F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Catted downpipe worth it?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-11-2020, 05:30 AM   #23
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brant View Post
Sharing feedback from HJS :
They do not carry DP for 320i, both N20 and B48. But local agent/distributor is legal to import the main cat. and further processing to make DP and sell them under the name of HJS.
True, you can always have something made. In the US, Fabspeed is the importer for HJS cats, and they are an amazing custom fabrication house. Would be easy to contact their Director of Engineering to have something made for a specific car. They are located outside of Philadelphia. People even have their cars shipped to Fabspeed for custom work. Another alternative is to ship them a stock part like a downpipe and have an HJS cat installed. There are a huge variety of sizes available in HJS cats so something is likely to fit.

I subscribe to the Fabspeed social media feeds and they release weekly video clips of the cars finished by their custom shop. Really cool stuff!They have local open houses and Cars & Coffee events too.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:48 AM   #24
Brant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
True, you can always have something made. In the US, Fabspeed is the importer for HJS cats, and they are an amazing custom fabrication house. Would be easy to contact their Director of Engineering to have something made for a specific car. They are located outside of Philadelphia. People even have their cars shipped to Fabspeed for custom work. Another alternative is to ship them a stock part like a downpipe and have an HJS cat installed. There are a huge variety of sizes available in HJS cats so something is likely to fit.

I subscribe to the Fabspeed social media feeds and they release weekly video clips of the cars finished by their custom shop. Really cool stuff!They have local open houses and Cars & Coffee events too.
Hi Johnung,

Thanks for sharing your idea. Below is Fabspeed's reply which close this case as I am in Taiwan.

I'm glad your research confirmed what we found.

Unfortunately, the N20/B48 are not in the Fabspeed Motorsport R&D pipeline at the moment. There are a couple models in the queue which offer a better match for our customer base. Developing a prototype would be quite expensive, and we would have to track down a donor vehicle willing to be on the lift for a couple weeks etc.

Without knowing measurements and fitment specifications, as well as emissions requirements in your region, I am unable to offer a suggestion. But perhaps this website link will help you?

https://www.hjs-motorsport.de/produc...catalysts.html

It seems to include diagrams of dimensions of the cats. I hope this helps!
320i N20 8AT | Öhlins DFV Suspension | RAYS 19" ZE40 w/ PS4s | BM3 Stage2 91 | MP Brake Kit | WT Competition FMIC EVO 1 | HJS Euro 6 200Cells Catalytic DP | ARQRAY Performance Exhaust | GFB DV+ Blow off Valve
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:47 AM   #25
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Johnung,

Thanks for sharing your idea. Below is Fabspeed's reply which close this case as I am in Taiwan.

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]I'm glad your research confirmed what we found.

Unfortunately, the N20/B48 are not in the Fabspeed Motorsport R&D pipeline at the moment. There are a couple models in the queue which offer a better match for our customer base. Developing a prototype would be quite expensive, and we would have to track down a donor vehicle willing to be on the lift for a couple weeks etc.

Without knowing measurements and fitment specifications, as well as emissions requirements in your region, I am unable to offer a suggestion. But perhaps this website link will help you?

https://www.hjs-motorsport.de/produc...catalysts.html

It seems to include diagrams of dimensions of the cats. I hope this helps! [/COLOR]
Interesting. I was really writing that for anyone in the US with a similar issue. Sorry, I should have stated that I didn't expect Fabspeed to be a solution for you in Taiwan.

Maybe HJS has a distributor in your region who could put you in touch with a fabrication house. Also have you checked to see what is available off the shelf in Europe? I have found things on AmazonUK. I've heard that eBay in Germany is a good source too. Europe is where I would expect to find it if it exists. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:32 PM   #26
Brant
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. I was really writing that for anyone in the US with a similar issue. Sorry, I should have stated that I didn't expect Fabspeed to be a solution for you in Taiwan.

Maybe HJS has a distributor in your region who could put you in touch with a fabrication house. Also have you checked to see what is available off the shelf in Europe? I have found things on AmazonUK. I've heard that eBay in Germany is a good source too. Europe is where I would expect to find it if it exists. Good luck!
Thanks for the detail reply and effort you put on this case. Sharing my study about HJS Cat. :
1. The HJS agent in Taiwan is actually carrying HJS branded DP with HJS 200 cells Cat., it's just the price is more than US$1500 which I cannot accept at the moment ; I am quite not sure the agent is willing to share which Cat. they are using for local market as what I might going to do is what they are selling.
2. Price for HJS Cat. from Fabspeed is OK, and an Euro online shop called TurboPerformance also got good offer for that.

Other than HJS DP with 200 cells, I am debating whether SuperSprint DP with HJS 100 cells Cat. would be a better option as my buying cost could be lower than HJS agent selling price in Taiwan. Currently I am using local Cat. DP but still there are bad smell.

Going straight DP and push the car to it limited (300HP / 440Nm) is not an option to me as I would like to keep this car for many years, targeting to tune/flash my car to 280HP / 39TQ (engine output) would be the next step. FYI, the dyno chart is attached here.

Has been debating on which one to go for several days. I would be very appreciated if you could share your idea, thank you very much.

320i N20 8AT | Öhlins DFV Suspension | RAYS 19" ZE40 w/ PS4s | BM3 Stage2 91 | MP Brake Kit | WT Competition FMIC EVO 1 | HJS Euro 6 200Cells Catalytic DP | ARQRAY Performance Exhaust | GFB DV+ Blow off Valve
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:48 PM   #27
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the detail reply and effort you put on this case. Sharing my study about HJS Cat. :
1. The HJS agent in Taiwan is actually carrying HJS branded DP with HJS 200 cells Cat., it's just the price is more than US$1500 which I cannot accept at the moment ; I am quite not sure the agent is willing to share which Cat. they are using for local market as what I might going to do is what they are selling.
2. Price for HJS Cat. from Fabspeed is OK, and an Euro online shop called TurboPerformance also got good offer for that.

Other than HJS DP with 200 cells, I am debating whether SuperSprint DP with HJS 100 cells Cat. would be a better option as my buying cost could be lower than HJS agent selling price in Taiwan. Currently I am using local Cat. DP but still there are bad smell.

Going straight DP and push the car to it limited (300HP / 440Nm) is not an option to me as I would like to keep this car for many years, targeting to tune/flash my car to 280HP / 39TQ (engine output) would be the next step. FYI, the dyno chart is attached here.

Has been debating on which one to go for several days. I would be very appreciated if you could share your idea, thank you very much.

Curious if the Wagner catted downpipe is an option for you? Wagner was my second choice if there had not been the Fabspeed HJS option for my '15 335ix N55. Below is a link to the Wagner catted DP that may fit your car? I would assume that this Wagner DP is widely distributed worldwide. Is it easier for you to obtain parts from the US, UK, Germany or somewhere else?

https://x-ph.com/wagner-tuning-n20-downpipes/
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:43 PM   #28
Brant
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Curious if the Wagner catted downpipe is an option for you? Wagner was my second choice if there had not been the Fabspeed HJS option for my '15 335ix N55. Below is a link to the Wagner catted DP that may fit your car? I would assume that this Wagner DP is widely distributed worldwide. Is it easier for you to obtain parts from the US, UK, Germany or somewhere else?

Thanks for the suggestion, but performance wise WT should do the same job as what I am using, HJS Cat. is the only incentive to me. Here is the reference link for what I am using:
https://x-ph.com/stone-exhaust-bmw-n...e-228-328-428/

They are a Taiwanese company which very focus on quality welding processing, it's just me very very picky on the smell, in fact many owner or local shop using their product.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:17 AM   #29
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but performance wise WT should do the same job as what I am using, HJS Cat. is the only incentive to me. Here is the reference link for what I am using:
https://x-ph.com/stone-exhaust-bmw-n...e-228-328-428/

They are a Taiwanese company which very focus on quality welding processing, it's just me very very picky on the smell, in fact many owner or local shop using their product.
Any idea what cat Stone Eddy is using? Do you know anyone in Taiwan who has a Wagner catted DP on their car that you could check out for smell? Many ask on local forums or check with an local dealers if there are any that sell Wagner. They may have a car or know a customer or shop who has a Wagner installed. I'm just brainstorming. I just have the impression from my previous research that the Wagner cat is a step above any others available, except for HJS. Hope that you find a solution.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #30
Brant
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Any idea what cat Stone Eddy is using? Do you know anyone in Taiwan who has a Wagner catted DP on their car that you could check out for smell? Many ask on local forums or check with an local dealers if there are any that sell Wagner. They may have a car or know a customer or shop who has a Wagner installed. I'm just brainstorming. I just have the impression from my previous research that the Wagner cat is a step above any others available, except for HJS. Hope that you find a solution.
In Taiwan lots of technical information are seen as secret, so owner do not access to that kind of information.

WT catted DP is not so commonly used here and the only friend who installed that had replaced it with a straight DP. If they are using German Cat., the performance should be above average like you said. Do you ever contact HJS distributor for the DP fit your car ?

In addition, I found the DP for your car, here is the link :
http://stone-exhaust.com/index.php?a...l_id=85&id=258
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:35 PM   #31
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
In Taiwan lots of technical information are seen as secret, so owner do not access to that kind of information.

WT catted DP is not so commonly used here and the only friend who installed that had replaced it with a straight DP. If they are using German Cat., the performance should be above average like you said. Do you ever contact HJS distributor for the DP fit your car ?

In addition, I found the DP for your car, here is the link :
http://stone-exhaust.com/index.php?a...=85&id=258
Fabspeed is the HJS distributor for the United States. I have the Fabspeed HJS catted downpipe installed on my 2015 335i xDrive. It sounds great, has no gasoline smell, no Check Engine Lights and has great performance with BootMod3 N55 EWG Stage2 93 Octane OTS tune. I have the stock midpipe and the BMW axle-back M Performance Exhaust. I actually turned burbles completely off in BM3 because I enjoy the pure sound of the Fabspeed downpipe with the MP Exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 01:17 AM   #32
Brant
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Fabspeed is the HJS distributor for the United States. I have the Fabspeed HJS catted downpipe installed on my 2015 335i xDrive. It sounds great, has no gasoline smell, no Check Engine Lights and has great performance with BootMod3 N55 EWG Stage2 93 Octane OTS tune. I have the stock midpipe and the BMW axle-back M Performance Exhaust. I actually turned burbles completely off in BM3 because I enjoy the pure sound of the Fabspeed downpipe with the MP Exhaust!
What a dream combination, so envious of your setting. Your reply really make me more into HJS Cat. Local HJS sale is going to call me later.

Do you flash your BM3 by your own ?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 05:58 AM   #33
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
What a dream combination, so envious of your setting. Your reply really make me more into HJS Cat. Local HJS sale is going to call me later.

Do you flash your BM3 by your own ?
I had a JB tune previously. BootMod3 was much easier. Took 20 minutes going slowly the first time with my laptop and the Ethernet to OBD cable. The free automatic transmission tune that comes with it is excellent. Much more responsive in Sport mode especially.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:48 AM   #34
Brant
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
I had a JB tune previously. BootMod3 was much easier. Took 20 minutes going slowly the first time with my laptop and the Ethernet to OBD cable. The free automatic transmission tune that comes with it is excellent. Much more responsive in Sport mode especially.
Seems discussion for DP has comes to an end, local HJS agent will contact me next week, will share what they told me then.

If you don't mind, could we chat via Facebook Messenger ? ID : Brant Yu

One of my friend who is also a owner for 335i, I believe you will definitely be amazed for his tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 02:18 AM   #35
silverster
Rep
Drives: E60 535i, F10 535i, F30 330i

Quote:
Seems discussion for DP has comes to an end, local HJS agent will contact me next week, will share what they told me then.

If you don't mind, could we chat via Facebook Messenger ? ID : Brant Yu

One of my friend who is also a owner for 335i, I believe you will definitely be amazed for his tune.
Hi Brant, I am from Taiwan as well. I have also been considering using Stone downpipe as well. But you have said there are some small from it. Is it really bad? I am using my car with my kids so I would like to find a high flow downpipe with minumum smalls.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 10:19 AM   #36
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

I would love to know if there is a significant drop in underhood temps with a coated catted hi flow dp.
Appreciate 0