F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Debadged and looks horrible, Factory error? can it be corrected?
ARMA SPEED

12-05-2018, 06:41 PM   #23
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastActionJax View Post
328i badge
I only ask because thats a weird shape for a 328i badge. It does look more like a piece of tape and a spray job over it rather than the original adhesive from the 328i lettering (the adhesive follows the numbers pretty closely)

2013 F30 328i (12/2015 - 09/2020) SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #24
jlorenzo125
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTAR View Post
I only ask because thats a weird shape for a 328i badge. It does look more like a piece of tape and a spray job over it rather than the original adhesive from the 328i lettering (the adhesive follows the numbers pretty closely)
Yea whoever painted it must've just masked off the entire 328i totally one peice. When I debadged mine, a simple buff removed the minimal outline of the numbering adhesive line.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #25
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
328i badge
The 328i actually fits perfectly in the shape, I never noticed it before removing the badges. When I reinstall the black badges I'll post up a pic
BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
@youtube.com/fastactionjax/
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #26
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlorenzo125 View Post
Quote:
Yea whoever painted it must've just masked off the entire 328i totally one peice. When I debadged mine, a simple buff removed the minimal outline of the numbering adhesive line.
I don't know what happened but it's definitely not right, must've been on the side if it was repainted because the Carfax is perfect
BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #27
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Yikes. That's not factory. As others have stated, it's likely been repainted following a wreck, etc. A paint thickness meter might provide insight.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 06:56 PM   #28
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

That's a piece of masking tape bruh

Carfax is a complete joke. My WRX that I traded had a $3600 ins claim for a front end collision had a clean Carfax. Likwise before that my RS that had a 7k flood claim also had a clean Carfax. Surprise to the new owner....

Maybe they just hit a pole or something. I bet the rear bumper no longer has the VIN on it or has some Bondo. And if you look under there and pull the interior out you'll see the spray.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #29
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Yikes. That's not factory. As others have stated, it's likely been repainted following a wreck, etc. A paint thickness meter might provide insight.
If it was involved in an accident it would have been on the Carfax, Carfax was clean. Possibly backed into something and fixed it out of pocket on the side is all I can think of. Or something of that sort
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #30
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
That's a piece of masking tape bruh

Carfax is a complete joke. My WRX that I traded had a $3600 ins claim for a front end collision had a clean Carfax. Likwise before that my RS that had a 7k flood claim also had a clean Carfax. Surprise to the new owner....

Maybe they just hit a pole or something. I bet the rear bumper no longer has the VIN on it or has some Bondo. And if you look under there and pull the interior out you'll see the spray.
What's the point of things like Carfax then if it can't even be trusted. This shit pisses me off. I like most of us here paid good money for this car. I actually saved up and bought the car outright too which makes me even more mad, I planned on keeping it and building it. But as I run across crap like this I feel like I bought the wrong Car, especially how much money I've put into it already on upgrades. This is minor to some I know but this on top of some other small nuisances adds up
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #31
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
If it was involved in an accident it would have been on the Carfax,
Only if it was reported to some agency that entered it into a public database. Carfax is a joke, because all they do is search databases and report what they find. Once when I sold a car the buyer did a preliminary Carfax that showed 14 hits. Only after they paid the fee did they found out those 14 hits consisted of the car registration being renewed 7 times and having state inspection done 7 times. No accidents.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 11:02 PM   #32
D041987
Big Turbo Boys N Girls
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328I 6speed

That was definitely masked and trunk was resprayed! Do a vehicle autocheck as carfax does not give you the full report. The autocheck will shows all accidents if gone though insurance or police reports that carfax missed.
2012 F30: G25-660 Bottom Mount Mani+ DP+ Intake, CSF FMIC, VRSF CP, Walbro 450 LPFP, PR Injection with AIC 4, S63TU Injectors, Tuned with BM3, ZF Race 4 Puck and Non SSA Pressure plate, Catless, 3.5" Quad Muffler, Custom Valved Bilstein B8 + H&R SS. Max 456 WHP - 452 WTRQ. Currently tuned down to 434 WHP and 362 WTRQ to save the rods.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #33
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Well, I put black badges on this morning, much better. I wish I could have kept it debadged but this doesn't look bad either, much better than the chrome.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #34
JDTX
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i GC Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW 428i  [0.00]
Nice! I think it looks even better than debadged.
      12-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #35
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTX View Post
Nice! I think it looks even better than debadged.
Thanks bro! 👊🏼
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #36
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
OP - looks good now I replaced all my badging with black versions on my 435 also

As far as Carfax goes, over the years I have hit 3 deer (or they hit me) with 3 seperate cars.

Each time the claim was turned into insurance & fixed thoroughly using OEM parts thru insurance at approved shops.

Not one of these instances appeared in a Carfax report

Now the damage was limited to panels/headlight/grill/repaint in each case (nothing major, but costs in the $1000's) so there really was no concern for future buyer - all cars were traded in at dealer when purchasing new car btw

But just an example of how accurate Carfax can be - it certainly does give people a warm/fuzzy feeling when they get a clean report & aides the sale many times I'm sure - but just goes to show you that reality is not always what you're told...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #37
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
OP - looks good now I replaced all my badging with black versions on my 435 also

As far as Carfax goes, over the years I have hit 3 deer (or they hit me) with 3 seperate cars.

Each time the claim was turned into insurance & fixed thoroughly using OEM parts thru insurance at approved shops.

Not one of these instances appeared in a Carfax report

Now the damage was limited to panels/headlight/grill/repaint in each case (nothing major, but costs in the $1000's) so there really was no concern for future buyer - all cars were traded in at dealer when purchasing new car btw

But just an example of how accurate Carfax can be - it certainly does give people a warm/fuzzy feeling when they get a clean report & aides the sale many times I'm sure - but just goes to show you that reality is not always what you're told...
Yeah I mean it makes sense, I'm sure their are just as many cars with poor Carfax reports as there are clean Ones really. Maybe not on paper, It seems like from a business aspect that they'd want to hide things like that. it influences dealers to use it without worrying about not selling cars over what they'd consider dumb (minor cosmetic repairs and such) but what customers may consider and no go. it's not huge to me, little upsetting but to be honest because I bought the car out of state, I may not have bought it if I knew it had paint work. Nothing is black and white anymore, the whole world runs on sketchy. Haha
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 08:07 PM   #38
lfepro.g
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i

Damn I had the same exact problem on my Miata .... pretty sure it was either repainted or clearcoated when the Badge was still on the car
      12-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #39
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfepro.g View Post
Damn I had the same exact problem on my Miata .... pretty sure it was either repainted or clearcoated when the Badge was still on the car
Yeah in the end I like the black badges, still gives it a cleaner Look because it Looks like it belongs. The chrome badge just looked out of place.
Appreciate 0