F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport Mode Steering Feels Like Comfort
ARMA SPEED

05-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #23
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Depends what you are quantifying as "crap". The E9x had hydraulic assist steering. It was insanely precise, gave you a great road feel, but it felt like you needed gorilla arms at low speed.

The F3x is just "numb". When the wheel is centered, there is this insane dead spot (worse in sport than comfort). Sure, the VSS is nice, it is a lot lighter, but as a "drivers car" the E9x had superior power steering. As a daily driver car, I have no complaints of the F3x EPS, but it makes you more disconnected from the road.

That being said, the electric in the F3x saves you a ton in fuel since it only engages as necessary and you aren't spinning the power steering pump all the time.
My E92 steering FELT good, but it couldn't turn for shit. The steering had so much play in it, it was ridiculous. Did everything I could to try and fix it to no avail. I never took it canyon carving as it was no fun.
I learned from experience to have steering in sport mode for canyon carving.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #24
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I learned from experience to have steering in sport mode for canyon carving.
There was no Sport mode on my E92.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #25
PiiTViiPER
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbright03 View Post
I'm curious if anyone has experienced what I'm seeing. Over the last week, the Sport Mode steering on my 2017 340i went from feeling very stiff to feeling like Comfort mode steering now.

Is this something that is configurable (i.e. setting Comfort steering when in Sport Mode) that I might have accidentally mucked with? My Sport mode setting is set to include both drivetrain and chassis. Not sure there's any other setting. Perhaps something more serious that needs to be looked at?

Thanks.
I'm dealing with an issue right now where when I put the car into sport mode, the steering will begin to feel loose after a little while for no reason. Then, it will firm up again for a second when I switch out of sport mode and then back into sport mode. Very inconsistent feel to my steering. Is this similar to what you are experiencing? Or is your issue just that the wheel isn’t firm enough, but the feel is still consistent? I also have a 2017 340i.

Last edited by PiiTViiPER; 05-22-2019 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Add info
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #26
dbright03
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i MPPSK 6MT RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiiTViiPER View Post
I'm dealing with an issue right now where when I put the car into sport mode, the steering will begin to feel loose after a little while for no reason. Then, it will firm up again for a second when I switch out of sport mode and then back into sport mode. Very inconsistent feel to my steering. Is this similar to what you are experiencing? Or is your issue just that the wheel isn’t firm enough, but the feel is still consistent? I also have a 2017 340i.
It feels firm at times and then sometimes it doesn't. I can't tell if it's changing based on my driving or it's supposed to feel firm all the time. I seem to remember it being firm all the time initially which is why there's some concern. Another user posted similar issues and then they just seemed to go away. I'm giving it until the next week to see if anything changes before I take it in.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #27
PiiTViiPER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It feels firm at times and then sometimes it doesn't. I can't tell if it's changing based on my driving or it's supposed to feel firm all the time. I seem to remember it being firm all the time initially which is why there's some concern. Another user posted similar issues and then they just seemed to go away. I'm giving it until the next week to see if anything changes before I take it in.
It's supposed to be firm all the time, and then getting firmer when you’re pushing it, but still stay nice and tight the whole time. It seems to change at random times and I don’t think it has anything to do based on your driving. I tried to convince myself that was the solution because I didn’t want to admit my car had a problem. I took mine into the dealer and when I was there I drove another 340i they had on the lot and it didn’t have any of those issues. They kept mine for a week and ran tests and shocker they said everything was fine. It still feels the same to me. I followed up with and email with questions on 05/20 regarding their testing i.e. how long did they drive the car for? Did they take it on the highway, or just around the parking lot? They said there were no error codes but what would an error code related to this look like? And did they inspect anything physically? Or just look at the codes? I’ll let you know what they come back with. It’s upsetting because an issue like this absolutely ruins the experience of having a car this fun.
Who was the other user that had this issue? Can you post a link?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #28
dbright03
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i MPPSK 6MT RWD

Quote:
It's supposed to be firm all the time, and then getting firmer when you’re pushing it, but still stay nice and tight the whole time. It seems to change at random times and I don’t think it has anything to do based on your driving. I tried to convince myself that was the solution because I didn’t want to admit my car had a problem. I took mine into the dealer and when I was there I drove another 340i they had on the lot and it didn’t have any of those issues. They kept mine for a week and ran tests and shocker they said everything was fine. It still feels the same to me. I followed up with and email with questions on 05/20 regarding their testing i.e. how long did they drive the car for? Did they take it on the highway, or just around the parking lot? They said there were no error codes but what would an error code related to this look like? And did they inspect anything physically? Or just look at the codes? I’ll let you know what they come back with. It’s upsetting because an issue like this absolutely ruins the experience of having a car this fun.
It was Alpine_N55 (earlier in this same thread).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #29
PiiTViiPER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It was Alpine_N55 (earlier in this same thread).
Ah ok I saw his response. Thought you meant another post. Sorry for the confusion.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #30
BigJack75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Dream Car

Wish mine did. I'd love sport mode with a light wheel.
      05-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #31
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack10525 View Post
Wish mine did. I'd love sport mode with a light wheel.
You don't have drivetrain only sport mode?
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      09-08-2020, 12:10 AM   #32
thunderuu
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 430I

hi,i have the same steering problem with my 430i, after a regular maintenance.
may i ask
have you solved your problem,and how did you solve it?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #33
Psi5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW F32 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Disagree. My E92 steering was crap. My F30 is much better.
My E90 had Adaptive Steering that varied the input based on speed. It was OK but felt light at low speeds and tightened up, but not quite enough, at higher speeds. My F32 feels more consistent throughout and I have no problems with it. Multiple drives in a G20 were less satisfying than the F32 as well (but there are a lot of things I disliked about the G20, not just steering).

YMMV but the hate of F3x steering is not representative of my experiences.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #34
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

I find the best way to test how heavy sport feels is to reverse with it. I actually don't like how quick it responds and how heavy it is when backing into parking spots. I'm a precise driver, putting over 60k on a year, plus my job as a trucker, so I CAN drive with heavy steering, but it just doesn't feel right, I prefer it to be light with a bit of extra play.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 07:06 AM   #35
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Replacing the steering rack thrust piece makes a huge difference to steering feel. Comfort mode feels more solid as does Sport Mode when it comes to the wheel.
Appreciate 0