F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > What If ....... 420i Boot Lock
Extreme Powerhouse

11-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #1
Beachbumdave
Rep
Drives: 420i msport

What If ....... 420i Boot Lock

Greetings to one and all.

I own a 2016 420i msport coupe.

My question being ... how would I be able to access the boot if the switch in the boot lid or the lock mechanism itself fails?

My handbook states there is an emergency release handle/cable in the boot lid.
1) There is an elongated cutout on the inside of the boot lining - but no handle
or cable.
2) Even if the cable was present, to gain access would entail lowering the rear
seats - but the release handles for the rear seats ...... are in the boot!!!

I have not had any response from the selling dealer and when I spoke to technical department at BMW UK I was told they could not help and to contact the dealer - it’s a vicious circle.

I am hoping someone can shed some light should I or anyone else ever encounter this issue - with my luck I probably will.

Many thanks.

Last edited by Beachbumdave; 11-22-2018 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 07:35 AM   #2
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

Tin opener?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 07:38 AM   #3
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbumdave View Post

My question being ... how would I be able to access the boot if the switch in the boot lid or the lock mechanism itself fails?

1) There is an elongated cutout on the inside of the boot lining - but no handle
or cable.

I have not had any response from the selling dealer and when I spoke to technical department at BMW UK I was told they could not help and to contact the dealer - it’s a vicious circle.

I am hoping someone can shed some light should I or anyone else ever encounter this issue - with my luck I probably will.

Many thanks.
Quote:

or cable.

I have not had any response from the selling dealer and when I spoke to technical department at BMW UK I was told they could not help and to contact the dealer - it's a vicious circle.

Many thanks.
Does your center seat fold down?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Isn't the emergency release inside the boot only there in case of any mafia related high jinks?

If the boot lock failed, I'd take the car to a dealer/any garage. It seems an unlikely failure though?

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2018, 09:02 AM   #5
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Cant you use the key ? I cant even remember if there is a key lock on the bootlid

I seem to remember on older BMWs that the boot would be stiff to open if the motor failed but didnt prevent it opening
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
Beachbumdave
Rep

Thank you for your replies - both the humorous and sensible

I don’t want to damage the paintwork

The car has split rear seats and a rear armrest it doesn’t have a middle seat.

I haven’t had any response from the dealership but I thought someone on this forum may have the the answer. The car is still under warranty but for a minor (or now not so minor ) issue I like to resolve myself.

Earlier models - I do not know what specific models - did have a manual lock / key which was by the number plate lights, this has been omitted.

Many thanks for your time.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2018, 09:56 AM   #7
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F36

On my wife's F20 we got a strap from our sons bag stuck in the locking mechanism, preventing it from being opened from the outside. On the F20 you can fold the seats from the inside. I tried and failed in getting it dislodged and ended up taking it to the dealer. They managed somehow to get it free.
I did ask what if the same happened on the F30 where the handle to fold the rear seats is in the boot. The answer was to cut the boot lid and replace it!!
I now always triple check nothing is in the way before I close the boot ...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 10:58 AM   #8
Beachbumdave
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jespers View Post
I did ask what if the same happened on the F30 where the handle to fold the rear seats is in the boot. The answer was to cut the boot lid and replace it!!
I now always triple check nothing is in the way before I close the boot ...
This is exactly the situation that I find totally unacceptable.

You can check to ensure that the locking mechanism is free of any foreign object prior to closing the boot. But this still doesn’t guarantee the boot will open!!

The fundamental operation of the mechanical and electrical components of the locking mechanism means at some stage there will be a failure. Nothing lasts forever and to be forced into a situation where you may have to spend £££££s for a new boot lid, painting, new lock and labour to rectify a basic design fault by BMW is absolutely ridiculous

This also indicates that the owners handbook is giving completely incorrect information!!

There must be an alternative or I will contact BMW in Munich!

Any other advice, experiences or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #9
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

I'm not sure it's a design fault, isn't it a security feature that scrotey mcscrote can't lob a brick through the window and find a way to open your boot?

I know what you are saying, a huge pain if it fails or gets jammed. But the reality must be that such occurrences are pretty rare? If dealers were regularly having to take an oxy-acetylene torch to bootlids, wouldn't we have heard more about this?

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
I'm not sure it's a design fault, isn't it a security feature that scrotey mcscrote can't lob a brick through the window and find a way to open your boot?

I know what you are saying, a huge pain if it fails or gets jammed. But the reality must be that such occurrences are pretty rare? If dealers were regularly having to take an oxy-acetylene torch to bootlids, wouldn't we have heard more about this?
If it was a security feature, how come the F20, F31, F36 and I'm sure others can be opened from the cabin?

I see it more as an accidental consequence of the design.

In our case activating the boot opening mechanism did engage the lock mechanism, just the lock was physically jammed due to the strap of the bag. The only way to open it was physical access, a key lock would not have made a difference
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #11
Beachbumdave
Rep

Quote:

If a toe rag breaks your window it’s to “borrow” what you have inadvertently left on display on the seats, Iphone, IPad, MacBook Pro etc - and no I do not work for Apple and this is not an advertisement.

They wouldn’t normally have the grey matter to find a release mechanism for the boot that holds your family heir looms and gold bullion.

Even I know that oxy-acetylene would damage the paintwork work let alone giving the LFB additional work!

The fact this issue hasn’t arisen as yet - the F32 is still a young car - but it will happen and brute force and ignorance is not the solution.

Why not have an emergency cable run from the door pillar - the toe rag would have to break the window, open the door, find the boot release cable and open the boot - that would make him/her Einstein.....

Do the manufacturers publicise all of their faults, I do not think so.....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #12
Beachbumdave
Rep

Quote:
If it was a security feature, how come the F20, F31, F36 and I'm sure others can be opened from the cabin?

The only way to open it was physical access, a key lock would not have made a difference
Thank you for an excellent reply.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 02:20 PM   #13
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

In our case activating the boot opening mechanism did engage the lock mechanism, just the lock was physically jammed due to the strap of the bag. The only way to open it was physical access, a key lock would not have made a difference
I appreciate that you have been through the inconvenience.

To me, it seems that there are a lot of things that could go wrong on a modern car. When they do, they cause inconvenience.

I'm missing what is unusual about the boot lacking a workaround, I lived with a E90 without folding seats for a long time. I guess I was lucky that the boot didn't jam. Although not electric, your situation appears equally applicable there.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 02:26 PM   #14
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If a toe rag breaks your window it's to "borrow" what you have inadvertently left on display on the seats, Iphone, IPad, MacBook Pro etc - and no I do not work for Apple and this is not an advertisement.

They wouldn't normally have the grey matter to find a release mechanism for the boot that holds your family heir looms and gold bullion.

Even I know that oxy-acetylene would damage the paintwork work let alone giving the LFB additional work!

The fact this issue hasn't arisen as yet - the F32 is still a young car - but it will happen and brute force and ignorance is not the solution.

Why not have an emergency cable run from the door pillar - the toe rag would have to break the window, open the door, find the boot release cable and open the boot - that would make him/her Einstein.....

Do the manufacturers publicise all of their faults, I do not think so.....
Oxyacetylene was mentioned by me as the other poster said BMW would cut the boot lid if needed. Clearly cutting involves damage.

I was just trying to offer an opinion on your question - mine being that maybe it's not something worth worrying about and raising to bmw head office. And that the emergency release in the boot genuinely is there for another purpose. Apologies if that's not what you were looking for in starting the thread

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #15
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

NB. I did think about why my F36 has the folding seat controls inside the cabin. I decided it would be pointless to do otherwise in a hatch with a flimsy cover between cabin and boot. Same goes for the F20 (that's a 1-series?) and F31.

The F30 is a saloon, hence fundamentally more secure. Saloons have always been seen as having a security advantage over hearses and hatches, and an accessible folding mechanism in the cabin defeats that. I wonder how the G20 is configured?

That's just my opinion or guess

Appreciate 0