F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Swift spring upgrade noticeable?
GetBMWParts

05-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #1
Alpine-F80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Swift spring upgrade noticeable?

I recently installed BC BR coilovers with 7k front 12k rear rates, and I knew going in that I'd be sacrificing some ride quality to go as low as I want (~1/2-1 finger gap, so not slammed but pretty low). They ride about like I hoped, but on rougher roads it can be a bit jarring.

I bought them lightly used and planned to ultimately upgrade to Swift springs for ride quality more-so than performance, but I'm wondering if the Swift spring upgrade will even be noticeable? Or is that more to do with the shock/strut (which I know BC's aren't the highest quality)?

What I've read indicates that the linear Swift springs, with less coils will allow for a nicer ride around town, just wondering if it will be a worthwhile upgrade. Thanks!

FWIW I'm 18 clicks from full hard front and rear right now, so I could definitely go softer on the struts too but don't want to bounce all over the place either...haven't tried any softer yet though so may give that a try today.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:50 AM   #2
deadserial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 320ix

I would try softening the struts first. What are the spring rates on the swifts? Linear springs arent known for their forgiveness regardless, so I'm sure that its not going to be in line with a progressive spring setup, but I have heard good things on the swift upgrades for other vehicles. My last car was a gs350 fsport. I test drove one that was dropped pretty low on BC with swift springs and it actually drove surprisingly well. Our roads here are pretty good for the most part though.

Last edited by deadserial; 05-06-2019 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine_F30 View Post
I recently installed BC BR coilovers with 7k front 12k rear rates, and I knew going in that I'd be sacrificing some ride quality to go as low as I want (~1/2-1 finger gap, so not slammed but pretty low). They ride about like I hoped, but on rougher roads it can be a bit jarring.

I bought them lightly used and planned to ultimately upgrade to Swift springs for ride quality more-so than performance, but I'm wondering if the Swift spring upgrade will even be noticeable? Or is that more to do with the shock/strut (which I know BC's aren't the highest quality)?

What I've read indicates that the linear Swift springs, with less coils will allow for a nicer ride around town, just wondering if it will be a worthwhile upgrade. Thanks!

FWIW I'm 18 clicks from full hard front and rear right now, so I could definitely go softer on the struts too but don't want to bounce all over the place either...haven't tried any softer yet though so may give that a try today.
I went from the bc racing springs to swift springs. Im running 7k in front and 20k in the rear. There's definitely a difference. They don't sag as much as the bc springs and response is improved along with road feel. I doubt going to a swift spring will increase comfort...but again, it depends on your setup. Def a high quality spring though...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Definitely won't increase comfort. Reduce the strut dampening and that's about as good as it'll get.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 09:31 PM   #5
Alpine-F80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the advice guys. Quick follow up, I went 4 clicks softer up front and a couple more out back and it's noticeably better actually.
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      05-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Putting Swift springs on BC coilovers is like putting lipstick on a pig. It makes no sense to buy top of the line springs for a budget coilover. The shocks will go in a few years anyway, what is the point? My last set of BC Type BR I ran on a previous car lasted about 20k miles then it went to crap and I had to junk it.
      05-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #7
Alpine-F80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Putting Swift springs on BC coilovers is like putting lipstick on a pig. It makes no sense to buy top of the line springs for a budget coilover. The shocks will go in a few years anyway, what is the point? My last set of BC Type BR I ran on a previous car lasted about 20k miles then it went to crap and I had to junk it.
Hey all input is welcome, but your logic is quite flawed for a couple reasons...
1. What does the lifespan of the strut have to do with anything , not only are the cartridges are easily replaced but I drive ~5k/year so at 20k that'll be 4 years...doubt I'll still have the car or same suspension for that matter.

2. Saying it makes no sense to buy top of the line springs for a budget coilover is like saying it makes no sense to buy performance parts for a non-performance car. Sure, the BC + Swift won't be nearly as impressive as an Ohlins + swift on the track...but if you read you'll see the question was about comfort, I have no plans to track.

Last edited by Alpine-F80; 05-13-2019 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine_F30 View Post
Hey all input is welcome, but your logic is quite flawed for a couple reasons...
1. What does the lifespan of the strut have to do with anything , not only are the cartridges are easily replaced but I drive ~5k/year so at 20k that'll be 4 years...doubt I'll still have the car or same suspension for that matter.

2. Saying it makes no sense to buy top of the line springs for a budget coilover is like saying it makes no sense to buy performance parts for a non-performance car. Sure, the BC + Swift won't be nearly as impressive as an Ohlins + swift on the track...but if you read you'll see the question was about comfort, I have no plans to track.
Well, as I said, it's based on the application. As others above have said, it is not going to make a difference in comfort.

I'm not questioning your logic, but I find it dumb to waste money on these things. BC are designed to be cheap and disposable. Yet they "upgrade" it with high end springs.

I went through 2 sets of them in the span of 3 years. They refuse to warranty the shocks as they weren't leaking so I paid out of pocket for replacement cartridges. When new, it had a soft and comfortable ride. Over time, the ride became bouncy and rough, the pillowball mounts were shot and making all sorts of clunking noises. I'm never buying BC (Bor Chuan) "Racing" coilovers again.
      05-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #9
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

The stock springs on BC coilovers are the culprit. The metallurgy deteriorates much faster than the swift springs. That's where your bounciness comes from. They are pretty comfortable with the swift springs and BC will revalve the struts to match whatever swift specs you choose.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2019, 11:28 AM   #10
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
The stock springs on BC coilovers are the culprit. The metallurgy deteriorates much faster than the swift springs. That's where your bounciness comes from. They are pretty comfortable with the swift springs and BC will revalve the struts to match whatever swift specs you choose.
Re-valve shocks!? That's BS. Having purchased the shock replacement cartridges before, they are all the same shocks. You just specify the model and they send it out. They're standard across the range.

They don't rebuild shocks, revalve shocks or anything - you just throw them away when it's done.
      05-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Re-valve shocks!? That's BS. Having purchased the shock replacement cartridges before, they are all the same shocks. You just specify the model and they send it out. They're standard across the range.

They don't rebuild shocks, revalve shocks or anything - you just throw them away when it's done.
Yes they do lol. They rebuild blown shocks for a fee. Or you can buy new. Whatever floats your boat and application.

But what I was talking about is during your order. When you choose custom spring rates, swift or the regular bc springs, they will revalve them to match those springs.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 11:52 AM   #12
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes they do lol. They rebuild blown shocks for a fee. Or you can buy new. Whatever floats your boat and application.

But what I was talking about is during your order. When you choose custom spring rates, swift or the regular bc springs, they will revalve them to match those springs.
No they do not. I've ordered replacements and they will not rebuild shocks.

Revalve shocks? The cost to revalve a shock is more expensive than the entire shock itself. They would not make any money if they revalve shocks as that cost would be more than the entire coilover set itself.

The coilovers are made in Taiwan and shipped here. The US facility is just a distribution warehouse. Yes, they will swap springs for you but that's the only customization they do.
      05-20-2019, 11:57 AM   #13
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No they do not. I've ordered replacements and they will not rebuild shocks.

Revalve shocks? The cost to revalve a shock is more expensive than the entire shock itself. The coilovers are made in Taiwan and shipped here. The US facility is just a distribution warehouse. Yes, they will swap springs for you but that's the only customization they do.
Ok I see it on their FAQ now. When I ordered a custom set some years ago, I opted for stiffer swift springs and they described it as accompanied with a revalve of the included shocks. I suppose they really meant they will custom build shocks at order time to match the custom springs. Never had to rebuild the set however.
Appreciate 1
Z K1888.50
      05-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #14
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ok I see it on their FAQ now. When I ordered a custom set some years ago, I opted for stiffer swift springs and they described it as accompanied with a revalve of the included shocks. I suppose they really meant they will custom build shocks at order time to match the custom springs. Never had to rebuild the set however.
Yes, they come as-is when you order it. There is no after sale service of the suspension. They will just mail you replacement shocks.
      05-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #15
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

I won't say their disposable, just not a great street shock. The bodies and design are no different than a majority of the aftermarket. "Off road use only." They are good for drift cars and stuff but weather and debris will junk them up pretty quickly. Mine had rust after just a few months and along with the uncomfortable ride, i'd never use them on a street car again. But for going low or tracking they aren't horrible.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #16
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
I won't say their disposable, just not a great street shock. The bodies and design are no different than a majority of the aftermarket. "Off road use only." They are good for drift cars and stuff but weather and debris will junk them up pretty quickly. Mine had rust after just a few months and along with the uncomfortable ride, i'd never use them on a street car again. But for going low or tracking they aren't horrible.
I don't know about going low, but they are not good for track. The shock oil they use inside is not very good and the high temperatures you see on track cause it to cavitate. After a few track days, you'll see the rebound and bound performance greatly reduced. It was practically not working anymore after a dozen track days.
      05-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #17
Alpine-F80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah as I've been doing more reading I'm starting to think switching from the the stock BC 12k rear/7k front springs (kit was from M235i) to Swift 12k rear/6k front (what BC recommends for F30 335i) may improve ride quality a little bit. Some people swear the Swift spring 'upgrade' is a game changer on the BC's and others say it's a waste.

I know it's never going to feel OEM when I'm lowering the car 2-3", but my reading indicates progressive springs (nevermind, Swift aren't progressive) are more suitable for street driving than the Linear BC's. I think that, plus reducing the front spring rate by 1k may just be just enough for the ride I want....or it could be a $300 waste, who knows!

Last edited by Alpine-F80; 05-21-2019 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #18
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Swift offers progressive springs?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #19
Alpine-F80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Swift offers progressive springs?
Actually you're right, they're not...well nevermind then on that point!

I actually just went a couple clicks from full soft (was more like 12-15 before) and it really does feel much smoother over rough/uneven roads, so I may be fine for now anyway.
Appreciate 0