F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Custom steering wheel wrap
GetBMWParts

08-26-2018, 01:22 AM   #89
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikabrak View Post
Looks 100 times better than the first attempt.

Perfect actually.

Thread must have broke at 7-8 O'clock on the wheel but I'm sure no one will notice.

Great configuration.
Thanks mate.

Yes you're right, it's at about 8'o clock. Though its easier to see in a pic with flash than in natural ambient light.

435i Gran Coupe | ///M Sport Pkg | 430hp | MHD Stage 2+ | BMS Intake | Catless Downpipe | FMIC | Black Sapphire exterior | 9H Ceramic Coating | Black Anthracite interior | 19" Black ///M Wheels | Red ///M Brake Calipers | ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Alcantara dash panel | Carbon Fiber trims and gear knob | Angel Eyes LEDs | Surround Cameras | Spoiler | Coded ///M iDrive, Mirrors, HUD |
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 01:26 PM   #90
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 LCI

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Anyone know how far back this connecting piece should go?
Attached Images

08-31-2018, 01:34 PM   #91
brikabrak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilax59 View Post
pretty far, almost entirely behind the wheel.

It should line up with a crack / crevasse at the bottom of the wheel
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #92
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 LCI

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikabrak View Post
Quote:
pretty far, almost entirely behind the wheel.

It should line up with a crack / crevasse at the bottom of the wheel
Any tips for tucking in the bottom part without removing the airbag? Having trouble figuring out how to the wrap all the way around with that connected part. Would it be easier or better if I mad a cut in it and then trimmed the excess?
Attached Images

08-31-2018, 02:53 PM   #93
brikabrak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Any tips for tucking in the bottom part without removing the airbag? Having trouble figuring out how to the wrap all the way around with that connected part. Would it be easier or better if I mad a cut in it and then trimmed the excess?
You don't tuck in the bottom part. I'll take some pictures later.

edit: maybe you can tuck it, I will let you know.

Last edited by brikabrak; 08-31-2018 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #94
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe M-Sport

Quote:
Do NOT cut! It will look butchered.

If you're not removing the airbag, use the plastic trim tool provided with the Mewant kit or better yet a thin screwdriver to tuck in the excess. But be advised, it's a real tight fit and you're really better off doing it proper and removing the airbag/steering cover first.

EDIT: You're actually supposed to start sewing from the bottom. A 'dry fit' makes it seem the cover won't fit perfectly, but it will when you sew all the way around. But again, a perfect fit will only occur if you've removed the airbag and cover first.
435i Gran Coupe | ///M Sport Pkg | 430hp | MHD Stage 2+ | BMS Intake | Catless Downpipe | FMIC | Black Sapphire exterior | 9H Ceramic Coating | Black Anthracite interior | 19" Black ///M Wheels | Red ///M Brake Calipers | ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Alcantara dash panel | Carbon Fiber trims and gear knob | Angel Eyes LEDs | Surround Cameras | Spoiler | Coded ///M iDrive, Mirrors, HUD |
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2018, 03:40 PM   #95
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

How is the Alcantara holding up for you guys?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 06:53 PM   #96
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevDon92 View Post
How is the Alcantara holding up for you guys?
Just cleaned mine yesterday, it was getting a bit matted and grimy. Almost as good as new. So far so good.
Attached Images

11-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #97
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Just cleaned mine yesterday, it was getting a bit matted and grimy. Almost as good as new. So far so good.
Would you do it over again if you had the choice? Also, what guide did you use to remove the wheel/trim? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:51 PM   #98
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Blank

Yeah, for sure. I originally wanted the Alcantara M Performance wheel with the flat bottom designed for the sport airbag, but the cheapest I found it was around $750. The wrap was about $50 and got me about 75-80% of the way there.

I personally really like the alcantara feel and since it's wrapped around the existing leather, it thickens the rim a good amount, which I also like. Just be warned that it'll take a good chunk of time to do it well, but for me, the 3-4 hours it took me is well worth the $700 I saved. (Side note: the M Performance wheel has grey stitching, the red stitching on the wrap I got matches my Sport Line interior).

I used this video's method to remove the wheel. Couldn't for the life of me get the airbag off using the little slits.

Removing the controls/trim is pretty straight forward after that. Just need a torx bit screwdriver (I think it's T20 but don't quote me on that). I personally think wheel removal is the way to go so you can stitch in a comfortable, well-lit area as opposed to the dark, cramped, awkwardly angled prospect of doing it from the driver's seat.
      12-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #99
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It’s only $35 from AliExpress right now. I may try it rather than pay the $200 plus shipping both ways from Cobywheel
Appreciate 1
jh_f301306.00
      12-03-2018, 01:29 AM   #100
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Could you post a picture or two of the back of the wheel by the paddle shifters? It looks like the cover doesn’t line up too well there. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #101
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Could you post a picture or two of the back of the wheel by the paddle shifters? It looks like the cover doesn’t line up too well there. Thanks!
Here's what I could get while sitting in the driver's seat. Not the best pics, but hope they help. Again, it's not absolutely perfect, but for the amount saved and the fact that I never see the back, it's good enough for me.
Attached Images

haagm58809.50
      12-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #102
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Does the part between the side spoke and airbag on each side both you? It seems like the material isn’t long enough to properly tuck on the corner there?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:39 AM   #103
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Does the part between the side spoke and airbag on each side both you? It seems like the material isn’t long enough to properly tuck on the corner there?
Not really. I don't really look at it all that much. I could probably get in there with some contact adhesive and pull tight to clean it up, but I don't really have an issue with it. Also, I trimmed it a bit to try to get a cleaner tuck, so I might have been a little overzealous with that.

I mean, really for $50, it's worth a shot. Works for me, but I keep in mind that it was $50 and not $200-750. Try it, if you don't like it, drop the extra cash for a professionally wrapped wheel. I'd say, with the potential cost savings, it's at least worth the attempt. It's not a huge investment, imo.
      12-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #104
Pittcrew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril Blue 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Could you post a picture or two of the back of the wheel by the paddle shifters? It looks like the cover doesn't line up too well there. Thanks!
Here's what I could get while sitting in the driver's seat. Not the best pics, but hope they help. Again, it's not absolutely perfect, but for the amount saved and the fact that I never see the back, it's good enough for me.
The carbon fiber in the pictures, are those your paddle shifters? If so where did you get them?
Thanks
      12-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #105
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittcrew View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Could you post a picture or two of the back of the wheel by the paddle shifters? It looks like the cover doesn't line up too well there. Thanks!
The carbon fiber in the pictures, are those your paddle shifters? If so where did you get them?
Thanks
Yes. I think I got em from aliexpress. Found these for reference:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328897...Q1544142777076
      12-24-2018, 07:40 PM   #106
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, for sure. I originally wanted the Alcantara M Performance wheel with the flat bottom designed for the sport airbag, but the cheapest I found it was around $750. The wrap was about $50 and got me about 75-80% of the way there.

I personally really like the alcantara feel and since it's wrapped around the existing leather, it thickens the rim a good amount, which I also like. Just be warned that it'll take a good chunk of time to do it well, but for me, the 3-4 hours it took me is well worth the $700 I saved. (Side note: the M Performance wheel has grey stitching, the red stitching on the wrap I got matches my Sport Line interior).

I used this video's method to remove the wheel. Couldn't for the life of me get the airbag off using the little slits.

Removing the controls/trim is pretty straight forward after that. Just need a torx bit screwdriver (I think it's T20 but don't quote me on that). I personally think wheel removal is the way to go so you can stitch in a comfortable, well-lit area as opposed to the dark, cramped, awkwardly angled prospect of doing it from the driver's seat.
I can’t for the life of me get the airbag off going by that video. I get a screwdriver on the tab, but the airbag doesn’t move
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #107
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I can’t for the life of me get the airbag off going by that video. I get a screwdriver on the tab, but the airbag doesn’t move
You gotta pull pretty hard. Make sure you battery is disconnected.
      12-25-2018, 08:33 AM   #108
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Use a plastic trim removal wedge to pry up the air bag while releasing the tab. Don't over do it, lift it just enough so that the tab stays released. Leave the wedge in place, use a second wedge to repeat on the other side. When both tabs are released apply equal pressure to both wedges to remove the bag.
Appreciate 1
haagm58809.50
      12-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #109
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So some are saying to pull hard on the airbag and others are saying not to. I just don’t want to damage anything
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 10:09 AM   #110
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So some are saying to pull hard on the airbag and others are saying not to. I just don’t want to damage anything
Pull it. I've done it 3 times. It's wedged in there pretty good. Just make sure the spring clip is free.