F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > GDI Oil?
ARMA SPEED

05-21-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

GDI Oil?

I recently saw a video on Engineering Explained, discussing oils with GDI specific engines in mind. Basically, these have detergents and additives that help reduce carbon buildup on the intake valves. I emailed Liqui-Moly, as I've started using their Molygen oil so as to ask if they have anything like this in their line-up. The reply I received was, "this is not possibe."

So is this actually a thing, or hocus pocus?

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

LiquiMoly is probably correct. No doubt additives/detergents reduce carbon build up compared to oils that don't have them, but I doubt there is a synthetic automotive oil that doesn't. You can still find non-detergent mineral oils, but not rated for automotive use. I've got a quart of that in my garage right now, my chainsaw bar and chain oil.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
LiquiMoly is probably correct. No doubt additives/detergents reduce carbon build up compared to oils that don't have them, but I doubt there is a synthetic automotive oil that doesn't. You can still find non-detergent mineral oils, but not rated for automotive use. I've got a quart of that in my garage right now, my chainsaw bar and chain oil.
Yea, I kinda figured that they (Valvoline) were touting something that most synthetic oils do already. That said, I performed a "de-carb" this past weekend on my car before doing an oil change (finally switched to Molygen). I used that CRC GDI cleaner. My valves weren't that dirty do begin with for having ~45k miles. In fact, they were pretty clean. Could be a placebo affect, but I could swear that my car is actually idling a little smoother.

I have a catch can in the mail. Hopefully between that and an annual decarb with the CRC product, I will never have to resort to a Walnut blasting.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

On that, no doubt the catch can is worth it. When I pulled my PCV hose to install the can the hose was practically dripping with oil. That can't be good.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On that, no doubt the catch can is worth it. When I pulled my PCV hose to install the can the hose was practically dripping with oil. That can't be good.
I can only imagine what our intercoolers look like inside.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:23 PM   #6
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
I recently saw a video on Engineering Explained, discussing oils with GDI specific engines in mind. Basically, these have detergents and additives that help reduce carbon buildup on the intake valves. I emailed Liqui-Moly, as I've started using their Molygen oil so as to ask if they have anything like this in their line-up. The reply I received was, "this is not possibe."

So is this actually a thing, or hocus pocus?

It's true. Lubrizol did a presentation on this over 10 yrs ago. The additives used in Mid/Low Saps oil (ACEA Cx) exhibited a reduced rate of buildup.

An example of such oils would have one or more of the following OEM Certs, LL04, 229.51, 504/507
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All engine oils contain additives. The are over a dozen varieties.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:12 PM   #8
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
Yea, I kinda figured that they (Valvoline) were touting something that most synthetic oils do already. That said, I performed a "de-carb" this past weekend on my car before doing an oil change (finally switched to Molygen). I used that CRC GDI cleaner. My valves weren't that dirty do begin with for having ~45k miles. In fact, they were pretty clean. Could be a placebo affect, but I could swear that my car is actually idling a little smoother.

I have a catch can in the mail. Hopefully between that and an annual decarb with the CRC product, I will never have to resort to a Walnut blasting.
I just bought CRC GDI cleaner to clean up the intake valve on my N20 engine. Did you remove the MAF sensor from the intake when spraying? Does it cause any error on the ECU? My plan is to remove the MAF sensor and spray into the hole where the sensor is remove without dismantle the air intake box.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:51 PM   #9
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I actually pulled the vacuum hose off of the brake booster and sprayed it through there. Just be careful if you go that route as it’s a more direct shot into the intake manifold. Not that you would necessarily risk hydrolocking the engine, but why take he chance? Two to three second bursts. Next time I will shoot some through the intake as well to get any potential blow-by oil from the PCV system off of the turbo compressor/impeller blades.

You could remove the the air box, stick the straw/tube from the GDI cleaner in past the MAF, and you’ll be fine.

Last edited by IraHayes; 05-28-2019 at 07:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 07:59 AM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
My plan is to remove the MAF sensor and spray into the hole where the sensor is remove without dismantle the air intake box.
That's the usual method. While you've got the MAF sensor off clean it too. No matter what you do some codes will probably be thrown, mostly misfires, so it's best to have an OBD diagnostic tool capable of clearing them. If you're doing your own work you should own one anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 06:09 PM   #11
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the advice. I have Carly for BMW that can read and clear codes.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 06:27 PM   #12
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I have Carly for BMW that can read and clear codes.
You do not want chunks getting baked onto your catalytic converter. Carbon cleaning for the N55 and newer is approx 100k miles. Besides there's no reason to believe that spraying cleaner will become evenly distributed to all cylinders anyways.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 09:08 PM   #13
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

I believe it's best to do cleaning of intake valve more frequently to reduce the risk of having the bigger carbon chunks break off from the intake valve. I just done the cleaning last week and all is good. The engine does feel slightly more responsive. My next step is to install oil catch can.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 11:44 PM   #14
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe it's best to do cleaning of intake valve more frequently to reduce the risk of having the bigger carbon chunks break off from the intake valve. I just done the cleaning last week and all is good. The engine does feel slightly more responsive. My next step is to install oil catch can.
Ya, no you don't want to do that. What little build up there is doesn't just break off.

It's seriously not a good idea to use these spray cleaners on gas engines.
Appreciate 0