F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Ceramic Pro interior leather protection
GetBMWParts

02-20-2021, 08:45 AM   #1
aleki75
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xDrive, 2016 335i GT

Ceramic Pro interior leather protection

Hello all. What is the best way to check if ceramic coating had been applied to the interior leather of the vehicle? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 08:54 AM   #2
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleki75 View Post
Hello all. What is the best way to check if ceramic coating had been applied to the interior leather of the vehicle? Thanks
Depends on which one but uv light. There are only so many interior coating.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I can't say, but ceramic is the last thing I'd apply to leather, as it would dry it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 09:14 AM   #4
aleki75
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSF3014 View Post
Quote:
Ceramic Pro. It is supposed to protect the leather from UV light among other things. How do you check if its applied with UV light?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 09:58 AM   #5
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSF3014 View Post
Quote:
Ceramic Pro. It is supposed to protect the leather from UV light among other things. How do you check if its applied with UV light?
Black light I meant sorry.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 10:41 AM   #6
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Perhaps you could check it with water from an eyedropper to see if the area is hydrophobic.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 07:24 PM   #7
aleki75
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Perhaps you could check it with water from an eyedropper to see if the area is hydrophobic.
I just did that, and water just ran off the seat surface. Thanks for the pointer!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 05:12 AM   #8
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

The area can easily by hydrophobic for a number of reasons.... there are so many leather-care products.

Never heard of "Ceramic Pro" coating for leather, by the way.
      03-11-2021, 07:54 AM   #9
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I can't say, but ceramic is the last thing I'd apply to leather, as it would dry it out.
Not to mention any real amount of ceramic in the product would cause the surface to harden and become stiff. When I ceramic coat my vehicles I have to toss the applicator cloths and often the buffing towels because they will harden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
The area can easily by hydrophobic for a number of reasons.... there are so many leather-care products.
Agree. I think even the vinyl layer used to seal the leather on it's own might bead water.

The only time I've heard of a water bead being used as a test is when trying to figure out whether the leather is open pore/analine (?). If you put a small drop of water on that type of leather it will absorb right away rather than running off. On Ford's King Ranch trucks you have to be VERY careful when doing this because you run the potential of the water drop staining the leather.

Last edited by Desertnate; 04-22-2021 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 08:27 AM   #10
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Agree. I think even the vinyl layer used to seal the leather on it's own might bead water.
Even that is conditional, as, to the best of my knowledge, it is only the Dakota leather which has a vinyl layer (another reason why it is so hard and coarse). The Merino leather is vinyl-free... (I believe to have read).
      03-11-2021, 08:49 AM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I'm not convinced that ceramic or quartz, another buzz word, is appropriate in a leather treatment. There's more than a few out there, but curiously they don't list the actual ingredients. I get the feeling that the only presence of ceramic or quartz is in the product name, and price.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:36 AM   #12
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Exactly. "Ceramic" is the automotive hyaluronic acid - it's primarily marketing...
Suspect the product in question has absolutely nothing to do with "ceramic" (which in turn is not a clearly defined term even for paint coatings)
      03-11-2021, 12:15 PM   #13
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not convinced that ceramic or quartz, another buzz word, is appropriate in a leather treatment. There's more than a few out there, but curiously they don't list the actual ingredients. I get the feeling that the only presence of ceramic or quartz is in the product name, and price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Exactly. "Ceramic" is the automotive hyaluronic acid - it's primarily marketing...
Suspect the product in question has absolutely nothing to do with "ceramic" (which in turn is not a clearly defined term even for paint coatings)
Ceramic is so 2020. Graphene is what all the kids are using today.

Seriously, it's nuts right now. Funny part is there doesn't seem to be any indication it actually improves anything. A couple brands are slapping the name on entire product lines.
      03-11-2021, 12:42 PM   #14
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Just the opposite - watched a couple of tests where the performance of graphene was in best case mediocre....
But there may be quality products as well 🤷🏻*♂️
      03-11-2021, 12:54 PM   #15
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I was trying to be kind.

Honestly on those which have been panned for their performance, I wonder if the overall product was poor to begin with and the graphene hype simply lead to bigger dissapointment.

I've talked to a couple detailers who like the Adams Graphene Spray Coating. They say's it's a pretty good product for what it is: a spray product with slightly more durability than you average spray wax/sealant. I've heard a couple rave reviews of the new Turtle Wax Hybrid product too.
      03-12-2021, 07:09 AM   #16
aleki75
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
That is exactly what I did and water just ran off to the lowest point quickly. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 07:14 AM   #17
aleki75
Private
Rep

Quote:
I had Ceramic Pro Leather installed. Apparently helps with stains and also if you have a lighter seats minimizes the chance of transferring colour to the seats. I checked for hydrophobic properties (as suggested on one of the posts) and it works. Leather feels natural after application that is one of the reasons I initiated this post on how to check if product was applied. As for the other advantages of the product, time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 07:30 AM   #18
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

It may be hydrophobic, but so is beeswax. Is it any better than a hundred leather treatment products on the market that cost far less? I'll believe it when I see reputable third party testing.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 08:10 AM   #19
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Agree.

I'm not convinced any of the interior "coatings" are any better than any of the reputable interior protectants on the market.

Last year a detailing product vendor gave me a bottle of their interior coating to test and review. It applied nicely and looked good, but I couldn't tell the difference between it and any of the other products I've used which don't claim to be a "coating". The interior didn't stay cleaner, nor was it any easier to clean. It looks the same. I don't typically get my interior wet, so I don't know if there is any advantage there, and I don't plan on spraying water all over the inside just to find out. I'm pretty sure any of the oils included in a good protectant or leather treatment product would provide the same results.
      03-13-2021, 10:15 PM   #20
ECTO1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31

So just for my 2 cents I have run geyon leather shield for 2 years now. No complaints mind you it's only on the front seats does it last as long as other protectant remains to be seen. Now do I think it works yes but I don't see the length that they claim you get. Now could that be because the seats get used alot sure. I would say probably 6 month real world protection till it breaks down and needs a re coat. Once I'm done the bottle I'll will probably just go back to geyon leather coat half the price and seems to last long enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 02:14 AM   #21
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Hmmm....: