F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > smelling coolant after long drive
Extreme Powerhouse

01-27-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
smelling coolant after long drive

Car has 38000 on it 2015 335i msport .... jut got it a month ago and basically sitting in the garage... took it out a few times and after a long drive and I get out in the garage I can smell little bit coolant... No lights or visible anything on the ground... yes it's still under warranty but just wanted an opinion... Thanks in advance...

Last edited by FastF30; 01-27-2018 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #2
RG24
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
Car has 38000 on it 2015 335i msport .... jut got it a month ago and basically sitting in the garage... took it out a few times and after a long drive and I get out in the garage I can smell coolant... No lights or visible anything on the ground... yes it's still under warranty but just wanted an opinion... Thanks in advance...
I'm an experiencing a similar issue. 34,000 miles on my 2014 335i M-sport. I had my local indy shop check it out. They keep it a few days, ran a pressure test and found nothing. I smelled coolant once again on my way home. Strange thing is coolant level is not low. No lights and I haven't had to add any coolant. However, I have only driven about 300-400 miles since I first smelled it back in December.
Appreciate 1
FastF30521.00
      01-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #3
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Now that you mention it, this happens to me as well after long spirited drives. I never really thought anything of it, thought it was normal.
Appreciate 1
FastF30521.00
      01-27-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG24 View Post
I'm an experiencing a similar issue. 34,000 miles on my 2014 335i M-sport. I had my local indy shop check it out. They keep it a few days, ran a pressure test and found nothing. I smelled coolant once again on my way home. Strange thing is coolant level is not low. No lights and I haven't had to add any coolant. However, I have only driven about 300-400 miles since I first smelled it back in December.
Thanks for the reply... only thing I found is to check the Oil Filter Gasket Housing ... but that was on an older series... I'll be taking it in in a couple of weeks to get CP, FMIC installed at the dealer (so it's still warranted) plus get a new set of plugs to minimize potential miss fires... So I'll guess I'll put this on the list also just to make sure... just was wondering if this was common or what.... Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
RG24
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbread View Post
Now that you mention it, this happens to me as well after long spirited drives. I never really thought anything of it, thought it was normal.
I don't see how it would be normal at all. My car didn't have the coolant smell for three years and just started in December. I am still concerned and holding off on moving forward with MHD until I get it resolved. My warranty expires in September. Hopefully, it is nothing serious.

Any input from others is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
Thanks for the reply... only thing I found is to check the Oil Filter Gasket Housing ... but that was on an older series... I'll be taking it in in a couple of weeks to get CP, FMIC installed at the dealer (so it's still warranted) plus get a new set of plugs to minimize potential miss fires... So I'll guess I'll put this on the list also just to make sure... just was wondering if this was common or what.... Thanks again!
Do you smell coolant at the oil filter housing? There is a coolant channel through the housing that potentially could be leaking out the bottom side of the front gasket. If so, the gasket replacement DIY is pretty simple 30 min job. Since you are still under warranty, definitely have the dealer address it.

If not there, have you pulled and checked the belly pan? That shield, while it keeps the bottom of the engine bay clean from road debris. mud, etc, it does hide small leaks until they get big enough to pool and spill out.
Appreciate 0