F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N26 Blown Motor? With BM3 Stage 2?
proTUNING Freaks

02-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
Tisayan
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i BMW

N26 Blown Motor? With BM3 Stage 2?

Is stage 2 reliable with all the supporting mods? What are some of the things you can change to make it more reliable then it already is?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisayan View Post
Is stage 2 reliable with all the supporting mods? What are some of the things you can change to make it more reliable then it already is?
all mods is to support the performance gain from stage 2, not for engine reliability.

if you want your engine to be as reliable as they can, stay stock. All performance mods always come with a risk, as daily car is not designed to run like race car.

but in your case, maybe proper maintenance, and perform dataloging might help you to maintain the engine condition
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisayan View Post
Thousands are running bm3 on their N20/N26 without any issues. Its very reliable

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
CandyRedRC46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

To make a 328i n26 more reliable, while tuned, I would remove both cats, install highend intercooler/charge pipes, keep up with all maintenance and have a custom tune done. For the custom tune I would talk to the tuner about making a very conservative tune, limiting lowend torque/boost with a very smooth and progressive boost curve... With all that in place, I would be more concerned with the timing chain guides, than anything else.
Appreciate 5
rjd_F301999.50
Fr3sh29.50
      02-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #5
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Above post is good advice. The simple answer though, is yes, Stage 2 is reliable. You run an inherent increased failure risk by tuning the car, but if you take good care of it you shouldn't have much to worry about.
      02-23-2020, 01:59 AM   #6
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Above post is good advice. The simple answer though, is yes, Stage 2 is reliable. You run an inherent increased failure risk by tuning the car, but if you take good care of it you shouldn't have much to worry about.
I'm running stage 2 on my N26(328i) and have had no issues so far.

IG: @porky_m2c
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 09:27 PM   #7
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I've been running Stage 2 93 FBO for almost a year and half with no issues, some extra maintenance, like replacing my MAF and ignition coils took a dump earlier than expected but that comes with the extra stress on components. My logs look fine and she's running good. Florida summer is around the corner though so I'll likely drop to stage 1 or reduce boost. take the necessary precautions and keep maintenance up and you'll be good.

and P.S. I have a Pre-LCI '12. The ones people say blow up all time haha!
BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
@youtube.com/fastactionjax/
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:54 AM   #8
kahnfucious
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i - M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastActionJax View Post
I've been running Stage 2 93 FBO for almost a year and half with no issues, some extra maintenance, like replacing my MAF and ignition coils took a dump earlier than expected but that comes with the extra stress on components. My logs look fine and she's running good. Florida summer is around the corner though so I'll likely drop to stage 1 or reduce boost. take the necessary precautions and keep maintenance up and you'll be good.

How many miles is that?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 01:11 PM   #9
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnfucious View Post
Quote:

How many miles is that?
Roughly 18k

Car has 87k on odo now. I meticulously maintain though and I don't beat on her at all.

Also as mentioned I drop boost in the summer and I plan on replacing the timing chain this summer.
BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2020, 07:09 PM   #10
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428 F32

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How many miles is that?
Roughly 18k

Car has 87k on odo now. I meticulously maintain though and I don't beat on her at all.

Also as mentioned I drop boost in the summer and I plan on replacing the timing chain this summer.
How much do you expect to spend with labor included for the timing chain (assuming you're not doing on your own)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #11
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiolli View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How many miles is that?
Roughly 18k

How much do you expect to spend with labor included for the timing chain (assuming you're not doing on your own)
I'm still up in the air on it.

I'm capable of doing it myself but I'd have to buy the locking tool and it's a pretty hefty job. Buying the tool and finding the time and want to do it may never happen. I'm thinking I could get my local shop to do it for around 1500 bucks which is alot, but also isn't at the same time because the amount of work involved and the taking it off my hands. I own my car so it's much better option than getting something else either way but doing it myself on Jack stands would really suck lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 08:09 PM   #12
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How many miles is that?
Roughly 18k

I'm capable of doing it myself but I'd have to buy the locking tool and it's a pretty hefty job. Buying the tool and finding the time and want to do it may never happen. I'm thinking I could get my local shop to do it for around 1500 bucks which is alot, but also isn't at the same time because the amount of work involved and the taking it off my hands. I own my car so it's much better option than getting something else either way but doing it myself on Jack stands would really suck lol.
Isn't a used motor with installation roughly 4-5k? Might be a stupid comment but why not just risk it with the timing chain as opposed to spending $2k up front? Unless you know your chain is on its last leg ?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 08:36 PM   #13
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How many miles is that?
Roughly 18k

Isn't a used motor with installation roughly 4-5k? Might be a stupid comment but why not just risk it with the timing chain as opposed to spending $2k up front? Unless you know your chain is on its last leg ?
Honestly my chain seems fine, little wear marks and pretty tight still. I would be doing it as preventive maintainance, but a buddy of mine has an auto car and his timing chain went and he had it replaced almost 40k miles ago and hasn't had any issues since so that's the main reason I'm considering it. He has 147k on his n20 now.

But I'm curious is it's an auto only type problem because I haven't seen many people with 6mt's have failures, just speculation that maybe the auto trans is harder on the timing chain.

But as far as the motor thing, id much rather spend 2k now than have to spend 5-6 down the road yunno. But I'm not going to lie I have considered just selling it and buying an e39 540i. Turbo Motors are headaches I've learned
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #14
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How many miles is that?
Roughly 18k

Honestly my chain seems fine, little wear marks and pretty tight still. I would be doing it as preventive maintainance, but a buddy of mine has an auto car and his timing chain went and he had it replaced almost 40k miles ago and hasn't had any issues since so that's the main reason I'm considering it. He has 147k on his n20 now.

But I'm curious is it's an auto only type problem because I haven't seen many people with 6mt's have failures, just speculation that maybe the auto trans is harder on the timing chain.

But as far as the motor thing, id much rather spend 2k now than have to spend 5-6 down the road yunno. But I'm not going to lie I have considered just selling it and buying an e39 540i. Turbo Motors are headaches I've learned
think I have heard that the autos are more likely to have the timing chain issue.

I've put a lot of thought into the timing chain recently. Bought mine at 30k miles, oil changes were done at 12k intervals before I got it. If I knew what I did now, then I would've though twice about buying it. I did a few 10k oil changes and I've recently learned a lot more and put a stage 1, so it will be 5k for the rest of my ownership which should be around 100k. Hoping to make it there without a timing chain issue

I guess it depends how long you plan to drive it. I don't plan on driving a bmw past 100k. 540i would be a nice step up!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 08:57 PM   #15
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How many miles is that?
Roughly 18k

think I have heard that the autos are more likely to have the timing chain issue.

I've put a lot of thought into the timing chain recently. Bought mine at 30k miles, oil changes were done at 12k intervals before I got it. If I knew what I did now, then I would've though twice about buying it. I did a few 10k oil changes and I've recently learned a lot more and put a stage 1, so it will be 5k for the rest of my ownership which should be around 100k. Hoping to make it there without a timing chain issue

I guess it depends how long you plan to drive it. I don't plan on driving a bmw past 100k. 540i would be a nice step up!
Yeah research was my mistake as well, I come from vw and have had a few 2.0 turbos so I naturally went with what I knew and I bought the car cash with the intent on keeping it and building it but later found out you can't build these cause the Motors are weak and can't be built like the VW 2.0's. I got it with 60k and now have 87k so I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. I'm not the kinda guy that needs the new hotness all the time so I'd be good with an e39. I just want something reliable that I can build and make some decent power with that's not going to blow up in my face hahaha.

All that being said she's been pretty good to me, I've had to replace things here and there like thermostat, ignition coils, maf, etc but nothing major. It's just tough to let go cause I like the car and already have 6-7k into it with the FBO, 3500 dollar KW's and the wheels but that's the game we play modding cars. Never get what you got in.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2020, 09:37 PM   #16
kahnfucious
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How many miles is that?
Roughly 18k

Yeah research was my mistake as well, I come from vw and have had a few 2.0 turbos so I naturally went with what I knew and I bought the car cash with the intent on keeping it and building it but later found out you can't build these cause the Motors are weak and can't be built like the VW 2.0's. I got it with 60k and now have 87k so I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. I'm not the kinda guy that needs the new hotness all the time so I'd be good with an e39. I just want something reliable that I can build and make some decent power with that's not going to blow up in my face hahaha.

All that being said she's been pretty good to me, I've had to replace things here and there like thermostat, ignition coils, maf, etc but nothing major. It's just tough to let go cause I like the car and already have 6-7k into it with the FBO, 3500 dollar KW's and the wheels but that's the game we play modding cars. Never get what you got in.
1000% modifying cars is about the journey not really about the end result or getting $ back.

I just got a 328i and it has every Option - in a way That's sad and my wife has noticed that I'm bored with nothing to remove or replace etc.

I'm mostly afraid to touch it because it has 2 more years of warranty
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2020, 09:52 PM   #17
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How many miles is that?
Roughly 18k

Interesting that you came from a VW...I have a need for speed and I don't want to spend the money for an M car at the moment, although I definitely will one day. Also don't want to modify a bmw too too heavily and risk loosing my investment as I've seen with some horror stories on these forums. So I'm thinking my next car might be a golf R and bring it to stage 2 with 400 bhp. Those things are rockets and I'd feel more comfortable pushing her since it's not AS expensive. Thoughts on that after owning a gti?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 09:55 PM   #18
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How many miles is that?
Roughly 18k

1000% modifying cars is about the journey not really about the end result or getting $ back.

I just got a 328i and it has every Option - in a way That's sad and my wife has noticed that I'm bored with nothing to remove or replace etc.

If you want to take some risk, put a piggyback tune in there. I just got mine in 300 miles ago and I'm loving it. I know they can tell if they look at the logs and see how much boost your pushing but I figure if everything looks normal under the hood they wouldn't check unless a huge problem suddenly came up... I only have one more month on my warranty so not really a risk for me

Piggybacks also aren't much of a journey if that's what you're lookin for. Sounds like you need a project car
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 09:39 AM   #19
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]

Quote:
yep
Yep that thought has crossed my mind as well, going back to VW and getting a Golf R, I went and looked at one 2 weeks ago but I'm not ready to give up yet. A local guy here had a 13 and bought a long block and did an insane build on it whilst keeping the original block to return to OE if need be (I dont have it like that lol) but he was getting stupid numbers on the thing. I just always wanted a Bimmer so I got this, and when I bought it I could have bought an R for like 2-3k more so jokes on me hahaha.

like mentioned though my 328i is FBO at the moment and tuned with bootmod3 stage 2 93 and she's been fairly reliable, left me on the side of the road twice but the first time I managed to get her home and the second time was cause I hit a Fox going 100mph on the Highway and it busted my bumper up pretty good and cracked my secondary radiator, Oops!

I wish I could pick up a little project car though, But space is limited and I'm also a motorcycle guy as well so the bike has to be in garage so I dont have room for anything else.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #20
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:

You should be good, You have a 16 so timing isnt a real big issue on your model. they definitely wake up with a tune and light mods, You dont have to go crazy.

and bummer with mine was it was a special order car and the Orig. owner got every bell and whistle offered at the time except the aero package and the brakes, WHO SKIMPS ON THE BRAKES! lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 02:46 PM   #21
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How many miles is that?
Roughly 18k

Interesting that you came from a VW...I have a need for speed and I don't want to spend the money for an M car at the moment, although I definitely will one day. Also don't want to modify a bmw too too heavily and risk loosing my investment as I've seen with some horror stories on these forums. So I'm thinking my next car might be a golf R and bring it to stage 2 with 400 bhp. Those things are rockets and I'd feel more comfortable pushing her since it's not AS expensive. Thoughts on that after owning a gti?
Watch out for the Front Axle probs with the Golf's and especially the R's. My local Indie Manager has that brand spanking new and his went out immediatly less than 6 mths in, that was before his stage 1 Cobb tune as well.
      03-04-2020, 06:00 PM   #22
kahnfucious
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You should be good, You have a 16 so timing isnt a real big issue on your model. they definitely wake up with a tune and light mods, You dont have to go crazy.

and bummer with mine was it was a special order car and the Orig. owner got every bell and whistle offered at the time except the aero package and the brakes, WHO SKIMPS ON THE BRAKES! lol.
I have all options / except for adaptive cruise control and a few smaller items.

Msport brakes etc.

I made the EXACT same choice as you - for a comparable mileage GOLF R - I was looking at 5-8K more. That's not small money, while it sounds small in a payment.

I also looked at an S3 - they wanted 4k more but with double the mileage

A GTI - didn't feel anywhere near as nice

WRX - so crazy cheap interior and insane amounts of road noise.

There were no CPO Msport 335is within 100 miles of me when I was looking and also were another 5-8k

In the end I "compromised" and I feel bad even saying that for a 328i - with a year left on base warranty and then the CPO warranty. Of all the AWD choices - this became the low cost option - how the heck does that work right???

I will admit that I miss rowing gears - but would have probably chosen an auto golf R and ended up with the same feeling. The most weird thing I experience with the 328i is it is literally probably a full 1.5-2 seconds faster than the Mini Cooper S I sold to make room for it yet it feels slower because it's refined.

I'll keep this car for 2 years and see how I feel then.
Appreciate 0