F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Blown out my struts,shock need input from people who have Bilsteins or Konis !
ARMA SPEED

12-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
Raymondlaii
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Blown out my struts,shock need input from people who have Bilsteins or Konis !

just hit a major pothole NYC sucks !!!, my shock is completely blown, I have the F30 M sport suspension with EDC. I'm torn between Bilstein and konis as they're the most popular option for this car. Can anyone that has these chime in ? If you could tell me what setup you're running like what springs you paired em up with or have pics . If you could tell me how it rides too that would be great !
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

NYC potholes bring little joy. I used to live in NY area.

OEM EDC shocks are expensive and replacing one shock might be cheaper than replacing all four shocks with aftermarket EDC shocks.

https://cart.bilsteinus.com/results?...92055976998175

The online catalog shows Bilstein B6 DampTronic shocks for 335i. But I recall these shocks have been back ordered for a while.

Coilovers with individually adjustable compression and rebound controls provide the widest range of suspension tuning options for rough roads. EDC ECU cancellation kit is required. You can also code out EDC functionality but it will return if the dealer has to reprogram the vehicle.

Incidentally, it's not uncommon for the dealer to refuse any programming until the car has been reset to factory programming. Which means the customer will be charged to re-program the vehicle to factory levels first before any other changes.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 12:40 AM   #3
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i XDrive

I was in a similar boat with 70k and worn out EDC struts. I went with B6s on M sport springs with EDC coded out. Took a couple thousands miles to settle but the setup is so much better than what I had before. It's a refined firmness that makes the car feels planted and gives you confidence — not spikey like an M3/M4 on Sport mode. I do miss the very soft comfort mode sometimes on really shit roads in parts of LA. But 95% of the time it's perfect.

I initially had the B6s on Dinan springs, which was also great. Decided to go back to oem springs since i do a fair amount of unpaved desert roads.
Attached Images

12-17-2018, 04:05 AM   #4
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondlaii View Post
just hit a major pothole NYC sucks !!!, my shock is completely blown, I have the F30 M sport suspension with EDC. I'm torn between Bilstein and konis as they're the most popular option for this car. Can anyone that has these chime in ? If you could tell me what setup you're running like what springs you paired em up with or have pics . If you could tell me how it rides too that would be great !
The best protection against potholes is enough tire sidewall.

I would not be surprised if your tophat is damaged from that pothole.
Appreciate 2
Billfitz8169.50
cfm56d7b5853.50
      12-17-2018, 06:34 AM   #5
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Very happy with my Bilstein B8 and AC Schnitzer spring kit. A touch firm on bad roads but PERFECT on smooth surfaces.

If you are looking for a bit more comfort, B6 with stock sport springs would be a good selection.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Hello BMW Experts!

I've lost track of all the Konis I've broken.
Never killed a Billie, though....

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 10-30-2021 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
k3vin0615
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335I M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teapain View Post
I was in a similar boat with 70k and worn out EDC struts. I went with B6s on M sport springs with EDC coded out. Took a couple thousands miles to settle but the setup is so much better than what I had before. It's a refined firmness that makes the car feels planted and gives you confidence — not spikey like an M3/M4 on Sport mode. I do miss the very soft comfort mode sometimes on really shit roads in parts of LA. But 95% of the time it's perfect.

I initially had the B6s on Dinan springs, which was also great. Decided to go back to oem springs since i do a fair amount of unpaved desert roads.
how did you do the codding? was this something you did yourself or you had done at a shop?
if so how much was it? and were you able to drive the car after installing the new shocks without the coding?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #8
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3vin0615 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teapain View Post

how did you do the codding? was this something you did yourself or you had done at a shop?
if so how much was it? and were you able to drive the car after installing the new shocks without the coding?
I did it myself. Relatively easy. Not really "coding". More like a few clicks here and there.

See if this link helps: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23806382

You will be able to drive without coding but will get a fault and the car wont let you go into sport modes.
      12-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondlaii View Post
The best protection against potholes is enough tire sidewall.

I would not be surprised if your tophat is damaged from that pothole.
Good point. Top hat should be examined as well.
Appreciate 0