F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

06-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #1497
kanpatu38
Rep
Drives: F11 520i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
9C FSC Code is in NBT not TCB.
Explanation was missing.

9c to repair FSC of purchased TCB
If it does not, will you look for another TCB?
Or you give up TCB retrofit,
Is it easier to use apps in tethering, looking for donorVIN that has 9c?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #1498
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanpatu38 View Post
Explanation was missing.

9c to repair FSC of purchased TCB
If it does not, will you look for another TCB?
Or you give up TCB retrofit,
Is it easier to use apps in tethering, looking for donorVIN that has 9c?
9C has nothing to do with TCB. If Head Unit has 9C FSC Code, it can have BMW Apps Enabled via Coding. VIN of TCB matters for Subscription Services such as RTTI, etc.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 04:00 AM   #1499
kanpatu38
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
9C has nothing to do with TCB. If Head Unit has 9C FSC Code, it can have BMW Apps Enabled via Coding. VIN of TCB matters for Subscription Services such as RTTI, etc.
Thank you for your reply.

9c can be used by the emulator,
Is it not necessary to match VIN of TCB and NBT?

I am sorry for strange English in translation.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 06:39 AM   #1500
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanpatu38 View Post
Thank you for your reply.

9c can be used by the emulator,
Is it not necessary to match VIN of TCB and NBT?

I am sorry for strange English in translation.
Correct.

VIN of TCB and NBT should match to keep connected drive services of TCB.

If VIN not matched NBT VIN is used for all services but Remote will not work. If NBT VIN is authorised for RTTI and TCB SIM is active then RTTI will work.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #1501
kanpatu38
Rep

Thank you for answering

9c Look for the file and insert it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 02:47 AM   #1502
domgreenslade
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

I've been reading through this post and *believe* that this could be done for my car. I've only just got it, but feel a bit let down by the fact I dont have bluetooth audio streaming, coupled with the fact that my iPhone doesnt work with the USB connector as the phone is 'too new' for the car (BMW's words).

FYI, I have S663A, S6NHA, S654A and do not have a combox at all. I also do not have a USB in the glovebox, only in the center armrest, with an aux port too.

So I am wondering whether this is actually possible, to replace the unit with one that does pretty much everything i want it to do? Any help would be REALLY appreciated as this is very new to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #1503
testcodes
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I'm planning on upgrading from CIC to NBT as well. Can I get a quick confirmation please if these cables are correct?

Emulator:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Retrofit-Ad...AAAOSwbqpTs-M5

GPS Antenna:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GPS-ANT...sAAOSw7hRWQ2VG

CID Cable:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Radio-N...kAAOSw0GNbEP5T

USB Cable:

Bluetooth Antenna:

Mic:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-CIC-NBT...EAAOSw~0paRLt1

Also, if coding out the combox, do I still need to splice the black wire and tap into the fuse box to power it up for audio?
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=921688

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 06:50 AM   #1504
HaugF30
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30

I'm having a problem here, after Nbt retrofit my scroll wheel for changing songs etc.. is not working.

Also the Oil level menu doesn't show any oil level at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 03:25 PM   #1505
HaugF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetrofitF21 View Post
Finally did my HU_Entry to NBT upgarde. Most things are working

Not working:
6NS wouldn't code needed to use 6NL which was on Donor VIN
Touch on the Touch controller doesn't work, everything else on the module does though
Info display on the basic Kombi e.g. caller id or radio channel when you spin the little wheel (this was working before upgrade) even though CIC Kombi set to Kombi low and Kombi MMI set to aktiv

Also the 'Arrival time' on Nav shows the journey time rather that the ETA. How do I change this? e.g. say clock is at 15:00, arrival time shows 00:29 rather than 15:29

Any ideas on the above?

Did you find out about this? my scrolling wheel is not workin either, i have a Bimmeretrofit emu adapter.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #1506
whatnot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 320iAX Sport

I am trying to retrofit from HU_ENTRY to HU_NBT with navi next week.
The car is 05/2015 and it has Bluetooth audio and handsfree with combox.

I have bought:
- HU_NBT
- X5 screen (I know this needs some physical modifying)
- New cable for the screen
- Wiring harness with NBT emulator and splitter for iDrive touch ECU
- iDrive Touch -controller
- iDrive Touch ECU -emulator
- GPS antenna with FAKRA connector

Am I missing something?
Do I need the iDrive Touch -splitter cable for 05/2015 car? Shouldn't my iDrive cabling be connected to KCAN2 already?

What issues should I consider running into since I have the combox in the back and USB-connector in armrest. Just reroute that USB-connection from COMBOX to the head unit?

Will my service history and TPMS work?

What about bluetooth mic? Will that work without any wiring modifications?

Sorry about all the questions. I am still considering cancelling all the parts since I have so many questions

Last edited by whatnot; 10-07-2018 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #1507
HaugF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaugF30 View Post
Did you find out about this? my scrolling wheel is not workin either, i have a Bimmeretrofit emu adapter.
Bimmerretrofit gave me an FW update for the Emu adapter, now it is working
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #1508
AnteroHare
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d xDrive F31

My notes of 99% successful PnP NBT retrofit for future reference to anyone. First of all, huge thanks to this informative thread! It's doable.

The car is 03/2014 F31 with HU_ENTRY + Combox, base audio system with handsfree, active Teleservices and SOS call system, no navi nor enhanced Bluetooth for audio streaming.

I acquired the following:
- HU_NBT coded for my car (to match the VIN) with professional navigation, voice control, video in motion activated - basically plug'n'play
- 8.8" screen
- Video cable for the screen
- iDrive controller (w/o ECU emulator for touch-sensitive functionality)
- New GPS antenna with FAKRA connector
- New Bluetooth antenna with FAKRA connector
- New HSD USB cable (from NBT to USB socket in armrest)
- New Handsfree microphone cable
- New MOST loop connector

I replaced the screen and the HU (with new display cable), connected to the NBT new GPS + BT antennas which I left somewhere inside the dashboard, original FM antennas, and routed the new USB cable from the HU to armrest USB socket (PnP) under the centre console. I replaced the iDrive controller which was PnP (apparently KCAN2 in the car). I disconnected the OEM mic wire from the quadlock connector and connected the new mic wire (pins 22 and 17), and routed it to the driver's side overhead microphone via A pillar trim.

I disconnected the Combox multipin connector and MOST, terminated the MOST with a loop. I left all other cables on the Combox untouched in case I decide/need to restore the system. Power on and everything in iDrive worked like a charm; navi, BT audiostream with album art, armrest USB, video in motion, new iDrive controller, voice control, handsfree phone, TPMS etc., except I got the "SOS call system failure" in the cluster every time I started the car. And the service history was updated to iDrive only after I took the car to be serviced according to CBS.

I eventually got irritated by the SOS call failure and decided to reconnect the Combox + MOST just out of curiosity. Surprisingly everything seemed to work fine, and the SOS failure obviously disappeared, but I noticed that the armrest USB didn't work anymore; it didn't recognise my iPhone or flash drive. I disconnected the Combox + MOST (let the car fall asleep for 10-15 mins) and the USB started to work again and recognised my iPhone and flash drive. Apparently the Combox and the NBT conflict with regards to USB connection somehow and require coding, even though I can't understand why since the USB socket is connected directly to NBT. Go figure...

I don't know - and I really don't care - if the Teleservices or SOS call actually work after the retrofit. Apparently the mic at least needs to be rewired to Combox (OEM wires) for SOS call but I'm not bothered at the moment. And the AUX in armrest doesn't work anymore bacause it's through the Combox.

But as stated, there was no need for coding whatsoever, everything was done prior to shipping the NBT+controller+display to me. When I find someone local capable doing the coding, maybe the USB conflict can be sorted out too. Until then I have to live either with SOS call failure message or non-functioning USB port... Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 03:50 PM   #1509
Creeky B
Rep
Drives: 435dX

Hello All.
I have an F10 2014 LCI. And am searching for an answer. I have looked in the F10 forum, but stumbled on this thread. And think I found the answer on Page 60, but would like confirmation if you don't mind:
I have purchased a 10" screen from eBay. I just wanted a screen, but the screen unexpectedly came with a Pro Nav head unit! So now I have tried to fit it, but the screen it came with was blank when switching on (the screen works ok with the business nav headunit).

I had to remove the location tabs on the connectors as the socket on the headunit is inverted (see picture for differences between head units).

But when switching on the screen is blank. So does this mean an coding issue? Or a cable issue. I read on here that I need a purple to pink CID cable. But then I read that the cable can be turned and still work. Or is it a voltage issue? I had discounted this as the headunit came with the screen, so I assume they came from the same donor car. But that could be wrong.

I have attached photos of part numbers as well to see if you can help with this.

I appreciate your help and time. Great thread. Thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #1510
Creeky B
Rep
Drives: 435dX

Found solution. On page 12.
I first started reading the thread in reverse as I thought I would see more up to date info. Silly really now reading in correct order.
Great thread lots of information.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:46 AM   #1511
twistywizard
Registered
Rep
Drives: F21 M135i

After a little help.

I have retrofitted the NBT Evo unit into my M135i (Yes I know, not a 3 Series!)

Most things are working.

However I need to connect in the Microphones. I have the PIN out for the NBT unit. Are the Pin outs for where the microphone wires on the NBT Evo the same?

If not does anyone have a pin out for the pins on the NBT Evo unit.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #1512
l.e.s.t.e.r
Poland
Rep
Drives: F31 320D

I changed my entrynav to NBT EVO ID5.
Everything works fine except turning the screen on / off. Once in thirty starts, the screen remains dark, sometimes when I close the car the screen does not turn off, I have to wait until the car sleeps.
I suspect I have to change something in FEM.
Can anyone suggest how to recode FEM from small CIC to NBT EVO?
Big intercooler 3.0D m-performance, remap 223Hp 465Nm, Big brakes 340/330, exhaust 335i/340i, speedometer 6WB, m-pakiet steering wheel with paddles, m-pakiet+m-performance, springs Eibach prokit, Rims 20, Trap 12/15mm
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 02:31 AM   #1513
coupedream
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino blue 435i Gc

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.e.s.t.e.r View Post
I changed my entrynav to NBT EVO ID5.
Everything works fine except turning the screen on / off. Once in thirty starts, the screen remains dark, sometimes when I close the car the screen does not turn off, I have to wait until the car sleeps.
I suspect I have to change something in FEM.
Can anyone suggest how to recode FEM from small CIC to NBT EVO?
Same thing is going on with mine. Also scroll does not work. Nbt retrofit to nbt evo from g30. Anyone know the fix?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:51 AM   #1514
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Apologies if this has been answered, but question I have: does it matter which NBT head unit I go with? in other words, could I pick up an NBT EVO id6 head unit which would allow me to upgrade to Carplay? Or does this only work up to NBT EVO id5?

TONS of info in this thread. some of it went way over my head, but I think I found my starting point on page 22. Just wondering which NBT version I can upgrade to.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=480

I have a 09/2012 build date with HU_CIC and the 8.8" screen - options listed below:
6AA BMW TELESERVICES
6AB CONTROL TELESERVICES
6NF EXT.CON.OF THE MUSIC PLAY.I.MOBILPH
6NL CONNECT. BLUETOOTH A.USB DEVICES IN
6NR APPS
6UH TRAFFIC INFORMATION
6VA CIC CONTROL
6WA INSTRUMENT CLUSTER W. EXTENDED CONT
609 NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL
615 EXTENDED BMW ONLINE INFORMATION
688 HARMAN/KARDON SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM
693 SATELLITE TUNER PREPARATION
697 AREA*CODE 1
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:11 PM   #1515
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
You can upgrade to NBT or NBT EVO - whichever fits your budget.

Only thing that you will need to note is that most if not all NBT EVO units in the US do not have the GPS receiver built into the head unit so you will not be able to use the factory on board nav but if you're only looking to use Apple CarPlay, it won't be an issue.

Looking at your setup, you will also need to replace some of the wiring currently going into the trunk so that these connections run directly to the new head unit instead. If you plan on using your pre-existing screen, a voltage adapter will also be required.

We do offer a service where you can source your own head unit and have it sent to us so that we can modify the logic board to include a GPS port and have it all pre-programmed and activated to your VIN so that it is plug and play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aps View Post
Apologies if this has been answered, but question I have: does it matter which NBT head unit I go with? in other words, could I pick up an NBT EVO id6 head unit which would allow me to upgrade to Carplay? Or does this only work up to NBT EVO id5?

TONS of info in this thread. some of it went way over my head, but I think I found my starting point on page 22. Just wondering which NBT version I can upgrade to.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=480

I have a 09/2012 build date with HU_CIC and the 8.8" screen - options listed below:
6AA BMW TELESERVICES
6AB CONTROL TELESERVICES
6NF EXT.CON.OF THE MUSIC PLAY.I.MOBILPH
6NL CONNECT. BLUETOOTH A.USB DEVICES IN
6NR APPS
6UH TRAFFIC INFORMATION
6VA CIC CONTROL
6WA INSTRUMENT CLUSTER W. EXTENDED CONT
609 NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL
615 EXTENDED BMW ONLINE INFORMATION
688 HARMAN/KARDON SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM
693 SATELLITE TUNER PREPARATION
697 AREA*CODE 1
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 1
aps335.50
      04-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #1516
azatos612
Rep
Drives: E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter2 View Post
Hello.

I retrofit NBT (not EVO) to my F21, all is working fine.
I dont retrofit TCB (Telecommunication Box), so i plug gps mouse direct to HU_NBT.

Coded:
SYSTEM_GPS_RECEIVER --> Nicht_aktiv
GPS_FROM_NAVI --> aktiv
ADAS_GPS --> Nicht_aktiv
TELMATIK_ECU --> Nicht_aktiv

HU_NBT always has the fault code (see picture)
B7F80F Connection headunit to GPS aerial: Line disconnection

Any idea? How to get rid of the error?

EDIT:
EDIT:

Solved this with another GPS Antena.
The old was realy broken.
Hello! Which anntena you installed? Original or chinese?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 03:52 AM   #1517
Kingkajee
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d M Sport

Hope someone can help me.
Having read through all 70 pages here, my issue seems to be unique.

I have an F10 LCI coming from a HU Champ to an NBT bought off eBay. A pretty simple setup as obviously the old HU had most of the features built in. I've completed the hardware setup (Including the trimming and and rotating of the USB in armrest).
I then replaced 606 with 609 and 6NL with 6NS. coding went through fine.

The plan was to buy the USB FSC option from eBAY knowing that the navigation will be greyed out. I dont have an emulator.

However, I have the following issues:

1. Bluetooth just says loading - when trying to setup, I cant seem to find the device from my phone
2. USB in armrest doesn't recognize. interestingly, there is power to the USB. I know this because my phone charges
3. AUX in doesn't seem to work
Navigation greyed out (But I expected this)

The main issue is that without the USB, I cant purchase the codes from eBAY.

Would the FSC issues prevent the features from working? Would having MOST (Optics) have an impact on the FSC validation?

Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 12:05 PM   #1518
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Sport Line 320ded

1. Have you removed combox from trunk and closed MOST and installed BT antenna to NBT?
2. USB connector what color it is? If it is white, you will need to turn it 180 degree and insert it in cream connector of NBT.
3. Sorry, have no clue.
FSC , you can contact me on private.
Appreciate 0