F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Think I confused myself - 328d 17" tire options?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-22-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
AlexAnthony
Okurrr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d / 2021 330i

Sorry for another "what are my options?" thread, I think I fell down a K-hole while researching this and now I'm overthinking things. Ex: I discovered you can somewhat play with the size options as long as you stay within a small percentage of the stock measurements, such as 235/45's, but then found a lot of conflicting info/opinions about what size(s) are best/appropriate.

My car: 328d
My tires: 225/50/R17

What I'm looking for: decent/midrange tires that won't break the bank. Somewhere around $150 per tire (or less)? Not looking for the cheapest thing, I know better.

My driving style: around 18k per year, mixed freeway/in town driving, mostly freeway; 20-30 min commute during the week. Generally drive, uh, spirited - not a crazy driver but I like to hit the gas, take corners a bit sharp, etc. but not looking to do any stunts/drifting or anything like that.

What matters to me: gripping well in the rain, ride comfort/noise, life of tire. (By that I mean I don't want to have to replace them every year, anything over that seems reasonable)

1) For my driving style & living in Northern CA, would there be any noticeable differences between summer tires vs all seasons? I'm aware of the fact that most summer tires don't come with a tread warranty, which I also don't totally understand why that matters because there's still the manufacturer's warranty that you could use once the tire goes?

2) tire size options - would it be beneficial in any way to go with a different tire size than my current 225/50's? I read that the size can slightly affect the speedo and miles recorded, but also has benefits like better grip or ride quality. Can't afford to upgrade my wheels so I'm only looking at 17" options for now.

I promise I'm a smart guy, I'm just tire-stupid! thanks in advance for any & all help!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:07 AM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...earDiameter=17

I restricted some categories to give you a smaller selection. Tirerack.com is the best way to go, usually. But tires.com (discount tire) also has great prices. Costco is a no-hassle way, but they carry only Michelin, Bridgestone (and Goodyear?)
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2019, 12:53 AM   #3
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

for 225/50/17, i'd use continental extremecontact sport(max perf summer), firestone firehawk indy 500(ultra high performance summer). michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ or pirelli p zero all season plus, if all ultra high performance all-season.

the widest i would go on 17x7.5 is 235/50/17. firestone firehawk indy 500 or pirelli p zero all season plus

max and uhp summers have tread patterns that work best on dry pavment and most are excellent in the wet as well. uhpas do great on both wet or dry and usually have better comfort and treadwear. if you drive spiritedly mostly when it's dry, get summers. if it rains often enough get UHPAS.

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 05-23-2019 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2019, 06:20 AM   #4
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Best bang for the buck is General G-MAX AS-05