F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > bootmod3 for BMW F series Vehicles - General Discussion
Extreme Powerhouse

02-25-2020, 07:14 AM   #925
kobluna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoiyaSan View Post
Actually I don't see the stg1 torque curve becoming higher than stock until around 1700 RPM.
Thanks for the dyno result slip, I haven't seen one for 320i earlier. Based on BM3 version numbers it's for N20, right?

It does look like that stock would make more torque below 1700rpm but I can say it doesn't feel like the case. However, I have version 2.4 so maybe 2.6 and 3.0 has different torque curve? In normal driving in D/Comfort I experienced NVH from engine when accelerating between 20-55 km/h i.e. normal city driving. RPMs are usually below 2000 all the time during normal driving so the engine is lugged in every acceleration. It felt so bad that I flashed it back to stock.

I used v2.4 S1 93 tune so I'll give a try for v3.0 S1 91 tune but if that still doesn't feel right I'll go with the custom tune. I got also some knocking with ~50% throttle so it also wasn't good. WOT was fine though probably because of richer ATF ratio.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 10:40 AM   #926
DoiyaSan
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobluna View Post
Thanks for the dyno result slip, I haven't seen one for 320i earlier. Based on BM3 version numbers it's for N20, right?

It does look like that stock would make more torque below 1700rpm but I can say it doesn't feel like the case. However, I have version 2.4 so maybe 2.6 and 3.0 has different torque curve? In normal driving in D/Comfort I experienced NVH from engine when accelerating between 20-55 km/h i.e. normal city driving. RPMs are usually below 2000 all the time during normal driving so the engine is lugged in every acceleration. It felt so bad that I flashed it back to stock.

I used v2.4 S1 93 tune so I'll give a try for v3.0 S1 91 tune but if that still doesn't feel right I'll go with the custom tune. I got also some knocking with ~50% throttle so it also wasn't good. WOT was fine though probably because of richer ATF ratio.
This is for the N20 high compression (20i).

Yeah I actually have the same lugging issue. I purposely tested a couple of times using my butt dyno: with BM3 stage 1 91oct tune version 3.0, I usually get the lugging at lower RPM range (<1500) under mild or moderage throttle.

The 8AT at the same time also likes to shift to a higher gear possible (probly aiming for better fuel econ) so more often than not, I find myself in 8th gear cruising at or below 1500, and as soon as I step on the gas, I feel the lugging. I will have to step it more to make the TCU downshifts to 7, then the lugging stops.

I also have XHP flashtool. I flashed their stage 3 for faster shifting, but what I like about it is that it also allows users to adjust the shiftpoint (advance or delay). So what I did was I made the upshifting later and downshifting earlier. Now I feel the lugging a lot less often because the TCU isn't so eager to go to 8th anymore.

Personally, I would also love to see PTF to add the boost by RPM feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #927
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:

Yeah I actually have the same lugging issue. I purposely tested a couple of times using my butt dyno: with BM3 stage 1 91oct tune version 3.0, I usually get the lugging at lower RPM range (<1500) under mild or moderage throttle.

The 8AT at the same time also likes to shift to a higher gear possible (probly aiming for better fuel econ) so more often than not, I find myself in 8th gear cruising at or below 1500, and as soon as I step on the gas, I feel the lugging. I will have to step it more to make the TCU downshifts to 7, then the lugging stops.

I also have XHP flashtool. I flashed their stage 3 for faster shifting, but what I like about it is that it also allows users to adjust the shiftpoint (advance or delay). So what I did was I made the upshifting later and downshifting earlier. Now I feel the lugging a lot less often because the TCU isn't so eager to go to 8th anymore.

You know that lugging issue is below 1500 rpm...stock N20/26 have it. Seriously put it on sport mode and it will disappear.
Appreciate 1
hybris204.50
      02-25-2020, 10:03 PM   #928
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

i just re-flash stage 1, without boost reduction
can't feel any different to lugging issue
gear also shift fast at below 2000rpm
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 04:03 AM   #929
kobluna
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I guess everyone has the lugging issue with BM3 tune but maybe others doesn't care about it or drives always in Sport. I don't want to drive in Sport all the time because this is my daily and I do care about comfort and fuel economy. But I still would want the power to be there when I put down pedal.

I'm also going to flash XHP with modified shift points to mitigate the issue but better solution would be if PTF could rework the map so that AT8 would act more like it does with stock tune. I mean it's ok that it shifts to higher gear when there is very little throttle applied, i.e. cruising. But when acceleration is needed it would be better it would down shift as it does with stock tune.

I'm actually considering to go with a custom tune because of this issue so I can ask them to do a map with limited torque down low and progressive torque curve. Let's see when summer comes if I want to spend 500€ for custom tune or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
You know that lugging issue is below 1500 rpm...stock N20/26 have it. Seriously put it on sport mode and it will disappear.
Yes, also stock N20 has it in some degree but S1 tune makes it much more bad. AT8 shift logic doesn't help either because it doesn't downshift even with moderate gas. Only when you really step on it it will downshift. Sport is not an option for me for all the situations like I described earlier.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 08:31 AM   #930
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
I guess everyone has the lugging issue with BM3 tune but maybe others doesn't care about it or drives always in Sport. I don't want to drive in Sport all the time because this is my daily and I do care about comfort and fuel economy. But I still would want the power to be there when I put down pedal.

I'm also going to flash XHP with modified shift points to mitigate the issue but better solution would be if PTF could rework the map so that AT8 would act more like it does with stock tune. I mean it's ok that it shifts to higher gear when there is very little throttle applied, i.e. cruising. But when acceleration is needed it would be better it would down shift as it does with stock tune.

I'm actually considering to go with a custom tune because of this issue so I can ask them to do a map with limited torque down low and progressive torque curve. Let's see when summer comes if I want to spend 500€ for custom tune or not.

Yes, also stock N20 has it in some degree but S1 tune makes it much more bad. AT8 shift logic doesn't help either because it doesn't downshift even with moderate gas. Only when you really step on it it will downshift. Sport is not an option for me for all the situations like I described earlier.
i don't know the situation in your car, but my car doesn't face this issue
when in comfort or eco pro, the gear will shift below 2000rpm
even when its around 1700rpm, it will shift to the next gear, keeping the engine around 1500 rpm
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #931
DoiyaSan
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luverse View Post
even when its around 1700rpm, it will shift to the next gear, keeping the engine around 1500 rpm
but don't you feel the lugging, when you are in 8th gear cruising at 1500-ish RPM and trying to accelerate, but the transmission refusing to downshift?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #932
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
but don't you feel the lugging, when you are in 8th gear cruising at 1500-ish RPM and trying to accelerate, but the transmission refusing to downshift?
mine downshift just normal pedal engagement like when it was stock...usually firm push on the gas pedal... maybe a 1/4 down and the transmission downshift.

isn't it suppose to do that... we talking comfort mode here.... which it prioritizes comfort and mpg. you need to let the car know you want to downshift.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #933
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

I think PTF ATM is stretched too far with all theese DME's for all the models across the Bimmerworld and won't be able to address this kind of issue in the current timelines. Will have to probably get a custom tune done at a local shop to tweek it proper..
      02-26-2020, 05:55 PM   #934
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
when in 8th gear cruising around 1200 rpm, and i try to accelerate, it will instantly downshift so it reach around 2000 rpm
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 04:10 AM   #935
kobluna
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
when in 8th gear cruising around 1200 rpm, and i try to accelerate, it will instantly downshift so it reach around 2000 rpm
Was it like this with your N20 also? Or is it different with your current B48?

For me it definitely doesn't downshift as easily as when stock. So I get lugging more often. If I push the pedal down more then of course it downshifts but then the car accelerates too quickly and I would rear end the car in front of me. You know, for me this problem happens in city with traffic so I can't just drive as I (or car) would like.

In 8th or other higher gears the problem is not as bad because there is usually more room to make quick acceleratation. Still doesn't change the real problem that there's too much torque down low which makes AT8 to keep rpms too low.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 04:12 AM   #936
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Was it like this with your N20 also? Or is it different with your current B48?

For me it definitely doesn't downshift as easily as when stock. So I get lugging more often. If I push the pedal down more then of course it downshifts but then the car accelerates too quickly and I would rear end the car in front of me. You know, this problem happens in city with traffic so I can't just drive as I (or car) would like.
i don't believe my previous N20 have the same problem
it shifting quickly and instantly, more quick and instant after i reflash the transmission using BM3 transmission reflash
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 04:24 AM   #937
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46 View Post
Just because a turbo is small and can target large amounts of boost at 2000 rpms, doesn't mean that the tuner has to or should. Yes, an MHI turbo would help raise the powerband to a somewhat higher rpm, but you can still target a progressive boost curve and create a low torque tune, with custom tunes, even with the small factory turbo. Also if manual transmission or in manual mode, not giving large amounts of throttle at low rpms is a good idea. Using sport/sport+ mode would help as well. Just use better judgement in what lugging is and don't do it. I love bootmod3, but I look at some of these dynos and the amounts of torque they are producing at low rpms is fucking ridiculous...
This is exactly why i run the m2 stage 0+. More linear power, more top end, more useable power. You dont get this rubbery gob of torque which flames out by 4k rpm.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:07 AM   #938
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport

Garage List
Quote:

Never experienced this, but then again I drive in Sport 95% of the time. Why don't you do that as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #939
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris View Post
Never experienced this, but then again I drive in Sport 95% of the time. Why don't you do that as well?
when stuck in traffic, it will be more convenient to drive in comfort or eco pro, to save some pennies on fuel
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:56 PM   #940
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
when stuck in traffic, it will be more convenient to drive in comfort or eco pro, to save some pennies on fuel
What you doing stuck in traffic?

For real tho I have bm3 s1 and I don't feel what you guys describing.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:01 PM   #941
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
What you doing stuck in traffic?

For real tho I have bm3 s1 and I don't feel what you guys describing.
Traffic is my everyday meal

i'm not experiencing either, always smooth in my car even without transmission flash on B48
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:05 PM   #942
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Traffic is my everyday meal

i'm not experiencing either, always smooth in my car even without transmission flash on B48
You guys have cars in Jakarta....

Just messing with you
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:37 PM   #943
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
You guys have cars in Jakarta....

Just messing with you
better than have to walk in the middle of pollution
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:09 AM   #944
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

I noticed the lugging issue when I switched to stage 2. When I switched to stage 1 I noticed it too but not as loud. Switched to stock and it’s there but it was a lot quieter so I didn’t notice as much.

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 01:53 PM   #945
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

Looks like ACN91 maps are available now for n20 EWG L-P for those of us with ACN91. Going to try flashing it today after I do some logging on stage 2 v4.5. Will try to do some logs on ACN91 this weekend after some driving to see the difference.
      03-02-2020, 06:18 AM   #946
smallba
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
I Flashed L-9 93 AGG 3.0 Yesterday, Max Cooling is a nice addition. I watch the coolant temp drop ender load as the thermostat opens early. Boost seem to be more stable in this version as well.
Appreciate 0