F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Overtaking Cyclists
Extreme Powerhouse

08-27-2018, 07:43 AM   #89
vtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Coupe View Post
Not at all.
Trouble is, here a few get blinkered from the big picture and focus on a very particular point. They also fear to consider another opinions and like vtown just resort to the lowest common denominator of slander as they are not capable of a considered debate.
You've made it quite clear you are incapable of a meaningful debate on the topic. Your only point is that somehow the responsibility is on the cyclist to be more defensive. The law is quite clear, at least in the US, the motor vehicle is responsible to make a safe pass with at least 3 feet of clearance.
Appreciate 1
Hartside266.50
      08-27-2018, 08:24 AM   #90
Alice Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430dX M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtown View Post
Like I said, a lot of a$$holes in here
Considered debate lol

I’d you had actually read my post rather than jumping to a conclusion part way through, and looked at both sides of the coin, it’s not always a car over taking a cyclist that causes a problem.
Look from both perspectives.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 06:09 AM   #91
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtown View Post
You've made it quite clear you are incapable of a meaningful debate on the topic. Your only point is that somehow the responsibility is on the cyclist to be more defensive. The law is quite clear, at least in the US, the motor vehicle is responsible to make a safe pass with at least 3 feet of clearance.
Common sense dictates that all road users should take care and be ready to giveway to avoid an incident, be they pedestrians/motorists/cyclists/horse riders.

Share the road, be nice and patient and we all get home safely.
      08-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #92
vtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Common sense dictates that all road users should take care and be ready to giveway to avoid an incident, be they pedestrians/motorists/cyclists/horse riders.

Share the road, be nice and patient and we all get home safely.
It's a nice sentiment. Looking forward to a time when the most lethal of the road users can move past statements like these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
If one can run the lycra wearing bike nazi over one fucking should!!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #93
vtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Coupe View Post
Considered debate lol

I’d you had actually read my post rather than jumping to a conclusion part way through, and looked at both sides of the coin, it’s not always a car over taking a cyclist that causes a problem.
Look from both perspectives.
I read everything you wrote. I think it's fair to say you are only looking at it from the motor vehicle side, and you're clearly annoyed by some cyclist's behavior. I most certainly do look at it from both sides as I cycle and *gasp* also own and operate motor vehicles.

As others have stated, I do not advocate for irresponsible cycling habits: running lights, riding multiple people abreast on narrow roads etc.

But to suggest that somehow drivers do not regularly violate similar common sense or laws is laughable. Do YOU (or your fellow drivers)not exceed the speed limit from time to time? Pass someone in an area not technically allowed, run a yellow light that maybe turned red before you actually entered the intersection, corner at what most would consider excessive speed?

Most in this thread are not using good stewardship and common sense...they are jumping to conclusions, same as you accuse me of.

Most cyclists are have endured constant harassment by irresponsible drivers that jeopardies their LIVES while the driver is mildly inconvenienced. As a result, some have a chip on their shoulders because of it and may overreact.

I'd like to see how some of you'd behave if 10-30% of your interaction with a vehicle that is 25X your size/weight gave you the finger, spat on you, threated your precious immaculate BMW, or got forbid, endangered your life over a slight inconvenience.

Have a nice day, and please take your own advice: Try to look at it from both perspectives.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #94
Zippee
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CP SMB

Fuck me, they'll be 'cycleaphobia' as an offence next...,
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:45 PM   #95
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_M4CP View Post
Fuck me, they'll be 'cycleaphobia' as an offence next...,
I think it's more fingers in the ears / 'la la la la' syndrome.

People love to have a pop at cyclists, but when a debate is opened they're shit at arguing why the man in his car is so superior. As has been evidenced for the last 4 pages.

As the old saying goes; if you see a bandwagon, it's too late.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 03:20 AM   #96
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I felt sorry for a cyclist yesterday evening, I crested the brow of a hill with a cyclist coming up the hill and a car behind him, car decided that the time to make the pass was when I was just about to pass them (going the other way) so he squeezed between me and the cyclist with his car inches off the guy.

Why the hell you'd do that I've no idea, I used to cycle a lot but I'd always avoid main roads because cars and other traffic gave zero fucks about how close they got to you, plenty of cyclists also started to cycle like tits ramping up the general agro even to other cyclists, we encountered some real bell ends out on a Sunday morning run it was always the ones that thought they were the next Lance Armstrong generally riding a Colnago bike thinking they were on a closed road and that every one needed to get out of the way or not be there.

It's a pity as I used to enjoy those early runs up into the dales.
      05-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #97
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
mikeoz2851.50
      05-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #98
SkyJawa
Major General