F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Brake Squeal - Arrgh!
ARMA SPEED

03-04-2019, 10:18 AM   #23
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post

Mind you my handbrake shoes keep squealing on pull away. Shytner wanted money.

This will be my last BMW.
As far as I'm aware that is a known issue & should be cleaned FOC if still under warranty. I had that on my last 335d and it was sorted FOC - they reported back that the handbrake mechanism had dirt in it & needed cleaning/lubrication - didn't happen again after that...
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #24
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

Well can't stand the high pitched squeal every time I come to a stop. Usually doing about 10 mph to zero and much worse in the dry. So have booked in to my local BMW dealer to sort it out so will report back in due course. Thanks or all the advice guys most useful!
      03-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #25
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybunny View Post
Well can't stand the high pitched squeal every time I come to a stop. Usually doing about 10 mph to zero and much worse in the dry. So have booked in to my local BMW dealer to sort it out so will report back in due course. Thanks or all the advice guys most useful!
Please do - very interested to see what happens.

Think I am going to give up on Shytner and go over to Rybrook as their service is much better regarded and Shytner decided to ignore my survey feedback.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #26
speedski
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
As far as I'm aware that is a known issue & should be cleaned FOC if still under warranty. I had that on my last 335d and it was sorted FOC - they reported back that the handbrake mechanism had dirt in it & needed cleaning/lubrication - didn't happen again after that...
I have to book it back in but think ill go with a different network.

They refused to sort it out.

They told me it was my fault, that I should take off the handbrake before I put it in drive. That should avoid the problem.

I asked are you sure, they said yes. It doesn't make any difference.

More

Ons.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #27
ejbritto
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530e xDrive

2019 BMW 530e xDrive Brake squeak

I have just had a brand new BMW 530 e x Drive, for less than a week. My wife drives this car and hears a very loud squeaky sound when she comes to a slow stop at the traffic lights or when parking her car. She is very embarrassed, to say the least and when the wife is unhappy with a sparkling new $65,000 car, it make me really frustrated!
Is it a function of the regenerative brakes? Or is it anything to do with the new function of this car which has a "Brake hold" next to the electronic parking brake. This prevents the car from creeping forward at a stop light.
I have driven two previous 328 d wagon's for 4 years and never had this occur.
Any help or advise is welcome. Needless to say the car is going back to the dealer tomorrow to sort out this issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #28
ejbritto
Registered
United_States
Rep

Let me give you all an update and thanks to anyone who gives me an opinion
The Service Manager removed the pads and chamfered before reinstalling. Said it should fix the problem. However, I drove home and the squeal was just like before.
Today he says he is going to replace the entire break pad unit!
He will test drive it over the weekend and I will update you on the results next week.
I appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #29
speedski
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbritto View Post
The Service Manager removed the pads and chamfered before reinstalling. Said it should fix the problem. However, I drove home and the squeal was just like before.
He will test drive it over the weekend and I will update you on the results next week.
I appreciate your help.
Good result - sounds like you're getting a full replacement...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 04:06 PM   #30
Fazil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340i '16

Just to put a downer.

I had the same issue when I bough my 340i in October. Squealed from test drive onwards.

Had new handbrake shoes, full replacement of discs and pads, then second replacement of front pads which were chamfered... But still nothing.
Car was in 6 or 7 times in 3 months.
P*sstake to say the least.

Still squeals to this day.

Worst thing is, I borrowed 2 courtesy cars, both with the m sport brakes same as mine, blue calipers... And did either of em squeal... Did they heck.

A PUMA case was raised with bmw technical too, which is why a lot of the above was done in seperate stages... In the end, after the final chamfer... They said nothing more could be Done.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2019, 04:17 AM   #31
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

I have always bought my cars at about 2 years old. Most of them have already got squealing brakes or developed them soon after (Nissan 200SX was terrible).
I have had 100% success in getting rid of the squeal by doing this -

1. Remove pads
2. Clean away the black hard deposits on all of the running surfaces related to the pads moving in the calliper. This sometimes needs a file as its baked on.
3. Apply brake grease to all of these surfaces
4. Apply grease to the back of BOTH pads in the area where they contact the piston / Calliper
5. Put back together

Not only is the squeal gone but there is less friction so that more of the piston force is transmitted into clamping the disc - Brakes always feel better.

My theory is that the grease helps to absorb the high frequency vibration that is heard as the squeal.

The question is - when the garages say they have cleaned the brakes - are they doing this?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 05:32 AM   #32
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveS View Post
I have always bought my cars at about 2 years old. Most of them have already got squealing brakes or developed them soon after (Nissan 200SX was terrible).
I have had 100% success in getting rid of the squeal by doing this -

1. Remove pads
2. Clean away the black hard deposits on all of the running surfaces related to the pads moving in the calliper. This sometimes needs a file as its baked on.
3. Apply brake grease to all of these surfaces
4. Apply grease to the back of BOTH pads in the area where they contact the piston / Calliper
5. Put back together

Not only is the squeal gone but there is less friction so that more of the piston force is transmitted into clamping the disc - Brakes always feel better.

My theory is that the grease helps to absorb the high frequency vibration that is heard as the squeal.

The question is - when the garages say they have cleaned the brakes - are they doing this?
You make a good point and teaston posted earlier with recommendations for grease. I might get some and take it in with me and say put this on the back of the pads!
      03-09-2019, 07:29 AM   #33
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
You make a good point and teaston posted earlier with recommendations for grease. I might get some and take it in with me and say put this on the back of the pads!
Its not just the back of the pads. I think its more common for people to put it there. Its on every surface that the pad contacts the calliper. Quite a few depending on the design and including the retention pins (if you have that design)
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2019, 08:18 AM   #34
ejbritto
Registered
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all your input. Fazils experience seems to be really bad and I was wondering why the car was not exchanged for one without the defect? Should you not apply the Lemon Law if BMW could not fix it?
DriveS seems to have fixed the issue with a elaborate plan. Did BMW follow the regimen?
My car is at the dealership and once I get it back I will update you all as to the progress or lack of it! much appreciate all of the advise.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #35
Fazil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340i '16

Quote:
Thanks for all your input. Fazils experience seems to be really bad and I was wondering why the car was not exchanged for one without the defect? Should you not apply the Lemon Law if BMW could not fix it?
DriveS seems to have fixed the issue with a elaborate plan. Did BMW follow the regimen?
My car is at the dealership and once I get it back I will update you all as to the progress or lack of it! much appreciate all of the advise.
Hi, never heard of lemon law. Googled it and seems to be a USA thing?
I'm getting my car ceramic protected in 2 weeks, including the wheels. Hopefully this will provide a permanent (for 2 years) repellant for the brake dust.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #36
meatballs
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Garage List
Quote:
The BMW service guide documents all the locations to grease so they should be doing this...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 02:22 PM   #37
ejbritto
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate your help.
Let me update you again. The car has been trouble free for about a week now and no more squeaks for about 700 miles.
The service manager said he had to discard the old brake pads, machine the rotors, and place new brake pads in the front. That seems to have fixed the problem -- hopefully for a long time?!
If I don't post again, the problem has been fixed for good!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #38
speedski
Major
Rep

So I had a close look over the weekend - I have the squeal from ONE brake - passenger front.

Looking at the front rotors I can see there is a lip on the passenger side rotor that is missing from the driver side. They seem to be wearing unevenly. The lip seems to be touching on the pad under braking - I think the lip is the squeak. When I got the car with 13k on the clock the iDrive was reporting 60k left on all brakes - car now nearly 24k on clock. The brakes still report 60k wear left on them.

I need to try and get it back in the dealer, but I may need to find another one - Shytner didn't even call after completing the post-service survey...
Appreciate 0