F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 340i exhaust valve doesn't close
proTUNING Freaks

07-16-2018, 05:58 AM   #23
Panda340i
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
Is there a second valve on the 340? I thought there was only one right there on the left muffler.

I too would prefer it to be open all the time except closed when I am near the house to not bother the neighbors... I'd like to tap into that wiring and take control of it, but not worth the effort
I have MPPSK which does have a second valve, stock exhaust is single valve.
What do you think of the Mppsk?
I'm choosing between Awe & mppsk
Is the power gain noticeable?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 06:02 AM   #24
Panda340i
Private
Rep

So I guess there is no solution to my problem since everyone wish to have it
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #25
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda340i View Post
Most say the power is noticeable but to be honest I didn't notice a huge difference. The few dyno's we have don't lie and they say about 35 HP, 40 torque increase and time slips show two tenths of a second faster 0-60 times. I consider adding MPPSK the best thing I've ever done to a car.
      07-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #26
Panda340i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Most say the power is noticeable but to be honest I didn't notice a huge difference. The few dyno's we have don't lie and they say about 35 HP, 40 torque increase and time slips show two tenths of a second faster 0-60 times. I consider adding MPPSK the best thing I've ever done to a car.
Great man! I hope you're enjoying the pops & crackles!
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      07-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #27
BLACK HAWK DOWN
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16' AW 340i xDrive

Garage List
OP........... BMW Service Center or Dealership maybe?
      07-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #28
Bullitt1841
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbilt View Post
Bought the 2 valve version since I have MPPSK. Love it. Programmed it to my rear view mirror.

Now I don't have to have the valves open when BMW thinks they should open.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #29
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841 View Post
Bought the 2 valve version since I have MPPSK. Love it. Programmed it to my rear view mirror.

Now I don't have to have the valves open when BMW thinks they should open.

Once were all flashed and settled with your Pure Stage 2, we should meet up with HitmanHearns
      07-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #30
YasM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A BMW

Quote:
For me, it's aways in the open state except for the 1 min upon startup

I don't know what to do

Can updating a module on E sys fix the problem?
If so, which module to update?

Did you confirm it is always open with someone driving behind you?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #31
Panda340i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YasM3 View Post
Quote:
For me, it's aways in the open state except for the 1 min upon startup

I don't know what to do

Can updating a module on E sys fix the problem?
If so, which module to update?

Did you confirm it is always open with someone driving behind you?
Yup
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #32
paulb15480
Retired Car Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, Dinan Exhaust

I had the same problem with exhaust valves staying open

I have a 2017 340i with the MPPSK installed. I am assuming that you have the MPPSK installed as well, if not, then all bets are off!

I experienced the very thing you are describing in your original post. Here are the circumstances around my experience. What you are seeing is not normal for the car (once again, assuming MPPSK). On my car, the normal operation for the exhaust valves is they remain closed during the first couple of minutes after a cold start and when I am operating the car in Comfort or Eco-Pro mode (HA, I never use Eco mode!). Anyway once the car is "warm" if the mode is Sport or Sport+ the exhaust valves are open.

During my 20,000 mile service the dealer updated the "firmware" in the car and when I picked the car up I had the symptoms you described. When I would start the car, the valves would be closed, but after it was warm (60 seconds or so) the exhaust valves would open no matter what driving mode I selected. They were always open as you describe if I am understanding you correctly. The Shop Forman knew of a bulletin for this behavior, but the recommended procedures in the bulletin did not correct the problem. They immediately opened a PUMA case and got Germany involved. It took them a couple of days, but the engineers in Germany accessed the car remotely and found the problem. They wound up writing new code for my car to get things operating normally.

So, what you are seeing is not normal, and like you, while many people would love to have the valves open all the time, that is not the way it is supposed to work. And like you, I wanted it fixed! And it can be fixed.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2018, 06:13 AM   #33
Panda340i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb15480 View Post
I have a 2017 340i with the MPPSK installed. I am assuming that you have the MPPSK installed as well, if not, then all bets are off!

I experienced the very thing you are describing in your original post. Here are the circumstances around my experience. What you are seeing is not normal for the car (once again, assuming MPPSK). On my car, the normal operation for the exhaust valves is they remain closed during the first couple of minutes after a cold start and when I am operating the car in Comfort or Eco-Pro mode (HA, I never use Eco mode!). Anyway once the car is "warm" if the mode is Sport or Sport+ the exhaust valves are open.

During my 20,000 mile service the dealer updated the "firmware" in the car and when I picked the car up I had the symptoms you described. When I would start the car, the valves would be closed, but after it was warm (60 seconds or so) the exhaust valves would open no matter what driving mode I selected. They were always open as you describe if I am understanding you correctly. The Shop Forman knew of a bulletin for this behavior, but the recommended procedures in the bulletin did not correct the problem. They immediately opened a PUMA case and got Germany involved. It took them a couple of days, but the engineers in Germany accessed the car remotely and found the problem. They wound up writing new code for my car to get things operating normally.

So, what you are seeing is not normal, and like you, while many people would love to have the valves open all the time, that is not the way it is supposed to work. And like you, I wanted it fixed! And it can be fixed.

Hope this helps.
I don't have mppsk, but this is the most helpful and informative answer.
Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 11:19 PM   #34
Panda340i
Private
Rep

Just to update you guys, The dealer did an obligatory software update and now it functions how it supposed to be
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 08:58 PM   #35
DrGadget
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M140i F20 LCI-2

Garage List
2018 BMW M140i  [0.00]
Quote:
I have the M Performance pack, but use Carly for BMW Pro (New Version) to open the flap in Comfort Mode and keep it open while my smartphone is connected to the Adapter in the OBD port. I do a lot of freeway driving, so I keep it open in all driving modes.

I thought of pulling fuses 146 and 147 in the boot when the flap is open so it would then stay open permanently ... but this would also disable Parking Assistant, so I have stuck with Carly so far.

If, like me, you use an Android device to connect to the Carly Adapter and want to ensure no connectivity issues (particularly with Android 9 Pie), go to Settings >> System >> Advanced >> Developer options >> Bluetooth AVRCP version >> change from 1.4 to 1.6. If you cannot see Developer options, Google how to open this feature for your device.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Last edited by DrGadget; 08-16-2019 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 09:03 AM   #36
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Trxn View Post
If you have a manual when you clutch in to shift gears the valve will close briefly until you reengage into gear. I know this because I had a very squeak valve for sometime....
Bit off topic but how did fix the squeak?
      07-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #37
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Trxn View Post
If you have a manual when you clutch in to shift gears the valve will close briefly until you reengage into gear. I know this because I had a very squeak valve for sometime....
Bit off topic but how did fix the squeak?
Blasted brake cleaner down it to knock off anything and clean it out.
You can WD-40 it or a couple drops of motor oil.

I find that after a few months I gotta do the same thing again.

Im running afe exhaust at the moment. Not sure how much this differs to others
Appreciate 1
DrifterX514.00
      02-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #38
gareau777
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 2014 (328xi)

Does it helped ?

Did your problem solved ?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 04:07 PM   #39
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Quote:
I got my mppsk in dec. It is a good addition. I have a 2018 340. It is my daily driver. I can be a respectful neighbor and citizen and drive in comfort mode and when I am out of the neighborhood I can have some fun. I don't race the car and honestly I would have enjoyed the car with/without, but the with part (with mppsk) adds a bit of extra fun to the car. It puts a smile on my face. My youngest thinks burbles are cool so winner all the way around, as Dad is now a bit cooler. That will of course end when he becomes a teenager.
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00