F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2020 Corvette Stingray
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #661
OkieSnuffBox
First Lieutenant
175
Rep
312
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Iím really not interested in the Z51. I drive spiritedly but not on a track. For me Z51 is just bragging rights. I will get 2LT, NPP, black wheels and red seat belts. I think thatís about $69,880. The non-Z51 has a higher top speed if you want to talk yourself out of spending an additional $5k. They took cues from Porsche in how they packaged or offered things ala cart. Not as badly as Porsche though.
This is an interesting post. On one hand you say, the Z51 package is "just bragging rights." Then go on to say, the non-Z51 has a higher top speed, as if that's not just bragging rights?

It's like an 8-9 mph difference and it comes down to aero and gearing.
Appreciate 2
N54Yankee1318.00
flgfish38.50

      08-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #662
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
Canada
6219
Rep
1,910
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Niagara on the Lake

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
This is an interesting post. On one hand you say, the Z51 package is "just bragging rights." Then go on to say, the non-Z51 has a higher top speed, as if that's not just bragging rights?

It's like an 8-9 mph difference and it comes down to aero and gearing.
It might be about bragging rights, I think it may also have something to do with making your car unique. A common view held about the C8 seems to be that given the performance vs price, ie bang for the buck there are going to be a lot of these things around. The downside I see to them is they will be somewhat common to see as opposed to the cars that they would compete with in performance.

When you think about the base model and it's specs/performance numbers compared to what was available only a few short years ago it's lightyears ahead of what we had available. The thing is in hypercar territory of a few years ago, and frankly well beyond what 99% of the population could possibly drive to the limit. I have a friend who has a very nicely kitted out C7, he has had the same driver training that I have had and he has said it's way more car than he can drive to the limit.

Interesting times really. Would I have one, maybe. I hope to get a look at one and maybe a test drive, but one of the things I love about my 993 is it's uniqueness. There are lots of cars that are way faster, but I could likely keep with them if pressed but that's just not my thing anymore. A bit of time on a twisty road is good for me.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt1255.00
eluded1574.50

      08-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #663
N54Yankee
Captain
N54Yankee's Avatar
United_States
1318
Rep
973
Posts

Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Z51 for the win at least until the other Z Vettes make their appearance but they’ll be much more expensive obviously.
__________________
__________________
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.Ē Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
Rmtt1255.00

      08-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #664
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
5135
Rep
4,834
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I'm really not interested in the Z51. I drive spiritedly but not on a track. For me Z51 is just bragging rights. The non-Z51 has a higher top speed if you want to talk yourself out of spending an additional $5k.
Higher speed or not, I'd much rather be in a Z51-equipped C8 anyplace above say, 120 MPH.
__________________
Appreciate 1
Rmtt1255.00

      08-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #665
Rmtt
Major
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
1255
Rep
1,221
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
It might be about bragging rights, I think it may also have something to do with making your car unique. A common view held about the C8 seems to be that given the performance vs price, ie bang for the buck there are going to be a lot of these things around. The downside I see to them is they will be somewhat common to see as opposed to the cars that they would compete with in performance.

When you think about the base model and it's specs/performance numbers compared to what was available only a few short years ago it's lightyears ahead of what we had available. The thing is in hypercar territory of a few years ago, and frankly well beyond what 99% of the population could possibly drive to the limit. I have a friend who has a very nicely kitted out C7, he has had the same driver training that I have had and he has said it's way more car than he can drive to the limit.

Interesting times really. Would I have one, maybe. I hope to get a look at one and maybe a test drive, but one of the things I love about my 993 is it's uniqueness. There are lots of cars that are way faster, but I could likely keep with them if pressed but that's just not my thing anymore. A bit of time on a twisty road is good for me.

My current C6 is more capable than what I can do with it . In fact, my old C6Z was way more car than I could handle stock, and it's only down slightly on power vs. The model I have now.

It will be interesting how the new C8 drives. Don't get me wrong, my current C6 gives me a sense if security when pushing the envelope, but they have always been known to bite you if you have all the "nannies" turned off.

That's one thing I like about my daily (128i)....its one car I can push to its limits, but we are talking 200+ less HP too. Nevertheless, it's a fun little car as I've always been a straight line racer, and this little car is expanding my horizons!
__________________
2011 128i: 3:73 Rear Diff, 3SI Intake, AA Headers, Magnaflow Catback, AFE Scoops, Turner Silicone Hose, Charcoal Delete, StageFP Stage 2 Tune, APEX ARC8, MILVS Coming!!

2008 Z51 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI - 461whp / 467wtq
Appreciate 2
      08-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #666
Bimmer Pleaser
Second Lieutenant
68
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: 18 C43
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Is it true that 2020 C8 is entirely sold out?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #667
alex2364
Lieutenant Colonel
alex2364's Avatar
United_States
900
Rep
1,516
Posts

Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Pleaser View Post
Is it true that 2020 C8 is entirely sold out?
No.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #668
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1447
Rep
2,286
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
This is an interesting post. On one hand you say, the Z51 package is "just bragging rights." Then go on to say, the non-Z51 has a higher top speed, as if that's not just bragging rights?

It's like an 8-9 mph difference and it comes down to aero and gearing.
I think you mistook what I said. I meant to say that if youíre worried about bragging rights, the non Z51 has a higher top speed. There will be people who also buy the Z51 just to say they have it. My car will never reach 194mph so its a moot point for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 06:56 PM   #669
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1447
Rep
2,286
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Higher speed or not, I'd much rather be in a Z51-equipped C8 anyplace above say, 120 MPH.
Like I said, Iíll never be on a track so Iíll never see the benefit. If youíre driving 120mph on the highway, I donít want to be around you.
Appreciate 2
SakhirM49306.00
clee1982401.00

      08-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #670
Kolyan2k
Major General
468
Rep
5,449
Posts

Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (1)

You don't need C8 Z51 to cruise at 120 lol, even my 1995 Maxima could do that just fine.
Appreciate 2
      08-19-2019, 07:53 AM   #671
N54Yankee
Captain
N54Yankee's Avatar
United_States
1318
Rep
973
Posts

Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Havenít seen this posted here. Some good info and specs and you can even preorder one for yourself if you like what you see.
https://www.chevycorvette.com/2020-Corvette-Stingray
__________________
__________________
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.Ē Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
Rmtt1255.00

      08-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #672
Bimmer Pleaser
Second Lieutenant
68
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: 18 C43
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Serious question: anyone seeing any possible effects on other mid-engine cars pricing? I mean, a similar optioned Porsche (911 GTS?) costs about twice C8. What would be the reason to buy a Porsche other than a status symbol?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #673
Darth One
drunk poster
Darth One's Avatar
United_States
2827
Rep
2,565
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

I doubt it, and honestly all the hysteria sounds kind of nuts. The C7 had world beating performance for its time, was priced around the same, had greatly improved quality, and Corvette fans loved it. Yet all the other marques went about their business and prospered.

It’s hilarious how every internet discussion about Porsches, BMW’s, McLarens (lol) and Supras (ok this last one should be worried) has some fun-guy-at-parties chime in with ‘why would i buy xxx when the C8 is coming’?

No question, people will defect to different brands depending on what they see and like. But the Corvette has had the same value proposition since its birth and it’s never significantly hurt a European brand’s sales, has it? Someone correct me with facts if i’m wrong.
Appreciate 1
clee1982401.00

      08-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #674
OkieSnuffBox
First Lieutenant
175
Rep
312
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I think you mistook what I said. I meant to say that if youíre worried about bragging rights, the non Z51 has a higher top speed. There will be people who also buy the Z51 just to say they have it. My car will never reach 194mph so its a moot point for me.
Gotcha. I've only ever gotten close to that speed on 2 wheels. On the rev-limited in 6th gear on my buddies 2006 R1 years ago.

I'd never do that these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Pleaser View Post
Serious question: anyone seeing any possible effects on other mid-engine cars pricing? I mean, a similar optioned Porsche (911 GTS?) costs about twice C8. What would be the reason to buy a Porsche other than a status symbol?
I'm not sure it will have an impact. A company like Porsche isn't going to magically change what profit margin they are willing to make on a 911 or Cayman just because the 'Vette went mid-engine.

But I could be completely wrong. Just guessing. I'm assuming people shopping a $70k (LT2 and Z51 for example) car aren't likely cross-shopping it with a $130k car.

Or if they are, it's not because of money.
Appreciate 1
clee1982401.00

      08-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #675
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
TXSTYLE's Avatar
United_States
4127
Rep
2,295
Posts

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The GYM! (The Burbs - N TX)

iTrader: (0)

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Pleaser View Post
Serious question: anyone seeing any possible effects on other mid-engine cars pricing? I mean, a similar optioned Porsche (911 GTS?) costs about twice C8. What would be the reason to buy a Porsche other than a status symbol?
Nope! Porsche has a diehard fanbase. No hate from me. But their $20k+ profit margin per car is not going away anytime soon.
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/QAMZNzQ.jpg
Appreciate 2
Rmtt1255.00
clee1982401.00

      08-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #676
N54Yankee
Captain
N54Yankee's Avatar
United_States
1318
Rep
973
Posts

Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

This car is vastly different and fresh compared to the previous Corvette generations and I see here on this site, other sites and talk to people I know and they say theyíre likely going to go with the revolutionary new Corvette. Being a brand new mid engine sports car with the winning racing history of Corvette is a too tempting for many real car folk. The buzz is huge after the debut and will result in many new first time Corvette owners and return customers, me included.

The fact that this will be the first Corvette available with right hand drive will open up markets that were hesitant to buy the previous car. They will sell very well and many to first time buyers who leave other marquee sports cars and go with the Bowtie.
__________________
__________________
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.Ē Samuel Adams
Appreciate 4
TXSTYLE4127.00
alex2364899.50
Rmtt1255.00

      08-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #677
Bimmer Pleaser
Second Lieutenant
68
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: 18 C43
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Gotcha. I've only ever gotten close to that speed on 2 wheels. On the rev-limited in 6th gear on my buddies 2006 R1 years ago.

I'd never do that these days.



I'm not sure it will have an impact. A company like Porsche isn't going to magically change what profit margin they are willing to make on a 911 or Cayman just because the 'Vette went mid-engine.

But I could be completely wrong. Just guessing. I'm assuming people shopping a $70k (LT2 and Z51 for example) car aren't likely cross-shopping it with a $130k car.

Or if they are, it's not because of money.
I admit I am mostly self-projecting. My last cars have been 4 BMW and one MB. Never owned an American car or cared about Chevy (OK admit it, I was/am blown away by ZL1 smoking through Nurburgring). But I just can't ignore C8. There has never been a mid-engine V8 under $150k, ever. And I have never seen so much hype for a car. Maybe Porsche doesn't get affected but Supra with its fake air vents looks like a complete joke compared to C8, even M2...
Appreciate 4
N54Yankee1318.00
glennQNYC5135.00
Rmtt1255.00

      08-20-2019, 01:20 AM   #678
JamesNoBrakes
Lieutenant Colonel
857
Rep
1,762
Posts

Drives: 428i xdrive GC
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Pleaser View Post
Serious question: anyone seeing any possible effects on other mid-engine cars pricing? I mean, a similar optioned Porsche (911 GTS?) costs about twice C8. What would be the reason to buy a Porsche other than a status symbol?
Part of that is the inherently higher amount of engineering and R&D that has to go into making an inferior chassis as fast or faster. It simply costs more to make a porsche to make it competative with a mid-engined car. You need more HP, more suspension tricks (active sways, rear wheel steering, etc.) and all sorts of other things that cost a lot of money. It's not a crap car by any stretch, but all of this extra $$$ is buying you that tiny golf-club space between the front seats and the rear axle. The more that companies like Chevrolet and others up their sports-car game, the harder it gets for someone like Porsche to make something faster each time around. Then there are the materials, but I would wager that's not the biggest cost by far and I'd also wager they are not running some crazy profit margin, probably decent, but again, you spend a lot in R&D to make a rear-engine design go as fast or faster.
__________________
Dinan Shockware, Dinan F3x Swaybars, ACS Springs
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 05:17 AM   #679
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
5310
Rep
13,179
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I doubt it, and honestly all the hysteria sounds kind of nuts. The C7 had world beating performance for its time, was priced around the same, had greatly improved quality, and Corvette fans loved it. Yet all the other marques went about their business and prospered.

Itís hilarious how every internet discussion about Porsches, BMWís, McLarens (lol) and Supras (ok this last one should be worried) has some fun-guy-at-parties chime in with Ďwhy would i buy xxx when the C8 is comingí?

No question, people will defect to different brands depending on what they see and like. But the Corvette has had the same value proposition since its birth and itís never significantly hurt a European brandís sales, has it? Someone correct me with facts if iím wrong.
I think the question is if the Corvette never existed, how many more Porsche 911 sales would there be? The 'Vette has always outsold the 911. Will the C8 radically change the sales picture? Probably not, but the Vette sells about 3 to 1 to the 911 on average.
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 1
clee1982401.00

      08-20-2019, 06:03 AM   #680
clee1982
Major
United_States
401
Rep
1,005
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Pleaser View Post
Serious question: anyone seeing any possible effects on other mid-engine cars pricing? I mean, a similar optioned Porsche (911 GTS?) costs about twice C8. What would be the reason to buy a Porsche other than a status symbol?
Nothing new? It has always been like that, one should go drive each then come back and decide
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 06:48 AM   #681
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
Canada
6219
Rep
1,910
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Niagara on the Lake

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Pleaser View Post
Serious question: anyone seeing any possible effects on other mid-engine cars pricing? I mean, a similar optioned Porsche (911 GTS?) costs about twice C8. What would be the reason to buy a Porsche other than a status symbol?
Really, lots of reasons. It's really about choices....if the Vette is so good, then why have any other sports cars?
Appreciate 1
SakhirM49306.00

      08-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #682
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Gold Chain Class
The HACK's Avatar
1457
Rep
5,173
Posts

Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2017 Corvette GS
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Pleaser View Post
Serious question: anyone seeing any possible effects on other mid-engine cars pricing? I mean, a similar optioned Porsche (911 GTS?) costs about twice C8. What would be the reason to buy a Porsche other than a status symbol?
Here's a more serious question.

The C7 Corvette already outperforms most Porsches and mid engine cars 2-5 times its cost. The C7 Grand Sport lapped Laguna Seca 2 full seconds faster than the new NSX, Ferrari F458 Italia, and all of Porsche's products except the RS line-up, and holds the record for the highest slalom test on M/T's instrumented tests. It can be had for $65K. You read that right. A car that beats ALL those cars costing 2-5 times MORE has been available since 2014...Is cheaper than a M2 Competition and laps most tracks seconds faster.

What would be the reason the C8 changes that perceived market besides it's got the engine in a different location? If Porsche sales didn't tank in 2014 and on, why would ANYONE assume it would because the C8 is out?

And in case anyone is interested, Corvette sales outpaced all Porsche non-SUV sales in North America. All by itself. GM sells more Corvettes, alone, than Porsche sells all of Boxster, Caymans, 911s, and Panameras combined.

The effect of C8 on Porsche sales will be at most a tiny ripple, IMO. People who are in the market to shop for a 911 will give the C8 a sniff, then buy the Porsche. Just like people who are in the market to buy a 911 have been, they probably looked at the C7 Corvette, and went ahead and bought a 911 anyway. Or they would have the 911 for the weekend and the Corvette as a daily beater if they're so inclined.
__________________
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19Ē monitor.
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST