/weather is warmer. I told them the general area.

A week later after my vacation: I see "could not recreate issues" on the order sheet.

I'm so seriously done right about now. The car makes more noises than my wife's Honda CR-V and it drives me nuts. I just can't keep spending my days at the dealer trying to convince them. They are a lot less willing to help now that it's over 20k km. They seem reluctant to go on *more* test drives.

That's just absurd. They kept mine for a week and couldn't recreate either, but they only put about 20 miles on the odo.

It's very weather specific which is why I'm convinced it's the metal speaker screen on the center of the dash.....I'm going to have them tackle that area next time I take it in.
If it's not that, it's some plastic on plastic rubbing that might be occurring at the front of the dash.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #93
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That's just absurd. They kept mine for a week and couldn't recreate either, but they only put about 20 miles on the odo.

It's very weather specific which is why I'm convinced it's the metal speaker screen on the center of the dash.....I'm going to have them tackle that area next time I take it in.
If it's not that, it's some plastic on plastic rubbing that might be occurring at the front of the dash.
Sounds exactly the same as mine..

I got pissed off driving today, and drove by the dealership. Grabbed the sales dude, and said "come with me"... He heard the sounds... They are booking me in again for the 25th of April (when they have a loaner car available). Fingers crossed, as I have no more energy for this.

On top of that, it seems when I crank my heater fan up full blasts it's making a strange sound. Like the fan is hitting something (baseball card-in-bicycle-spokes sound). Is it related? dunno.....
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #94
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds exactly the same as mine..

I got pissed off driving today, and drove by the dealership. Grabbed the sales dude, and said "come with me"... He heard the sounds... They are booking me in again for the 25th of April (when they have a loaner car available). Fingers crossed, as I have no more energy for this.

On top of that, it seems when I crank my heater fan up full blasts it's making a strange sound. Like the fan is hitting something (baseball card-in-bicycle-spokes sound). Is it related? dunno.....
I think it might be blower fan related too..apparently the master tech that was driving with me said some generation of the X5 had a weird squeaky blower that would make noises at certain angles...and apparently padding it and/or replacing helped.

I'm taking her in on the 24th...for a PPK install+this, so let's swap notes and hope it gets addressed...it's either the HVAC or the Speaker, those are the only parts left there to rub against each other.

I just video tape and send to my SA since Murphy's law PREVENTS the noise from happening when I'm at the dealer...

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #95
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Mine was doing this also with the AC on, and the dealer ended up replacing the blower motor.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #96
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

VICTORY!
I think I found the origin of the squeak...it's coming from the change holder in front of the cup holders, I just happened to put a Squash Rubber Ball (no joke) in there and for the past few days the squeaking has stopped...

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #97
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
VICTORY!
I think I found the origin of the squeak...it's coming from the change holder in front of the cup holders, I just happened to put a Squash Rubber Ball (no joke) in there and for the past few days the squeaking has stopped...

Glad you figured it out!
      04-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #98
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post

Glad you figured it out!
I lied....it's back. LOL. This is comical...

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #99
gnosis8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335i

Garage List
Gonna have the d-ship try a 2nd time to fix my noise when it's due for its first oil change in about 6 months. I don't want to be hassled for this issue again. My noise is coming from the iDrive screen mount area.

If I have to suffer, then you should too. Here is the noise for your listening pleasure:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ok9sgqkvsg...oice%20002.m4a
      04-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #100
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnosis8 View Post
Gonna have the d-ship try a 2nd time to fix my noise when it's due for its first oil change in about 6 months. I don't want to be hassled for this issue again. My noise is coming from the iDrive screen mount area.

If I have to suffer, then you should too. Here is the noise for your listening pleasure:
Oh man that's pretty bad. I thought I had some rattles but not nearly that loud or annoying.... Hope you fix it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #101
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So that's nothing like mine at all...
What you have could be 2 things:
1. The back of the NAV is loose, and the whole unit is vibrating on acceleration causing that obnoxious noise = solution is to replace Nav (they did that for me).
2. The HVAC blower motor is rubbing the fans when accelerating or driving, and they will have to replace the entire motor (I'm making them do that for me this week).

I have no other solutions for you...

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #102
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:

WTF... mine's not like that.. that's messed-up.. Mine's more of a ticking like rattle.. I'll post a video I took..

Shiv: Any updates?

I just dropped mine off at the dealer. I authorized them to put as many KM on it as they need to figure this f'in thing out..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #103
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
WTF... mine's not like that.. that's messed-up.. Mine's more of a ticking like rattle.. I'll post a video I took..

Shiv: Any updates?

I just dropped mine off at the dealer. I authorized them to put as many KM on it as they need to figure this f'in thing out..
I isolated it to the HVAC blower motor (apparently an issue in past models).
I was tired of waiting for the diagnosis, so I made them order the new motor, it's being replaced as we speak...will update tonight (hopefully).

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #104
gnosis8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I got the day off tomorrow and the dealership can work on it while I wait, so hopefully they'll fix it and I won't have the noise anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #105
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I isolated it to the HVAC blower motor (apparently an issue in past models).
I was tired of waiting for the diagnosis, so I made them order the new motor, it's being replaced as we speak...will update tonight (hopefully).
Cool.. hopefully it's the same with mine.... I'll probably pick it up Monday.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #106
F30.M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

I feel your pain, my 335i has so many problems too. The steering makes a clunk at a certain angle, along with rattling coming from the sunroof cover and elsewhere. There's also the rust on the seat frame

For the steering, they put some grease in the column and though it was ok. It took me 3 visits before they decided to replace the steering column

For the rattling, I drove around with the tech and he said he heard the noise. Left the car with them for few days and then they told me they can't reproduce the rattle anymore, but clearly, it was still there after I picked up the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #107
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30.M View Post
I feel your pain, my 335i has so many problems too. The steering makes a clunk at a certain angle, along with rattling coming from the sunroof cover and elsewhere. There's also the rust on the seat frame

For the steering, they put some grease in the column and though it was ok. It took me 3 visits before they decided to replace the steering column

For the rattling, I drove around with the tech and he said he heard the noise. Left the car with them for few days and then they told me they can't reproduce the rattle anymore, but clearly, it was still there after I picked up the car.
Are you in the GTA? What dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 03:19 AM   #108
henryeeex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:

I have the same exact noise. although not as loud and it comes and goes! Keep me posted on your dealer's solutions.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #109
F30.M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30.M View Post

Are you in the GTA? What dealer?
PM you
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #110
gnosis8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryX View Post
I have the same exact noise. although not as loud and it comes and goes! Keep me posted on your dealer's solutions.
It's usually not that loud for me and it's not always there either. The dealership test drove, confirmed the noise, added foam tape to the inside dash around the Idrive mount and back of central air vents. I only drove 15 minutes today but so far so good. Will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0