F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Reliable Ballasts for Aftermarket HID Headlights
ARMA SPEED

12-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
Diddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Reliable Ballasts for Aftermarket HID Headlights

About a year or so ago, I bought aftermarket headlights from here.

It worked great for a few months, but since then I've had a ton of problems with my lights. The left or right low/high beams would go out, and sometimes work on occasion. I got new ballasts twice from the manufacturer, and I still have problems with 1 or both low/high beams not working (DRL and angel eyes always work).

Does anyone have a link to reliable Ballasts I can switch in?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Sport, 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddler View Post
About a year or so ago, I bought aftermarket headlights from here.

It worked great for a few months, but since then I've had a ton of problems with my lights. The left or right low/high beams would go out, and sometimes work on occasion. I got new ballasts twice from the manufacturer, and I still have problems with 1 or both low/high beams not working (DRL and angel eyes always work).

Does anyone have a link to reliable Ballasts I can switch in?
You could try the new morimoto XB 2.0 ballasts. Or Hylux ones. You can find both at The Retrofit Source or Lightwerkz.

Here's a link to the morimoto ones on TRS, just the ballasts. They have a full kit as well.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/am...moto-xb35.html

TRS also sells OEM ballasts from denso, matsushita, osram, etc. if you want to go that route.
Appreciate 1
Diddler12.00
      12-12-2018, 11:56 PM   #3
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

+1 for Morimoto ballasts and TRS. Used both for 4 swaps on a couple different cars. Great ballasts, bulbs, and projectors for the money.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
Diddler12.00
      12-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
Diddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles01 View Post
You could try the new morimoto XB 2.0 ballasts. Or Hylux ones. You can find both at The Retrofit Source or Lightwerkz.

Here's a link to the morimoto ones on TRS, just the ballasts. They have a full kit as well.

TRS also sells OEM ballasts from denso, matsushita, osram, etc. if you want to go that route.
Thanks for the suggestion - I've ordered them and will see how they turn out after installation.

Do you recommend I code out the low beam voltage monitoring using a coding app, or is it not needed?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #5
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion - I've ordered them and will see how they turn out after installation.

Do you recommend I code out the low beam voltage monitoring using a coding app, or is it not needed?
Yeah I'd code out both warm and cold monitoring. Make sure you get the canbus harness to use with the ballasts as well or else you'll still get an error.
Appreciate 1
Diddler12.00
      12-16-2018, 03:29 AM   #6
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

+1 morimoto

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 1
Diddler12.00
      12-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #7
Diddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
+1 for Morimoto ballasts and TRS. Used both for 4 swaps on a couple different cars. Great ballasts, bulbs, and projectors for the money.
Quote:
Yeah I'd code out both warm and cold monitoring. Make sure you get the canbus harness to use with the ballasts as well or else you'll still get an error.
Thanks, I assume I'll need to get the H7 Harness type?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ca...reselect=47697
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #8
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure. Haven't looked at the OE system.

Usually you get whatever the OE system used, so you can connect the body harness into the ballast. However, there are many ways to interface that. I've used an adapter in between the body and ballast before, on one retrofit, and other times I haven't. This was just a short piece of wire with the appropriate plugs on either end, eg. H7 to H11.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #9
Diddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure. Haven't looked at the OE system.

Usually you get whatever the OE system used, so you can connect the body harness into the ballast. However, there are many ways to interface that. I've used an adapter in between the body and ballast before, on one retrofit, and other times I haven't. This was just a short piece of wire with the appropriate plugs on either end, eg. H7 to H11.
I know the bulbs are H7. I guess my question is if this refers to the Harness type as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:44 PM   #10
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

I have the Hylux ballasts. Been going strong for a couple of months.

The only issue I run into with them is when I hit a spot of shade and back to regular light. Idrive will give me an error saying one bulb is out. But if a switch the toggle to turn on headlights, the problem goes away. I suspect the the ballast has an issue with a quick on/off. Other than that, they perform spectacular

2019 440i xDrive | Muffler Delete |
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2018, 10:20 PM   #11
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If your original headlight bulbs were halogen (which I assume so from your post above), then correct you'd need the H7 canbus harness. Basically, for the morimoto system, original headlight plug —> plugs into canbus harness —> plugs into ballast —> plugs into igniter —> plugs into HID bulb.

Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #12
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheng89 View Post

The only issue I run into with them is when I hit a spot of shade and back to regular light. Idrive will give me an error saying one bulb is out. But if a switch the toggle to turn on headlights, the problem goes away. I suspect the the ballast has an issue with a quick on/off. Other than that, they perform spectacular
Did you cold out both cold and warm checks? If you haven't already that might help?
Appreciate 1
bheng8978.50
      12-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #13
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

I have not. I'll go ahead and give it a try!

2019 440i xDrive | Muffler Delete |
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #14
Diddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So far, everything is looking good. Thanks guys!

Quote:

I had similar problems with my old ballast. It may be a physical ballast problem instead of coding that you're having.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2019, 05:33 AM   #15
Hypermile
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d xDrive M-S M-P

Quote:
^ This

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 10:51 AM   #16
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So far, everything is looking good. Thanks guys!

Quote:

I had similar problems with my old ballast. It may be a physical ballast problem instead of coding that you're having.
Awesome, thanks for reporting back! Glad it's all good now.
Appreciate 0