F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Brexit... (Moderator: non-political only, effective Sept 2020)
proTUNING Freaks

05-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #1343
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
lol calm down dear.
I was just stating the Government does have some good people who could have been called in.
I'm not saying we would have got milk and unicorns but it may very well have got the WAB through with a different deal on offer. The EU wheeled out experienced negotiators and we got Olly Robin's.

All if buts and maybes now and who knows where the cards will fall but I hope a sensible middle ground candidate gets in.
No names I see.....just more meaningless platitudes.

Jog on.
      05-23-2019, 12:35 AM   #1344
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
Leadsom just quit as she cant Bring her self to announce the withdrawal bill again *and wants a shot at the PM job*

TM really just needs to go now, no denying her commitment just a shame her heart was never in the negotiations and this reflected in her choice of negotiation team. The UK DOES have experienced international negotiators but we ended up with a load of civil servants.
Here we go again with this fantasy narrative that there are a set of geniuses just waiting in the wings to give us a free trade deal with all the benefits of unfettered access to the EU without the membership card....it's utterly laughable that the lies pedalled by Farage are still being repeated as fact.

Please list the names of these people and of course point to the proof that this has happened before and that outcome has been gained...don't bother though as you can't.

Leadsom couldn't even last 1 week in the tory leadership campaign without having to withdraw, she's a lightweight and got out played by a journalist and the fact that she was the leader of commons only goes to show the lack of depth we have in the current political class and she thinks she could negotiate with the EU, don't make me laugh.
lol calm down dear.
I was just stating the Government does have some good people who could have been called in.
I'm not saying we would have got milk and unicorns but it may very well have got the WAB through with a different deal on offer. The EU wheeled out experienced negotiators and we got Olly Robin's.

All if buts and maybes now and who knows where the cards will fall but I hope a sensible middle ground candidate gets in.
Who?

Plus evidence of their prior experience and success and the same for the EU negotiators (before their Brexit negotiations).

Without any of that evidence, the idea that we had better negotiators in hiding is on a par with the NHS post-Brexit magic money fountain.

'Jog on' (mentioned by Wills) is exactly the phrase that the EU negotiators are fully entitled to use against the club-quitters banging on the reception desk demanding continued access as we make our way out.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:32 AM   #1345
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
lol calm down dear.

No names I see.....just more meaningless platitudes.

Jog on.
Lol what so you can Google them to add to your clearly informed coherent "jog on" comment.

Having worked with the FCO and DFT I have seen first hand that they do have and bring in some very talented negotiators. They deal with very complex international negotiations on a daily basis out of just about every overseas office the FCO has. I can tell you there was a great deal of shaking of heads and incredualrity on the way the Brexit negotiating team was put together and hamstrung by politicians.

However I guess you are not interested in all that and you clearly know more than any of us.
Appreciate 3
JNW13122.00
zofinger319.00
      05-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #1346
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Lol what so you can Google them to add to your clearly informed coherent "jog on" comment.

Having worked with the FCO and DFT I have seen first hand that they do have and bring in some very talented negotiators. They deal with very complex international negotiations on a daily basis out of just about every overseas office the FCO has. I can tell you there was a great deal of shaking of heads and incredualrity on the way the Brexit negotiating team was put together and hamstrung by politicians.

However I guess you are not interested in all that and you clearly know more than any of us.
Put whatever genius negotiator you like in front of them and we still lose. We were in a shit position of extreme weakness and the EU were in a position of strength. In fact worse than that, they could really only agree a shit deal with us, give us a good one and everyone else leaves. They could never allow that.......

Not sure what your point is. Naive expectations all round yet again.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:05 AM   #1347
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Put whatever genius negotiator you like in front of them and we still lose. We were in a shit position of extreme weakness and the EU were in a position of strength. In fact worse than that, they could really only agree a shit deal with us, give us a good one and everyone else leaves. They could never allow that.......

Not sure what your point is. Naive expectations all round yet again.
225 made his point in post number 1342 and it was a fair one IMO; not naive expectations, just suggesting a better negotiating team with clear guidance could have agreed something rather better than the steaming heap of excrement the PM and her appointees have returned with.

If you genuinely believe Theresa May's Withdrawal Agreement is the best we could have ever achieved - and nobody could have possibly done any better - we'll have to agree to differ (again!).
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 04:54 AM   #1348
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
225 made his point in post number 1342 and it was a fair one IMO; not naive expectations, just suggesting a better negotiating team with clear guidance could have agreed something rather better than the steaming heap of excrement the PM and her appointees have returned with.

If you genuinely believe Theresa May's Withdrawal Agreement is the best we could have ever achieved - and nobody could have possibly done any better - we'll have to agree to differ (again!).
I don't think there was only one deal available. I think there were various options available, but the EU would have made sure all of those were a bit crap too.

Anything else destroys the EU. We get a good deal and those who were thinking of doing the same get straight on with it and leave.

Right now the fuck up we've made of Brexit is perfect for the rest of the EU. Any country that was thinking about doing the same isn't going to even consider it now.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 05:10 AM   #1349
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Has anyone heard anything as to WHY EU chose 31/10 as the extension date? I ask as I suspect it was to provide media (social and mainstream) with tons of material relating to Halloween. Imagine the memes. Remainers will have a field day.

It's not a Friday, not quarter-end (as the March data was) ...the new PM's first job should be to set another date (i..e: a week or so earlier).
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 07:24 AM   #1350
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger View Post
Has anyone heard anything as to WHY EU chose 31/10 as the extension date? I ask as I suspect it was to provide media (social and mainstream) with tons of material relating to Halloween. Imagine the memes. Remainers will have a field day.

It's not a Friday, not quarter-end (as the March data was) ...the new PM's first job should be to set another date (i..e: a week or so earlier).
No logical reason as such but media headlines sounds about right to me..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 07:33 AM   #1351
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger View Post

The date was chosen to coincide with the election of a new European Commission.

The European Commission runs a 5 year electoral cycle, with Junker (President) and his Commissioners, in place until 31/10/19. Macron didn't want the agenda of the new Commission to be all about Brexit, which of course it will
Appreciate 1
zofinger319.00
      05-27-2019, 05:14 AM   #1352
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Just wondering if the mood has changed in here.

The consensus by a group of pro remainers seemed to be that 'leave vote' was mainly because the population were conned by a red bus or was voted for by old biddies remembering the 'good old days'. A second referendum now knowing the intricacies of what leaving is about would give a strong swing back to remain.

With the gains in the BP and no traction by CUK, does the 'the group' still think remain would win a second referendum?
Appreciate 1
mikeoz2856.00
      05-27-2019, 05:20 AM   #1353
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post

The consensus by a group of pro remainers seemed to be that 'leave vote' was mainly because the population were conned by a red bus or was voted for by old biddies remembering the 'good old days'. A second referendum now knowing the intricacies of what leaving is about would give a strong swing back to remain.

With the gains in the BP and no traction by CUK, does the 'the group' still think remain would win a second referendum?
Don't forget to add 'conned by Farage'!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 05:57 AM   #1354
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:

Chart from BBC news website:
Attached Images

05-27-2019, 06:37 AM   #1355
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Yep if you polarise the results into 'Brexit party' vs. the rest. It doesn't account for brexiteers that wouldn't want a no deal Brexit which is what BP stand for. I'm pretty sure there are no 'remainers' voting BP.

Seems independent analysts conclude that the EU elections have validated the 2016 referendum result.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 06:43 AM   #1356
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Quote:
Yep if you polarise the results into 'Brexit party' vs. the rest. It doesn't account for brexiteers that wouldn't want a no deal Brexit which is what BP stand for. I'm pretty sure there are no 'remainers' voting BP.

Seems independent analysts conclude that the EU elections have validated the 2016 referendum result.
total vote/total vote share stats by remain or leave party are the best indicators as to how people would vote in a 2nd ref., which is the question you asked
      05-27-2019, 07:33 AM   #1357
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Yes, but...

My main reason for wanting a second referendum is to check the public's view on the most momentous change to affect our country in decades. New information is known, new opinions have been shared, do we - as a nation - still wish to leave?

One thing I do not buy from the Leave side is that more democracy is a terribly unjust thing. It has less credibility than the bus.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #1358
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Yes, but...

One thing I do not buy from the Leave side is that more democracy is a terribly unjust thing. It has less credibility than the bus.
I agree on this point which is why i was surprised that not 1 MP that resigned their Party whip and set up the Change Party did not hold a by-election...based on the same principle they should? Test to see if this is what the people that voted them in really want given they no longer sit in the party they voted for?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 08:15 AM   #1359
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
I agree on this point which is why i was surprised that not 1 MP that resigned their Party whip and set up the Change Party did not hold a by-election...based on the same principle they should? Test to see if this is what the people that voted them in really want given they no longer sit in the party they voted for?
As long as they vote in line with how they said they would in the manifesto they stood on, bot sure it matters which party they align themselves with does it?

No idea what any of them claimed they were standing on during the GE though. My MP is Julian Lewis
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 08:17 AM   #1360
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Second Referendum seems like the most likely outcome to me now. Still can't get no deal through parliament, and given the near certainty that in a GE Labour and Tories would both be taken to the cleaners, can't see support for that in the house either!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #1361
Liquidfox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Honestly I do, I don't think anyone has swung to Leave, but I imagine there's quite a few that have swung to remain now that they've had time to do some research, hear more information about it all etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #1362
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidfox View Post
Honestly I do, I don't think anyone has swung to Leave, but I imagine there's quite a few that have swung to remain now that they've had time to do some research, hear more information about it all etc.
Plus people now understand the EU have offered a shite deal (there are many reasons why they have done that - all have been covered in this thread) which will have likely caused them to have second thoughts. Clearly however many still feel 'just leave' (c.32% of the population). - that much is certain.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 03:26 PM   #1363
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
total vote/total vote share stats by remain or leave party are the best indicators as to how people would vote in a 2nd ref., which is the question you asked
But how do you know those who voted for the Remain parties as defined by the BBC did so with Remain as their motive?

For example, the Greens made quite significant gains right across Europe - where Brexit obviously wasn't a factor - so isn't it possible at least some people in the UK voted Green because of their Green policies rather than the fact they're pro-Remain? It's entirely feasible some pro-Leavers voted Green (because the environment's more important to them than Brexit) and therefore to count all of the Green percentage as Remain in the way the BBC have is a bit of a leap of faith IMO.

Also, one of the things Remainers have told us consistently since the 2016 referendum is Leavers were lied to and didn't know what they were voting for, and, with the wisdom of hindsight, many would change their opinion (and hence we need a further referendum to confirm the previous result). However, if all that was true surely we'd have seen a significant collapse in the pro-Brexit vote but that didn't happen; in actual fact, The Brexit Party polled more votes and took a larger share of the vote than UKIP did in 2014.

Personally I think all the European elections have shown is there's been no significant change in opinion since 2016 and in reality the country is as divided on the Brexit issue as it's been for the last three years. For either Remain or Leave to say the results show a significant move in their favour is spinning things into the numbers which simply aren't there IMO....
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 07:21 AM   #1364
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8934451.html
Appreciate 0