F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Why is Active Cruise so rare in the UK?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-16-2019, 01:20 PM   #45
DaveA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
So you've driven in the US, I see.
Many, many, many, many miles.. Yes indeedy do....

I am within striking distance of the "50", which I hope to complete in the next 6 to 9 months...

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Asphalt Agoraphobia is a major disease over here. Consider this scenario I went through with an American born passenger on a quiet freeway. I promise I couldn't make this shit up.

(story snipped from quote for brevity)

Remember the "knot of cars" phrase? That's how many Americans like to travel. Maybe they were all scared by the Tremors films and believe that too much road space will allow some critter with more teeth and eyes than the Vienna Boys Choir to burst up through the tarmac. Sheesh. They duck and dive in and out to ensure that the maximum amount of road surface in their vicinity is covered. Try using ACC in that mess and see how you like it.
Yes, I have had to endure the crawl of vehicles coming past me on the Interstate all doing about 5/10mph over the limit and all within a car length or two of each other... Some states seem better than others, mind... and also the person coming through on the right, running right up to the slower vehicle in front of them, to get about 6 inches beyond me to launch themselves out and past...

I am like you, find my own space on the highway (if I can) and stick on the CC and chill out...

Most trucks here in the EU use ACC and that would help a US phenomenon where the trucks speed at you down hills, then fall back going up hills...

Many folk over here are used to trucks being limited to 55mph... The sight of an 18 wheeler being the fastest vehicle on a stretch of 65/70mph Interstate is somewhat of a novelty...

Also, the "being glued to the left lane" syndrome... Even where the State law is to pull over to the right...

CURRENT - 2019 VW Golf GTI 245 Performance. HISTORY - BMW F30 340i M Sport Auto - BMW F30 330d M Sport Auto w/t M Performance Power Pack - BMW F30 320d Sport - Porsche 997 Gen2 GT3 - Porsche Cayman S - Porsche Boxster S - Seat Ibiza Cupra - VW Polo 16v - BMW E30 M3 (genuine GB import) - Honda Integra 16v - VW Mk2 Polo S - VW Mk1 Golf C

Last edited by DaveA; 05-16-2019 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #46
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D M-Sport Estoril Blue II

I have Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go and find very useful in order to maintain a constant motorway speed my favourite being 73mph also in heavy motorway traffic.
One thing to watch but only if I have passengers is not to set the distance too great from the car in front otherwise cars will nip in and the car will brake.
I donít mind but my Wife doesnít!
I think Stop & Go takes a bit of hassle from motorway driving.
Yes, I have have specced it on my up coming G20!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 06:41 AM   #47
Sasquartch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i Luxury auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Which company were you a fleet manager for to get those stats? A clue, I have been and my son in law has also, we would both disagree...

I know 4 people with Audiís. 3 bought new. Guess what, all bought privately...

So you are convinced wrong. Again.
My mate just bought his second A3 on PCP

His own money.

Only boggo spec and I have no idea if it has halogen lights

Oh, his wife has an Audi too but that was bought second hand
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #48
Wills2
Barge driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G11 740d xdrive

I'd never spec it or any other driver aids like self parking, lane assist etc.. I'd rather spec better leather or an alcantara roof lining myself or better suspension, 4WS or bigger brakes etc..

I'm quite happy to drive the car.
JNW11156.00
JustChris7314.50
1 AKY243.50

05-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #49
Pequin
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I'd never spec it or any other driver aids like self parking, lane assist etc.. I'd rather spec better leather or an alcantara roof lining myself or better suspension, 4WS or bigger brakes etc..

I'm quite happy to drive the car.
I completely agree, at what point does the fun go, I would rather have a manual but hey ho.
      05-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #50
M2Andy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan

Had ACC on my 6gt and used it daily.
Nearly got caught out a couple of times when it went and I forgot the new car didn’t have it when I wasn’t paying attention
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:03 AM   #51
SilverGrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335d Rocco View Post
I had ACC on my last car, Golf GTD, itís the one thing I still miss, when Iím looking for my next car itíll be something which will be on the must have list.
I also had it on a Mk7 Golf, which was standard equipment on everything other than the entry level model. Apparently as it was standard equipment, insurance was several groups lower than the previous Golf. I found it worked particularly well on motorways and A roads, less effective in built up areas, but still worked.

Had it not been such an expensive option, I would have specced it on my current car.